It was then that I realized there were only 13 other members here

wandeljw

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:40 am
@Gargamel,
Thanks, Gargamel. I was having a hard time getting people to believe me.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:43 am
@Ragman,
I'm upset that you have me down as izziepush. Does the definite article mean nothing to you? Also Izzie with an ie is a very lovely lady. I have a y, and I'm a degenerate bastard.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:04 pm
who are you people

and why did you sign up to be in MY hand basket??? Confused
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:23 pm
@shewolfnm,
because you're fun..
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis The Magnificent wrote:
It became obvious when I saw the absurdity in the posts by supposedly 3 of them, that there couldn't be more than 13 members here other than myself.

Sure there'll be doubters and naysayers but you all know it's true.

msolga wrote:
So, Sturgis, are you going to expand on your reasons for making this really interesting observation?

Are you suggesting that there are a handful of sock puppets all over the place here, working tirelessly to create the impression that they're a crowd?

Hmm...as can be seen in the above exchange, I seem to be having conversations with myself again.
Sometimes I go Ukrainian and sometimes Polish, it's the only way to tell me apart from myself. Confused But what does it matter as long as there's good borscht on the menu?

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
I did distinguish between you two, though tragically, I misspelled your name. I hope your descendants won't be marred for life. I'll change it in City Hall records.

To my defense, on my kybd, letters T and H and E cannot be pressed in sequence.
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:16 pm
@Ben Smith,
Curious as to why you feel it is strange or disingenuous? It's not like the info is your personal home address, your phone number or has a hold of your bank account, etc. I see little harm done from the claim.

Do you know for a fact that other sites don't do the same exact thing? It just so happens that I know for a fact that many of Internet dating sites retain info from former or inactive members for years.

Perhaps A2K should state that it has 1000 interactions /day and 365k interactions /yr instead of saying it has over 100k members? Suggest a change to the text to say it has had 100k members since going online? Maybe you can suggest that to administration?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:21 pm
@Ragman,
I'm just pleased to know I'm in City Hall.
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy or isn't he?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:49 pm
@Ragman,
Well I don't care who's in City Hall, as long as it's not Royston Twatting Smith.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:37 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I have a y, and I'm a degenerate bastard.

<chuckles>

but ... but... you iz a Saint boy!

http://www.djfootballprogrammes.co.uk/programmes/445-439-home/2003-04-southampton-v-everton-premier-league.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 02:57 pm
@Izzie,
Thank you, that is a very beautiful sight.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:04 pm
@izzythepush,
That's Saint Fratton, isn't it? Wink

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:05 pm
@izzythepush,
http://i53.tinypic.com/23ifi8n.jpg
Ben Smith

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
@Ragman,
Not that I think it's a big deal but....
Quote:
Curious as to why you feel it is strange or disingenuous?

I think it's disingenuous to claim 100,000+ membership when it's patently obvious there's not, that's all.

Quote:
It just so happens that I know for a fact that many of Internet dating sites retain info from former or inactive members for years.

I didn't say anything about retaining info, Edgar brought that up, that's the norm.
What I found unusual was the inability to cancel your membership, now that is not the norm and I wonder is it so, so as to inflate the membership total which, yes, I do find disingenuous.
Explain to me why you think A2K have a "you cant cancel your account" policy and if you also know for a fact if many other social or dating sites do so, this is the only one I've ever come across.

But like I said, no big deal.
Izzie

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:15 pm
@izzythepush,
<passes MrSheen, shines halo> Razz
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you trying to pick a fight or something? I suppose it's because of the memorial cup. Alright Bilbao won it, but it was a three horse race. Southampton 3-0 Werder Bremen.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Not really, but back in the good old days (just two programs on tv ... plus Southern), I've been a supporter of the The Cherries Wink
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:56 pm
@Ben Smith,
Ben Smith wrote:

Explain to me why you think A2K have a "you cant cancel your account" policy

I'm obviously not Ragman but my guess on this has always been that the volunteers already have too much to keep up with spammers and active members to worry much about inactive members. I know they wouldn't be a priority for me.
Ben Smith

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 04:06 pm
@ehBeth,
Fair enough, although I cant see it being that difficult to keep up on the couple of 100 or so active members.
I don't buy it and am still suspicious of the non cancellation policy. It smacks of cooking the books to me concerning membership numbers.
But so be it.