colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:29 pm
I like this picture...be careful with the fixative...the wrong kind could ruin the whole effect of your picture.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:32 pm
How, colorbook?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:37 pm
Cool. If 11x14 is what you've got, go for it.

Do any of y'all remember Bob Ross, who did the TV show on Public TV? He with the Afro haircut and the "Happy" trees. His artwork was pretty awful but he introduced a lot of people to the notion of painting as a hobby. I knew him casually through our trade association. Nice guy. -rjb-
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:43 pm
lil'k, I used to apply the pastel to the cotton or Q-Tip and then use them to apply it to the paper. How have you been applying it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
Of course i know him. Happy trees, happy clouds. Some good tips from him. I learned to start with the darks and add light ontop from watching him.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:48 pm
Ask for help at your art store. If you frame it properly, you may not need a fixative.

I found this link. It explains a little bit about fixatives.

http://www.artpaper.com/TrueBlue/teckpastels.html
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:00 pm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:02 pm
I think there was an earlier a2k pastel thread, I might go chase that down and give a link. Someone there (I think) mentioned be careful with the fixative, that the liveliness of the work can be killed at the end. On the other hand, without it, fluff city, at least with Rembrandts.

I have only done a couple of chalk pastels myself, am no use for helping you. Still like both though, because I like the mage the drawing was of in the first place.

Of your images, and really, about images for starters in the first place, people differ on how much to try to match the image. I am on the "use it only as a trigger" end of the range and colorbook arrived at a virtual extension of the photo.... I mention this in that you may be more comfortable eventually at one level of representation or another.

Since I often change things radically, I might lengthen the pond, make it more horizontal, in the first picture. Not that you should, that's just my "oh, look, what would I do" take.

rjb, neat to hear what you do!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:05 pm
The one thing I remember about fixative is to make sure to spray from far away. I ruined my first pastel job that way.

I used to jusy ude hairspray.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:09 pm
I've used hairspray too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:17 pm
Ooooooh. I like the new avatar, Craven.
Hairspray!?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:21 pm
I found it, we talked a little about pastels in the topic Early Paint Pigments - Not Just for Breakfast - http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9194
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:39 pm
I just reread that thread, that's a keeper, lots of good information and camaraderie.

Little K, I like the "Here is your assignment should you wish to take it aspect of your project, that you got the pastels, and ... then what! "
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
Pastels
The thing about fixative is that if you use it too freely you will damp down the colors and they will become dull. Even a really clear fixative, used too heavily, will do that.

I have been told that one should use a mask when painting with pastels, but I've never bothered. They are dusty, though, and can wreak havoc on a carpet. I've also been told that fixative should be applied in a really well-ventilated place. That I do.

Colorbook - I love your half-and-half method. It leads to some interesting ideas, beyond sharpening one's technique. Trying to complete the picture by altering some of the features, but keeping in touch with the pasted-on half could be a lot of fun, as well as providing inspiration for further work.

Littlek - The photos are great and with the pond lilies for a strong color note you should be able to pull off something really good.

BTW - where on the Cape?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:03 pm
Thanks everyone! I'll check into the links shortly.

I bought (I read that you can use hairspray, but that fixative is better) a work-on-able fixative and sprayed down my first layer. I was doing the closer-in image for the second attempt, as i think I said above. Maybe, since it's sprayed, I can scan it.

Osso - that's how I am with creative endeavors. I had a creative writing class in college and could never come up with a basic premise for a story. The professor had a technique: pull 1 noun and 1 adjective out of hats and there's your premise. The favorite combo I got was 'clear' and 'iceberg'.

Tomkitten - they live mid-way out on the cape in Eastham. If I were using pastels for my livelihood, I'd consider using a mask.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:11 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDiAgcWSS7TE08WS9Kk44fY2U7pNox0SsLoQhIz9tgYfQiZc81kQBOhMi*ouoav49GnVOcC4jVaMPZO9BKSBpxNcVx!evh4a8K2YFHHO*o/pastelstep1.jpg?dc=4675455437465312594
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:43 pm
Littlek, nice! That's your first try at pastels? I'm really impressed. That bayberry bush on the right is particularly well-done, there's a lot of depth in it. I think that drawing a rock is one of the hardest things to do, so you've picked a difficult subject and done a good job.

That second photograph, btw, is also a beauty. Those waterlilies! Your family has a wonderful place.

I was a little surprised that the cotton balls/q-tips were not being used to remove some color. I like to do decorative wall techniques and there are techniques where you apply color and then remove some of it; subtractive or subtraction, I think it's called. THAT's what I thought Craven meant, not using them as a sort of paint brush.

Colorbook -- I was thinking more of your half-and-half technique... I'll bet that piece is an extremely fine mixed-media piece. Such a cool idea.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:50 pm
I meanth both piff, the balls I usually used for removing and the q-tips for applying and spreading.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:09 pm
Thanks Piff! I guess at this point, besides adding waterlilies and some plants at the rock-line, I will add some detail to the rest of it. I like that right bayberry as well, maybe I should add more light to the others as well. They don't have a lot of detail in the photo.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
http://sheena86.mypicgallery.com/?/sheenapicture/pastelocean_large.jpg

I found it. Here is my half and half picture. Please keep in mind that this was my very first attempt at pastels and that some of the finer details have rubbed off.
0 Replies