what does this sentence mean?

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:59 pm
I am totally lost by the meaning of this sentence in the course of translation from English to Chinese. Could any of you help me understand the ensuing sentence?
it is located horizontally by its distance from the vertical fork face and vertically by its distance above the load bearing surface of the forks, or equivalents for other load-engaging means.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,093 • Replies: 7
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:32 am
@michaelzhang,

Difficult to explain this without a sketch...but you've probably got a diagram.

It's describing the centre of gravity of a load, and its effect (upsetting moment, overturning moment) on the stability of the lifting machine (a forklift or other hydraulic device, digger, loading shovel, etc.)

The centre of gravity is measured horizontally from the backstop of the forks (or bucket) and vertically from the forks themselves (or the bottom of the bucket).

Once you know the weight of the load, and the turning moment, you can (for example) draw up a table of maximum loads at different reach (radius) for a given machine.

Of course, in a forklift, the reach (radius) is fixed.
McTag

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 12:12 pm
@McTag,

Quote:
Of course, in a forklift, the reach (radius) is fixed.

EDIT: or not quite.
The guides for the forks (or lifting platform) often- but not always- slope back, so that as the load is raised, its centre of gravity moves closer to the centre of the vehicle.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNiKF-NQGlAfIn5eaiKUqRMGMJd1ICi6HFa61gTy10dQms0Jky

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjJGJZ2PBWa1MM5eSZaBf675VZIb1qTxneB2jyXSjQ9QCyrJMlwA
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 11:54 am

Was any of this helpful?
Have you solved your problem yet?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 12:45 pm
@McTag,
I don't know if it helped him, but it certainly helped me.
0 Replies

michaelzhang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 12:05 am
@McTag,
Thanks for your patience and time...O(∩_∩)O~
McTag

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 05:57 am
@michaelzhang,

So was it helpful? Are you any further forward? That piece would not lend itself to direct translation, and that is why I replied as I did.
michaelzhang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2012 06:31 am
@McTag,
It was very helpful. Sorry I did not see your post.
You are very kind to help.
0 Replies