Be afraid, be very afraid

Fedral

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:05 pm
I saw this article and had to post it. The next issue if Defense News should have more about this and when I see it, I will post more.

Bush Advisors Debating Syria's Role In Terrorism[/u]
(Miami Herald, January 12, 2004)

Senior aides to President Bush are vigorously debating what to do about Syria as evidence mounts that Damascus is stepping up support for the terror group Hezbollah and allowing anti-American insurgents to reach Iraq. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's office has drawn up plans for punitive airstrikes and cross-border incursions by U.S. forces. But White House advisors, backed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the State Department, are arguing against a new military venture with much of the U.S. military tied down in Iraq and a presidential election year under way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 478 • Replies: 2
No top replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 06:21 am
There is little doubt that the Administration will wait until they have won the election or are reappointed by the Supreme Court, before sending more Americans to their deaths in the next invasion. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 06:30 am
I'm not sure I agree with you, John.

I think this group has convinced itself that major shows of strength are what the people (read that "voters") want and react positively to.

I don't think the impending election will stop necessarily stop them, but perhaps.

I do think they will rattle their sabers a lot -- and if re-elected, I expect more "premptive" strikes -- although I think the military powers will convince even these people that further extension of ground troops is out of the question.

As I often end comments of this kind: We'll see.
0 Replies