America and the UN

Natwest

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:45 am
I'd like to get some thoughts on the US and the UN. particaularly in the region of pre 1956 and whether the UN acted according to its own policies or if the USA lead it "by the nose", i.e. dragging it into the Korean war, and blocking UN intervention in the Hungarian revolts in the communist block to gain the upper hand in the cold war?

thanx :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 763 • Replies: 2
No top replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 10:04 am
Sad To my knowledge US has never played any useful role in UN.All I hear about it is that, it dictates UN.This is is inspite of being one of the biggest arrears amongst defaulters.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:42 am
The United States is assessed 25 percent of the United Nation's general budget. That's double the assessment of Japan, the next closest underwriter.

Our 25 percent compares to 12.5 percent for Japan and 8.93 percent paid by the United Kingdom.

The US. is assessed 31.7 percent of the cost of peace-keeping activities, compared to 8.5 percent for Russia, 6.3 percent for the U.K. and 7.6 percent for France.

The U.S. donates logistical support, weapons, NATO flights, intelligence, ships and manpower to U.S. peacekeeping operations while virtually all other countries are reimbursed for such goods and services.

The U.S. is also the largest donor to most of the U.N.'s independent agencies, such as UNICEF and the U.N. High Commissioner on Refugees.
0 Replies