So how much fluid does YOUR bladder hold?

chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:42 pm
I occassionally have to take a diuretic, which of course makes you have to pee every 15 minutes for a few hours.

I get annoyed because I'll run to the bathroom, feeling like I have to bust, and it doesn't seem like I pee out a tremendous amount. Oh, it's definately flowing, but it feels like my bladder should be holding a lot more to feel that way.

Soooo.....I decided to measure it.
Each time I went to the ladies today, I brought this just under 16 oz plastic glass in with me.

Every single time, the results were remarkably consistant.

I estimate each time there was between 8 and 9 oz voided.

Hey! Let's measure our pee!

It's fun!

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:49 pm
@chai2,
Damn you, I have a longstanding theory that for every beer you drink you pee more than 1 beer. I've never measured it (just eyeballing the measurement as it is discharged) but now you are making me seriously think about peeing into bottles to prove it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:51 pm
@chai2,
Tagged until I can find a measuring cup. Always wanted to know.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:55 pm
@chai2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD13qIlpDq8
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:57 pm
@Rockhead,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRx0bup8ubM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXSCUjZDwk
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:02 pm
Well, I'm glad this got the attention of 2 highly regarded persons of esteem.

Also, there's the matter of the pee hole opening (that's a medical term)

I don't know if men's size differ a lot, but let me tell you, you can sure tell the womens are, from what you hear behind the stall door.

There's a generally accepted range of flow I guess, but sometimes a woman will go into the toilet, and I swear, it sounds like someone opened up a garden hose.

You know how ususally you get a nice stream going, and it's a steady sssssssss.....for awhile, then tapers off? Some women, it sounds like they dump a glassful of water in the commode. KA-SPLASH!!!

Usually they don't pee long, it's like they just dump the whole load. Others, God, even THAT goes on forever. KA-SPLASH, then sound of someone emptying a 2 liter bottle, then a final KA-SPLASH!
chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:05 pm
@Rockhead,

I love the line "Boy, that was some good peein!"
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm
@chai2,
When you digest your food the chemicals are absorbed and incorporated into whatever your body needs. The rest is excreted into solids or pee. The unwanted water in the food digested is in the pee so whatever liquid you ingest will include the liquid waste of food digested. So You pee more than the liquid you drink.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:08 pm
@talk72000,
and the smell of asparagus is never needed by the body...
Questioner

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:08 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Well, I'm glad this got the attention of 2 highly regarded persons of esteem.

Ouch.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:09 pm
@chai2,
I've done a measured 750ml.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:10 pm
@Questioner,
I think she was talking about you and bob...

I am not real high on the esteem list.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:16 pm
@roger,
Was that like a reg'lar pee, or did you have to drink and hold a lot of water?

I've had several sonograms of my uterus, and, not being pregnant, had to drink copious amounts and hold it for what seems like eons.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:31 pm
@chai2,
back when I was hauling cars over the road at night, I usedtocould fill a gatorade bottle in one sitting.

I didn't stop a lot once we were rolling...
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:34 pm
@chai2,
Done in the hospital via catheter. Since the nurses weren't always 'available', I sometimes (always) had to wait longer than I preferred.
chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:02 pm
@roger,
Wasn't that then a cumulative 750 over a period of time?

chai2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

back when I was hauling cars over the road at night, I usedtocould fill a gatorade bottle in one sitting.

I didn't stop a lot once we were rolling...

Years ago, when I was married to my first husband, I learned how to pee while driving. (not an easy trick for a female)

We were in 2 separate vehicles, and he was a nut case about stopping.

There I would be, careening down the highway doing at least 70, yanking my pants down, positioning a cup under the works, steering, concentrating, cursing the day I met him.

Then, getting rid of the evidence.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:17 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

There's a generally accepted range of flow I guess, but sometimes a woman will go into the toilet, and I swear, it sounds like someone opened up a garden hose.

You know how ususally you get a nice stream going, and it's a steady sssssssss.....for awhile, then tapers off? Some women, it sounds like they dump a glassful of water in the commode. KA-SPLASH!!!

AC-tu-a-ly, it all depends on how long it's been since the previous pee. Sometimes I wait so long and my bladder is so full - and I have no idea if this is clinical or not - You. Simply. Can't. Go. more than a trickle. What? 2 mins? 3 mins? it sometimes seems like 5 mins. How long can it take to trickle a bladderfull? The weird thing is is that once you're in trickle mode it never increases beyond that.

It's like the guy in the baseball scene... your bladder is ready to explode, you've held it for whatever reason and you finally make it to the toilet and then... just a trickle... for what seems like an eternity. Those are the times that it takes a while to feel like you don't have to go again 7 seconds later. It's just your bladder slapping you upside the uterus, or something, for putting it through that much trauma.

I'd much prefer the garden hose trauma than the trickle trauma.
Questioner

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:19 pm
@chai2,
That does indeed take talent. I've a few female friends that drive trucks, and they say that it's something that has to be practiced numerous times before any semblance of perfection can be reached.

One of the keeps a gravy boat in her cab due to her inability to perfect the 'bottle maneuver'.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:20 pm
@chai2,
It was all in one big go. Like always, it built up over time. I mean, we're not talking Foley catheter here.