Tea party isn't ready to cozy up to a Rick Perry candidacy

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:59 am
July 22, 2011
Tea party isn't ready to cozy up to a Rick Perry candidacy
By Dave Montgomery | McClatchy Newspapers

AUSTIN, Texas — Many of Texas Gov. Rick Perry's favorite themes could have come straight from the tea party handbook: limited government, resistance to federal intrusion, contempt for big spending and "Obama care."

As he moves closer to a run for the presidency, he packs a message that seems well attuned to the conservative activists who could play an influential role in the selection of the next Republican presidential nominee. Indeed, among tea party supporters, Perry topped the field of announced and unannounced Republican candidates in a McClatchy-Marist poll conducted in mid-June.

But back home in Texas, Perry has drawn criticism from some tea party activists for his stands on immigration, toll roads and other issues.

In Iowa and New Hampshire, which will host key early contests in the 2012 presidential sweepstakes, leaders in the tea party and related movements effectively say the jury is still out on Perry until they take a closer look at his record.

"I don't think there is really a consensus," said Adrian Murray, former president of the 912 Project Fort Worth, a conservative grass-roots group. "You could sit down with someone who absolutely can't wait for him to run, and you talk to others who are absolutely aghast at the prospect."

What isn't in doubt is the continued potency of the tea party movement, which began emerging in 2009 and helped fuel Republican sweeps in Texas and other states in the 2010 elections.

Although the intense, placard-filled rallies that helped define the movement in its earlier days seem to have diminished, tea party leaders say activists are perhaps better organized and more energetic than ever in advance of an election that will decide whether Democrat Barack Obama stays in the White House for another four years.

"No one really knows just how big it (the tea party movement) will be, but clearly it is the primary source of energy within the Republican Party right now," said Lee M. Miringoff of the Marist College Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the June 15-23 poll with McClatchy. "There isn't a Republican wannabe who doesn't want the blessings of the tea party right now."

The survey showed Perry with 20 percent support among tea party voters, ahead of other Republicans known for strong tea party appeal, such as 2008 vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin, Minnesota U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and fellow Texan U.S. Rep. Ron Paul.

"As far as tea party supporters are concerned, they are very much at home with him both in terms of his social and economic conservatism," Miringoff said. "Even though he's on the sidelines, that's sometimes when you're at your strong point. ... What tea party supporters have seen so far, they like."

Some tea party activists in Texas say there are elements of Perry's stewardship of the nation's second largest state that they clearly don't like. Dallas patent lawyer Ken Emanuelson, a co-founder of the Dallas Tea Party, said that many activists in Texas thought that Perry's stand on some issues tended "to leave something to be desired."

Texas tea parties and related groups were angered by the Legislature's failure to pass key immigration bills, included a "sanctuary city" ban that would allow local officers to question suspects about their immigration status. Perry supported the sanctuary city measure and included it in a recent special session, where the bill died.

Emanuelson said tea party leaders thought that Perry could have played a more aggressive role in pushing the bill, and they want the governor to call another special session to deal with immigration issues.

Tea party critics have faulted Perry over his aggressive push for the now-dead Trans-Texas Corridor, which would have acquired thousands of acres of private property to build toll roads and other highways, and for his record as a former Democrat who was Al Gore's Texas campaign chairman in 1988.

Despite the concerns, Perry has championed many of the litmus test issues advanced by the tea party and was one of the first political officials in Texas to recognize the movement's political power.

He's spoken at numerous tea party rallies and echoes tea party-oriented themes in his book, "Fed Up." Defiance of what he considers federal overreach and his calls to roll back government — exemplified by his insistence on spending cuts and no taxes during the recent legislative session — have been hallmarks of his decade-long tenure in the governor's office.

Perry spokesman Mark Miner, while acknowledging that "there is always room for disagreement," said that Texas' longest-serving governor and the tea party share "common goals." Perry's policies, Miner said, "resonate with a majority of tea party activists."

Perry, who began contemplating an entry into the race about two months ago, is expected to make a decision in several weeks. In Iowa and New Hampshire, some conservatives said they were trying to size up his record, while others said they were waiting until he made a decision before scrutinizing his positions.

"I think there is kind of a yearning for a candidate like Governor Perry," said Rob Gettemy, a Marion, Iowa, businessman who ran unsuccessfully for Congress last year. "We don't have a tea party candidate who has executive experience."

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/07/22/118082/tea-party-isnt-ready-to-cozy-up.html#ixzz1Sw6sKwlg

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:07 am
I have long known of and dspised the man. My governor. P-tooey.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:12 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
http://radiodemagogues.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/original.png
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:13 am
@edgarblythe,
I can vision you with a profound feeling of aversion, loathing, sickening, and nausea.

BBB
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:39 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I can vision you with a profound feeling of aversion, loathing, sickening, and nausea.

BBB

That's the Obama effect... it will pass in 2012
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:46 am
It was funny to me (in a sickly ironic sort of way) when I heard that one reason people wouldn't vote for Perry for president is that "America isn't ready for another Texan in the White House yet." Hell, some of America can't frikkin WAIT for another gun's-blazin', empty-headed fratboy. I live and work among the potential Perry voters everyday.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
The man does not respect Social Security and Medicare. Twice there was enough doubt in cases where he allowed executions to proceed. He would rather stockpile money than keep our schools and medicaid functioning well. I could nose around and remind myself of other reasons, but these alone are enough for me.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:54 am
@snood,

Texas is the only state that's thriving despite all of Obama's efforts to kill out capitalist economy...
this republic needs help from Texans more today than ever before.

America can't wait for the arrogant, under-achieving empty-suit to be voted out of office in 2012.

raprap

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:14 am
@H2O MAN,
Typical Waterdude BS. Do you ever consider researching what you spout?

Texas unemployment as of June 2011 is slightly better than the national average, but it is nowhere near the top of the states. I count 25 states with a lower unemployment.

List of U.S. states by unemployment rate

Question waterdude--do you ever use that space between your ears for anything other than a hat rack?

Rap
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
He supports creationism, denies global warming and I saw somewhere that he suggested Texas secede from the Union. He doesn't support freedom of choice in pregnancy, doesn't like gays or support same sex marriages, and just generally sounds like a cretin. Too extreme even by Tea Party standards
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:37 am
@mags314772,
I beg to differ on the too extreme sentiment. That's right up the alley of many of the tea party base.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Molly Ivans intensely disliked him. Waterman likes him. Thats good enough for me. I wouldent vote for him if he was the only one running!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 07:29 pm
@mags314772,
mags314772 wrote:

He supports creationism, denies global warming and I saw somewhere that he suggested Texas secede from the Union. He doesn't support freedom of choice in pregnancy, doesn't like gays or support same sex marriages, and just generally sounds like a cretin. Too extreme even by Tea Party standards

In fairness, he did not say Texas should secede from the union. But he did make statements pandering to that crowd.
0 Replies