What is the key to keeping characters drawn to scale in a cartoon or comic? Are there any shortcuts?

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:39 am
I am an artist and I know about relative scales and model sheets. What is the key to keeping the proportions consistent? Are there any shortcuts to this? Please help. Thank you.

Sturgis

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:27 am
@JGoldman10,
Shortcuts exist for almost anything, but is that what you really want to do, take the easy way out?

In the meanswhile these people have been waiting patiently to get in your next book.

https://www.prismnet.com/~hmiller/jpg/lemuria.jpg
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:54 pm
@Sturgis,
I was an animation student, they told me there are shortcuts you can take when you create backgrounds for animation.

I am not a furry or an idolator.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 02:15 am
I am waiting to hear from Aldistar.
Aldistar

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 12:42 am
@JGoldman10,
There are grid papers you can use that have pre-ruled lines for for-shortening and perspective. I used to have a link for a website that would let you print them out, but I cannot find it. I will look around, but you should be able to google perspective grids and find something.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 03:42 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Shortcuts exist for almost anything, but is that what you really want to do, take the easy way out?

I think he wants to take as many shortcuts as possible. If this opus is ever realised, it will be the first book produced by a committee.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 11:44 am
@Aldistar,
Hi - thank you. So the grid paper will help you keep the characters and everything in each scene to scale?
Aldistar

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes it helps. There are different grids for birds eye and worms eye perspective. You will still have to gauge the scale, still it helps a lot.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 06:53 pm
@Aldistar,
Well the characters should be a certain scale - relative scales and proportions have to be consistent. How do you know how big big things should be like walls and buildings?

Do the people who make animated cartoons always keep scales and proportions consistent?

If a character is four feet tall, i.e., he has to be four feet tall no matter waht scene he is in.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 06:40 am
@JGoldman10,
I remember as a kid taking the shortcut to get to school. It wasn't always the best way as I learned that day when the snow had melted and turned the dirt to mud and then it had all frozen over again, it was quite rough going and I learned that walking up to the main road and following that route was actually a quicker and neater method. In other words, shortcuts aren't always what they seem to be.
0 Replies