It was then that I realized there were only 13 other members here

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We're rather ambivalent about Bournemouth, but they hate us. I'm quite pleased they never got promoted last season, because having Portsmouth fans to contend with is enough. Brighton fans aren't always on their best behaviour either.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:20 pm
@Ben Smith,
If they're ripping anyone off it's the advertisers, and who gives a **** about them?
Ben Smith

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Well that's true. We'll leave it at that.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:29 pm
@Ragman,
Why don't I see Merry Andrew on that list?

(Or Lustig Andrei, for that matter.)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
@Ben Smith,
The numbers are people who have signed up since a2k started. Some of us have been with it from the beginning, in late 2002. We've seen people come and go, and come back again, including the person who started this thread - and some even after a couple of years, and go again, and come back again. Sometimes they come back with a new name, having forgotten their password or maybe even old name when they now have a new email address or computer; they often tell us, though maybe not right away, and not for nefarious reasons. Sometimes people just ask one question, get an answer they like, and show up again much later because they remember they got an answer here.

There isn't book cooking here.
To somehow cull the large number who signed up for membership is not a task a free site with volunteer moderators needs to get involved in, even if it was feasible.

Whoever said (I'm not looking back) about numbers said to be online at any one time possibly being spybots, some of them are "guests" reading, some spybots perhaps looking for links on threads, or whatever it is spybots do, and some regular or new posters, who may just be reading, or didn't log out and are in the kitchen cooking.

If you have further doubts, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
To my knowledge, he's not active anymore (merry andrew). This topic was about the currently active ones.
sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm
@Ragman,
Case in point! (Merry Andrew IS Lustig Andrei, couldn't get back in as Merry Andrew? Not sure.)
wandeljw

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:04 pm
@Ragman,
Your German is rusty, Ragman. Can you translate Lustig Andrei?
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
@sozobe,
TY. I didn't know that. I like him and enjoy his threads.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:39 pm
@wandeljw,
ahh.. That's German for Merry andrew?! Capice!
Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:53 pm
@Ragman,
and then there were none...

http://sharetv.org/images/miss_marple_uk-show.jpg

or were there Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:56 pm
@sozobe,
Laughs. I was so glad he was back when I figured that out.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
I got to like a person on the books threads and a few other types of threads quite well a couple of years ago, such a sharp and interesting woman, Pemerson.
Turned out she was a poster I had liked years before, equally well, TexStar. (She told us her old name at some point.) I would guess there was some sign in razzmatazz in the way at the time she tried to get in again - as many know, that stuff can happen. I think I was ossobuco2 at some point, when I was near hysteric to just sign on.

As I've said recently somewhere else, shortly after I picked my online name back on Abuzz.com - taking about sixty seconds, after pizza was already taken - I didn't like it anymore, but it was my identifier. Anyway, re getting into a2k, the mods or another poster helped me get a grip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:19 pm
@Ben Smith,
No, we won't. What are you two intimating?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
And many others I've thought of since. I could come up with a lot more. I almost want to, but won't go there.

There are more people here than most of us can keep in mind for any one kind of post like Rags tried to do. And that is just re the surface regulars. There are a lot of other regulars, game threads, puzzle folks, rap, english as a language threads. Sometimes people of keyed in interest cross over to the other threads on the board.

It is inevitable that people who are cared for are skipped, not on purpose. Rags did explain his method, basically a riff on those whose names came to the fore for him in that posting time. He is not the first or the last to feel in the sights for starting a list.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:47 pm
@ossobuco,
or off a list.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:55 pm
@Ben Smith,
Ben Smith wrote:
I think it's disingenuous to claim 100,000+ membership when it's patently obvious there's not, that's all.

But like I said, no big deal.

You are spending a lot of time arguing over something you consider to be small potatoes.

For the record, I began this thread as a lark, I wasn't serious...or was I?...that there are only 13 members. As to the number of members and the lack of inactive member purging, ossobuco placed the answer nicely, I've include certain parts here and have a further response to it after for you Ben Smith.

ossobuco wrote:

We've seen people come and go, and come back again, including the person who started this thread - and some even after a couple of years, and go again, and come back again.

There isn't book cooking here.
To somehow cull the large number who signed up for membership is not a task a free site with volunteer moderators needs to get involved in, even if it was feasible.

If you have further doubts, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

When I looked through my past posts I had a run from Sept.2009 to Augustt.2010 where I didn't make a single post.

Prior that, I went from May 2007 to June 2009 with no postings, I was off doing other things (like nearly croaking and then physically rehabbing among other things.

As ossobuco put it we sign up, some make a few posts some none, some disappear for times. I have to ask Ben Smith, what does it matter in the day to day? I'd really dread having to come here one day and find I'd been purged from the rolls because I was off elsewhere or without computer access for a period of time.

I prefer looking at the membership numbers which are shown as indicating the number of people what found this site and felt it worthy to register at.

Now come on Ben and join the other 13 of us and help radicalize the free radicals here, it'll be good for your equilibrium.

We now return to our regular programming.
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Embarrassed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:09 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturge..
I'd have sent you heart types of emoticons but we'd have had to blow them up.. because I am not an emoticon fan.

As it happens, sturgis and I are apt to disagree, about politics if I can remember, except the times we do agree. He writes well, has over the years, and now weller (sic), after a dip. Man with wit.
I write well and often lesser.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes it's been an up and down roller coaster for many of us in the health area, I hang on just to see what'll happen next. Our politicals aren't always the same; but, I'd fear being in a place where I agreed with everyone.

Don't worry about writing less, main thing is that you do, I still recall the stretch of time where I had to relearn putting words in order. (thanks to ehBeth who suggested the usage of word games here...I cheated and did most of my word games on other sites, I signed up at 2 sites just for that purpose and haven't had any other involvement on them).

Wait...I have wit? You mean I'm not just insane?