littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:21 pm
I need an art project and since I just got a set of pastels I was thinking I'd give them a try. Can anyone here give me any tips on technique? I was thinking of attempting to portray the cape cod marsh view from my parents' house. It has the right kinds of tones for pastels and I know it really well.

Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,437 • Replies: 105
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:22 pm
Oil or chalk?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 06:46 pm
I'm guessing less oil, more chalk. they're called Nupastels and they are more hard than I've seen before.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:03 pm
Nupastels are in the chalky family...not as chalky as a brand such as Rembrandt, which are true "soft" pastels. Nupastels have a little binder in them, so they don't tend to blend quite as well but they are great for many people. They definitely are not "oil" pastels which are, essentially, glorified crayons (better quality pigment for light-fastness), and also fun.
When you opened your set of Nupastels, you saw a 3x5" piece of paper warning you not be upset if some of the sticks were broken. True. In fact, you should drop the box on the floor so that, instead of trying to use them in their 4" length, you are using them in 1/2" long pieces.
The paper you use should be labelled, in pad form either for charcoal or pastel. It has a little texture.
If you want it by the sheet, ask for Mi-tientes. $2 for a piece roughly 18x24.
The only other thing you might need is called "workable spray fixative." It's allows you to
lay down a layer of pastel and then, after spraying it, apply another layer of pastels without smearing the earlier layer(s). Read the warning label.
I can't help you with the composition. Your on your own; I've been to Cape Cod only once.

-john boy--celebrating 30 years in the art supply business, BTW
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:12 pm
Hey, I didn't know you were a supplier.

I have 11x14 inch canvas panels that I plan on using. They have good texture.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:14 pm
Here's the image I'm thinking of using. I'll simplify, change a few things. There is another image that is close-in on the pond that I could use, but there's no marsh in it.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDiAhIU2qY*6EeQFELOcMH3cHx3Wmx27cwKzosZjHx*sNMVXPThJbeh!v*U1yGXleBphd*N*ybOx56RXKMTBztyf9SvEVkrUsvGRJH59Rc/ccview.jpg?dc=4675455317206530544
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:19 pm
Would it be better to start small and get detailed or start big and stay less detailed?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:52 pm
Years ago in one of my college art classes, I learned to use pastels by cutting a scenic picture in half and gluing it to a (same size) half sheet of blank paper. (one half is blank and one half is a picture).

On the blank side you begin to draw a continuation of the picture with pastels. In doing this you teach yourself a variety of technics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:59 pm
hnh. I was thinking I could do the old grid thing where I copy and make a print of the photo, add a grid over it and add a grid over the surface to be pasteled. Then you can add to the picture square by square.

Anyway.

I did a rough sketch with pastels on some thick, bumpy paper. I have a better understanding now about what I will need to do. I need some of that fixative that RJB was talking about so I can lay down the background color blocks.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
Gosh, Colorbook. That sounds like a neat technique.

littlek -- really beautiful view.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:16 pm
Thanks Piffka. My finished picture turned out so well that when you stood about 10 feet away from it...you couldn't tell that it was two separate pictures.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
Colorbook - that is awsome! Do you still have it?

Piffka - isn't it though? i adore it. that's why I want it an image of it here on my city wall.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
Well, I don't know if this is patronisingly basic but one thing I used a lot with chalk pastels was Q-Tips (in addition to the regular cotton balls).

I also used stencilling techniques a lot and also did pastel/watercolor mixes.

I used to use watercolors or another medium for the land and water and use chalk pastels for the sky.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:21 pm
no worries about being patronizing. I know nothing. I did a couple pastels in high school art classes, but I don't really remember any good techniques. Cotton balls and swabs would keep my hands from looking like they do right now.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:00 pm
I might still have it buried in an old portfolio, however, I'm sure it is much faded by now. I never sprayed it with a fixative.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:06 pm
That'd be a bummer. My mother kept many art pieces that we kids made. I think I took some of them. It's funny to go back and look at your own art from when you were young.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:17 pm
I can remember making some of the art work my Mom saved from my school projects. To look at it now makes me laugh.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:21 pm
colorbook wrote:
I can remember making some of the art work my Mom saved from my school projects. To look at it now makes me laugh.
yeah {grin}
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:11 pm
Art supply stores sell something called tortillons for blending chalk pastels. But q-tips or your fingers work well, too, Pastels are deliciously messy!
With regards to your question, littlek, from 8:19 pm, we advise people to not start too small because you can get hung up in detail when you should be learning to do broad strokes. On the other hand, a big blank piece of paper or canvas can be intimidating. I'd suggest 11x14 to 18x24; and I would lean towards 16x20 to 18x24. -rjb-
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:21 pm
Well, I have 11x14, so I'lluse that. I'm actually pleased with my second attempt tonight. The first attempt was of the pic above, the second was of a slice of pond and bayberry shrubs. I have a better technique for the second attempt. i need the fixative though before I move on. I'll try both views. Maybe I should post the other view....

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgDeAlkVqP*cQgDI0AiiymZ5Y!Aq2uzzny7wPr3d1Iulen6D8WaIQvkWaF1wlloLnPzqyvEK3vAHGN8db3m5IfiZT3grm4C71AwXu2taOe0/Liliepads1.jpg?dc=4675431830569493849
0 Replies