contains numerous life-like red blood cell remains as shown in the
following micrographs:
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Source and credit for above four images:
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-alpha_frame.htm
(sourcing method: Select NWA 5480 article from above URL, then scroll down the right part to bottom, right click the last image, save it and you will find file name NWA-5480-0.25-mm-12.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:55 am
@bewildered,
Jesus b, you are wanting to remain ignorant of an entire optical technique that involves polarized light microscopy. The "Tom Phillips" web site shows these thin sections in clear polarized light and you can see that the extinction angles impart speciifc colors and structures in the photo. Yet you blindly ignore this stuff and just make your idiaotic pronouncements. Hers one of Phillips own PLM slides and anyone can see the mineral structures. Your "blood cells" are probably one of two things
1 chondrules

2 poor glue down of the slide where the balsam glue has acquired some bubbles and these have hardened

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorite-images/Acfer-336-L-3.8-041.jpg
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 11:24 am
So Vesta is a sentient being? She (one assumes) sent us this meteorite? How did she do this? Fed Ex . . . UPS . . . enquiring minds want to know.
0 Replies

bewildered

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:04 am
Added on July 16, 2011: Earthly RBC’s for comparison

The following micrographs show terrestrial red blood cells. They resemble the red blood cell remains found in meteorite NWA 5480.
Fig. 1: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
Source and credit for the above figure:
http://www.visualsunlimited.com/image/I0000TtQPgXVbIOk

Fig. 2: Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
Source and credit for the above figure:
http://www.britannica.com/bps/media-view/94920/1/0/0

0 Replies

bewildered

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:20 pm
@farmerman,
"Your "blood cells" are probably one of two things
1 chondrules
2 poor glue down of the slide where the balsam glue has acquired some bubbles and these have hardened"
1. Chondrules are not concave.
2. Bubbles are not as small as a few microns across. Bubbles do not have the rims of donuts shown in red blood cells. You said you were an expert on thin section production. Loss of credibility.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 04:32 am
@bewildered,
Loss of "credibility by you is actually quite comforting for me".Ive seen hundreds , nay thoussands of bubbles in my over 30 years with thin sections and I have rejected hundreds ofslides for that very reason. (I have my slides made by a service and thats all they do) Whenever bubbles appear, they show the typical "round" birefringence interference colors, of blue and yellow. Many of the "cells" in your slides show this feature, so they are rounded and have an extinction angle similar to the medium.
You will learn , or maybe not. You are wasting so much time by your stupid "Analyses" when you could get a good course in optical min to show you how we look at slides like these. Also the background ,mineral , from a quick view and not doing any confirmation , appears to be a zircon slice. Its own birefringence should be a yellow (munsell no ?) and a bluish purple (munsell no ?).
Id look at them further with the nichols analyzer and the wedge of quartz in the reticle of the scope.

Im curious, why has the presence of "red blood cells" become so important to you? What scientific basis allows you to conclude that these ARE RBC's??

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 04:42 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im curious, why has the presence of "red blood cells" become so important to you?

He's got this goofy religious doctrine which holds, among many other breathtakingly goofy claims, that life originated on Mars billions of years ago. There's dinosaurs and mammals, angels and devils all mixed up in it, too. Since he came up with this wild-ass religious doctine first, he busy as a little beaver "proving" that life existed on Mars in aeons gone by.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 04:56 am
@Setanta,
I got that, I just like him to periodically reveal to us his scientific "foundation".Its a hoot.
This dudes got books out on the web. If Eric von Danniken could make bazillions on his claims (?) , Im sure bewildered has got a business plan on his mind.

Im benefittin him with doubts , otherwise he is, alas, a bedbug.
Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:01 am
@farmerman,
I don't know that he'll be able to profit from this. He hasn't got the phony rhetoical question down pat the way van Daniken did. You've got to keep short, simple and gripping. Which is the other thing he lacks--dramatic appeal.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:05 am
@Setanta,
maybe we could work on that .
But hes gotta explain why his meteorites only inclusde blood cells and not anything else of a more corporeal nature, no?

I can see some poor martian megafauna getting smooshed by incoming but surely we have some hair or bone or eyeballs.

Why just a bag of blood circling the solar system?

PS cute doggie pic. SUrely she cant be from your side of the family

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:06 am
Oh yeah, the narrative definitely needs work . . .
0 Replies