Letty

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:30 pm
@joefromchicago,
Joe, you just made me smile. I am scared to death of guns, but being from a military family, they were all over the place.

Now, I have two antique guns. A double barreled shot gun and an antique rifle.

Ivers Johnson.

http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/3019213802/9463489/picture%202365.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Cyracuz, I'm glad you are alright and back with us.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:31 pm
@joefromchicago,
My Bulldog is looking at me like I'm crazy, laughing at a glowing box on the desk. Thanks for that laugh.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 03:51 pm
@Questioner,
What you call entitlement, we call equality, and freedom from oppression.
We Americans are big on our right to equality, the right to control our own destiny.
It would be the same thing if we were talking about sticks, if criminals were running around beating people with sticks, I would have the right to arm myself equally with a stick.
We don't tolerate anyone oppressing us with sticks or firearms here in the U.S of A.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@Thomas,
And, watch the hamsters -

http://curiousanimals.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/hamster-with-gun-small1.jpg
Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Good point. Also, do you notice that Joefromchicago's diagram contains no claws, and no dart saying "claws"? Talk about concealed carry.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:59 pm
@wayne,
I'm an American. I call it entitlement. We are a Nation full of the biggest crybabies and spoiled brats. I love this country, I love the freedoms I have here, and I dearly love those that served in the military to protect those freedoms. But I'll call an apple an apple. I'm guilty of it myself at times.
wayne

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
@Questioner,
I agree there is far too much entitlement going on.
I also feel that certain issues, such as gun control, have an effect on what I call the burden of trust.
I believe our government should have the burden of trust. We the people pledge allegiance, after all. Our government should be a little afraid of the people, not the other way around.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
@Questioner,
How nauseating. You IRA types always justify your "right" to have the means to easily kill your fellow human beings by clothing it in patriotic terms. Patriotism is the last refuge of cowards, in this case people who can't otherwise justify their destructive values.
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:22 am
@JLNobody,
Good, good. I'm assuming by IRA you mean NRA. Also, if you'd go back and read the rest of my posts here you'll see that
1) I'm not in the NRA, I only own one rifle.
2) I firmly support very strict gun control laws
3) While I am a patriot, and love my country, I think there are some very, VERY severe problems with it. Including the entitlement issue mentioned not 4 posts above.

The only thing more nauseating than 'NRA types' is the 'Guns are the root of all evil and I now have cheese in my ears and will dispute everything you say from now until the end of time' types.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@Questioner,
Hi Questioner !

...the thing about disputes is that one should dispute everything indeed not because any "you" says so but because anyone says so...so while I agree that a certain type of individual is annoying I don´t agree with the principle...
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Hi Questioner !

...the thing about disputes is that one should dispute everything indeed not because any "you" says so but because anyone says so...so while I agree that a certain type of individual is annoying I don´t agree with the principle...

In the main I utterly agree with you. I was merely following the precedent set by our beloved JLNobody.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 10:54 am
@Questioner,
In fairness Questioner, you and I have disagreed on quite a few issues. We've stayed civil, and I respect your viewpoint.
Questioner

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:07 am
@izzythepush,
Likewise, thank you.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:30 am
@Questioner,
Anyone who can have so much fun with Goldie is alright by me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:53 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner, I stay commited to my argument; I'm glad it does not apply to you.
Your "beloved JLA".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, I love your hamster. Nietzsche says that a person who does not hurt others simply because he lacks claws is not necessarily virtuous.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:38 pm
"Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under."

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,

Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent in one year)! In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home, home invasion as we know it to be. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. "You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information." The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws have a negative affect only the law-abiding citizens.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:51 pm
http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Here ya go Dave. An answer to the above, very dated letter you have found.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 10:20 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Crazies can kill more people with guns than they can with knives.
Knives are essential for everyday living, especially in the kitchen, guns are not.
Its a lot better to HAVE a gun and not need it
than it is to NEED a gun and not HAVE it.

David
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 10:39 pm
@ossobuco,
They shoot first and ask questions later. (corny, I know Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies