instances =?

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:50 pm

Context:

In a paper scheduled for publication July 15 in Science, the researchers describe how they replaced instances of a codon -- a DNA "word" of three nucleotide letters -- in 32 strains of E. coli, and then coaxed those partially-edited strains along an evolutionary path toward a single cell line in which all 314 instances of the codon had been replaced. That many edits surpasses current methods by two orders of magnitude, said Harris Wang, a research fellow in Church's lab at the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering who shares lead-author credit on the paper with Farren Isaacs, an assistant professor of molecular, cellular and developmental biology at Yale University and former Harvard research fellow, and Peter Carr, a research scientist at the MIT Media Lab.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110714142130.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 804 • Replies: 7
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:18 am
@oristarA,
Instances = occurrences or manifestations

Each appearance of these naturally occuring codons on the DNA strand would be replaced by with a researcher written codon.
oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:32 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Instances = occurrences or manifestations

Each appearance of these naturally occuring codons on the DNA strand would be replaced by with a researcher written codon.

If so, why not use "codons" but "a codon"? The context has "all 314 instances of the codon." If it has been written as "all 314 instances of the codons," it will be understood easily.

Thank you of course.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:57 am
@oristarA,
Good point. This is a difficult passage for a non-geneticist.

Each DNA strand has more then one type of codon. Codon being a consecutive three letter word. The letters to a DNA are A, C, G, and T. The codon they might have replaced might be any combination of CAT in the given DNA strand. Another codon would be ACT, etc....

A codon might mean a defined and designated set of 3 letters AKA a specific codon rather then more then one type of codons.

I think I understand this now. I hope I can get what's in my head across in a clear enough fashion.

Quote:
the researchers describe how they replaced instances of a codon -- a DNA "word" of three nucleotide letters -- in 32 strains of E. coli, and then coaxed those partially-edited strains along an evolutionary path toward a single cell line in which all 314 instances of the codon had been replaced.

The scientists in the beginning of the experiment DID NOT physically replace ALL codons in the strand. **In this case, instances refer to the number of times the scientists could in fact find and replace the natural codon with their designed codon. I'm thinking that it may be too difficult to replace all of the designated codons in the first phase.**

Their goal is to replace all 314 designated codons. I believe they do this via forcing the DNA strand to reproduce itself as described in the following passage:
then coaxed those partially-edited strains** along an evolutionary path

I guess each subsequent generation, the naturally designated codon will disappear and their introduced/designed codon will become more dominant in replacing the codon they want removed.
oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 01:18 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Each DNA strand has more then one type of codon. Codon being a consecutive three letter word. The letters to a DNA are A, C, G, and T. The codon they might have replaced might be any combination of CAT in the given DNA strand. Another codon would be ACT, etc....

A codon might mean a defined and designated set of 3 letters AKA a specific codon rather then more then one type of codons.

I think I understand this now. I hope I can get what's in my head across in a clear enough fashion.

Quote:
the researchers describe how they replaced instances of a codon -- a DNA "word" of three nucleotide letters -- in 32 strains of E. coli, and then coaxed those partially-edited strains along an evolutionary path toward a single cell line in which all 314 instances of the codon had been replaced.

The scientists in the beginning of the experiment DID NOT physically replace ALL codons in the strand. **In this case, instances refer to the number of times the scientists could in fact find and replace the natural codon with their designed codon. I'm thinking that it may be too difficult to replace all of the designated codons in the first phase.**

Their goal is to replace all 314 designated codons. I believe they do this via forcing the DNA strand to reproduce itself as described in the following passage:
then coaxed those partially-edited strains** along an evolutionary path

I guess each subsequent generation, the naturally designated codon will disappear and their introduced/designed codon will become more dominant in replacing the codon they want removed.

You're right because I've read through the article.

Thank you very much.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 02:29 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

In the article, there is the paragraph:

Quote:
Eager to share their enabling technology, the team published their results as CAGE reached the semifinal round. Results suggested that the final four strains were healthy, even as the team assembled four groups of 80 engineered alterations into stretches of the chromosome surpassing 1 million DNA base pairs. "We encountered a great deal of skepticism early on that we could make so many changes and preserve the health of these cells," Carr said. "But that's what we've seen."

Are the "engineered alterations " the designed codons?

Are "four groups of 80 engineered alterations " referred to "four groups, each with 80 engineered alterations"?

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:04 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
The context has "all 314 instances of the codon." If it has been written as "all 314 instances of the codons," it will be understood easily.

It would be misundersood easily! The writing is well done. You are being directed to focus on the fact that they are talking about 314 instances [identical examples] of one particular codon. An instance is a singular thing. The use of the singular emphasises the fact that they are replacing the same thing each time.

"...they replaced instances of a codon [the same codon] -- a [note singular] DNA "word" of three nucleotide letters -- in 32 strains of E. coli, and then coaxed those partially-edited strains along an evolutionary path toward a single cell line in which all 314 instances of the codon [same codon] had been replaced".

It's like replacing every instance of the letter 'a' in "Mary had a little lamb" and getting "Mory hod o little lomb". You replace each 'a' but leave the other letters alone.

oristarA

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:18 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:
The context has "all 314 instances of the codon." If it has been written as "all 314 instances of the codons," it will be understood easily.

It would be misundersood easily! The writing is well done. You are being directed to focus on the fact that they are talking about 314 instances [identical examples] of one particular codon. An instance is a singular thing. The use of the singular emphasises the fact that they are replacing the same thing each time.

"...they replaced instances of a codon [the same codon] -- a [note singular] DNA "word" of three nucleotide letters -- in 32 strains of E. coli, and then coaxed those partially-edited strains along an evolutionary path toward a single cell line in which all 314 instances of the codon [same codon] had been replaced".

It's like replacing every instance of the letter 'a' in "Mary had a little lamb" and getting "Mory hod o little lomb". You replace each 'a' but leave the other letters alone.

Excellent! Thank you.

The another question:

Are "four groups of 80 engineered alterations " referred to "four groups, each with 80 engineered alterations"?

0 Replies