"Step away from the candy and come with me, kid"

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
All livestock may be chattel, but not all chattel are livestock. I've provided you the example of women and children as chattel, whether or not you want to acknowledge it. Shouting and indulging hysterics won't do anything to support your feeble argument.

I don't care what you believe. In fact, in the 18th century, the Dutch were the biggests slave traders, with the New England merchants a close second behind them. Your ignorance does not serve as a refutation of what i write.

Quote:
That does not alter the fact that thay were deemed livestock, bought, sold and rented as such. That was the sense of the situation, the spirit of the times. I thought everyone knew that.

Everyone doesn't know it because it's not true. You continue to ignore the issue of blacks in states without an institution of slavery. Do you allege that they were "livestock" as well?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:19 am
Quote:
Colonial American women's rights were restricted by the patriarchal view of English Common Law. As in England, women were viewed as chattel and had no individual legal rights.

Source

Quote:
The most interesting and disturbing aspect of chattel law is the notion of women as chattel that has woven itself into legal codes throughout history. In various times, places and cultures such as Merry Old England, the Hebrew Bible, The Code of Hammurabi and the Middle East, a bride price was/is an amount of money or property paid by the groom to the parents of his bride, she thus becoming his possession like a horse, a wagon or household utensils. Its origins were before recorded history and it established the wife as property, or, chattel. That practice established the world-wide dominion over women by men. Most European noblewomen were joined to their husbands in chattel marriages. In the patriarchal society of Old New York, women were treated as chattel and only valued as objects. For many men a wife still remains his chattel, in theory.

Historically, under common law, damages could be awarded to a husband on the loss of his wife due to the actions of another because his wife was considered chattel. In certain Middle Eastern societies, women (and women in some Orthodox Jewish cultures) are still considered chattel having no legal existence outside their husbands, fathers, sons and brothers. A husband owns his wife and any children of the marriage. In some areas, that chattel status is modified to only include sexual and reproductive rights that are owned by husbands.

Source

For someone who claims to a lawyer, you are breathtakingly ignorant.

Quote:
Most American treated married women according to the concept of coverture, a concept inherited from English common law. Under the doctrine of coverture, a woman was legally considered the chattel of her husband, his possession. Any property she might hold before her marriage became her husband's on her wedding day, and she had no legal right to appear in court, to sign contracts or to do business. Although these formal provisions of the law were sometimes ignored—the wives of tradesmen, for example, might assist in runing the family business—married women technically had almost no legal identity.

Source
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:59 am
I've not read all of the thread and apologise if this has already been mentioned, but the sweet tooth in America is stronger than over here. I hope I don't sound smug, because obesity is beginning to be quite a problem over here as well.

Manufacturers of processed food tend to sell more if they include salt and sugar, this affects our relationship with unprocessed food. In the same way that a strawberry, that ordinarily tastes sweet, tastes sour after eating a bar of chocolate, unprocessed food seems less tasty after a diet of processed food.

Jamie Oliver recently did some food programmes in the Deep South, broadcast over here. He made a barbecue sauce that tasted just right to him, but his American friends felt it wasn't sweet enough. I recently made a buttermilk pie from a texan cookbook. I put in half as much sugar as the recipe suggested, but I still found it too sweet. I then used a quarter as much, and it was about right.

Kelloggs cornflakes are sweeter in America than in the UK. I like them over here, but not when in America. I think that the overall levels of sugar in ordinary non- dessert foods is more of a problem than kids eating too many sweets.
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:04 am
@Setanta,
In 2001 the state of New Mexico did place a 3-year old girl in state custody on grounds of morbid obesity, but a judge later returned her to the parents:
Quote:
...Anamarie ... weighed 67 pounds at 16 months, 97 pounds at 28 months, and 130 pounds by July of 2000, when she was ... three years old.....What Anamarie’s mother didn’t know was that the state’s Child, Youth and Families Department was already preparing an affidavit that would accuse her and her husband, Miguel Regino, of endangering their child’s life by making her fat.

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/2347/
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:04 am
@Setanta,
David wrote:
Too many folks (liberals) believe that the answer to every problem
is put another iron chain on the citizens; curtail their liberty
n choke their freedom, that the ideal State will be achieved when thay can 't move at all.

Setanta wrote:
This is precisely what i mean about hysterical [??] ideological cant.
Since u show such obsessive interest in my state of mind:
Know Ye that I am near GLEEFUL, over some personal matters and some financial matters
that have turned out significantly better than I thawt thay woud. Yes, thay DID!
I am ELEVATED in financial rapture! not "hysterical"

MULTIPLE be the jollies!

Setanta wrote:
By the way, bright boy, if people of African descent were considered livestock, if that was the sense of the late 18th century as you hilariously allege, how do you account for people of African descent who lived in states which had no institution of slavery,
If thay were free,
then thay were not STOCK at all; stock means property; inventory.

Setanta wrote:
which would later be called free states? How can one be livestock if one happens to be held in bondage, but be human if one is not?
As I said, if thay were NOT property,
then thay were not stock at all.
The degree to which African slaves were human,
received little attention from their owners, so far as I understand.
I do not claim to be an expert on slavery; I have not made a study
of it in minute detail.
Free Africans simply were left to their own devices in the laissez faire
economy of the times.
Its possible that their experience might have varied
among the different jurisdictions; I dunno.
Everyone thought of them as he chose to think of them.

Setanta wrote:
Leaving aside the drivel quoted above, this is one of the best examples of your willingness to distort reality in aid of your hysterical ideological cant. You're making up this story about Africans being considered livestock in the attempt to deny that the institution of slavery in the constitution is evidence that the founders were not the wild eyed libertarians you allege them to have been.
My sense of the times is that in the minds
of the Founders, the blacks did not count for much, on a racial basis.
I believe that thay were deemed to be inferior. Is that in dispute??
The Founders woud not have considered going to a white European country
and scooping up some of its citizens for sale at auction here.

David
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Then you agree with Paul Campos (author of article just linked), professor of law at the University of Colorado, that "the lock-up diet" for children is illegal?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I've not read all of the thread and apologise if this has already been mentioned, but the sweet tooth in America is stronger than over here. I hope I don't sound smug, because obesity is beginning to be quite a problem over here as well.
WHERE r u ??
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:13 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Then you agree with Paul Campos (author of article just linked), professor of law at the University of Colorado, that "the lock-up diet" for children is illegal?
Everyone has a right to eat whatever he wants, if he owns it.

I don 't know that diet.
I did not see the link yet.

David
izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I do mention in my post that I'm from the UK
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Prof. Campos is using the phrase as a joke - in re state-imposed diet and exercise for children removed from parental custody because of morbid obesity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:17 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have no interest in your state of mind, obsessive or otherwise. I can see that you are hysterical by your use of caps, bold face and colors, and the wild, invidious accusations against those who don't hold your troglodytic poltical views.

Your ignorance of history has been demonstrated to be so profound, that i see no point in discussing this with you. You don't know what you're talking about, you made a wild claim which Thomas shot down in one try, and now you'll say anything to attempt to defend your witless thesis.

Bye.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:41 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I have no interest in your state of mind, obsessive or otherwise.
U never tire of alleging "hysteria".

Setanta wrote:
I can see that you are hysterical by your use of caps, bold face and colors,
Thay r aids to elucidation of EXPRESSION of thawt, unrelated to any hysteria.
Your allegations r out of touch with reality.

Setanta wrote:
and the wild, invidious accusations against those who don't hold your troglodytic poltical views.
1. Truth is timeless.

2. History speaks for itself.

Setanta wrote:
Your ignorance of history has been demonstrated to be so profound, that i see no point in discussing this with you. You don't know what you're talking about, you made a wild claim which Thomas shot down in one try, and now you'll say anything to attempt to defend your witless thesis.

Bye.
I observe that u r prejudiced by the distortions
of your own left twisted ideology; so be it: harmless drivel.

David
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Whatever the historical background, it's clear slavery is illegal now - so would you and the other legal eagle(s) here please focus on the original Q? Thanks Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thay did not favor liberty for livestock, but rather for citizens.

By this logic, you can declare the Nazis to be libertarians using your neat little bit of linguistic trickery. They, too, were champions of liberty---but for the Aryan master race, not for the Jewish world conspiracy against it. Your logic is flawed.

There. I mentioned the Nazis. Can we end the Founding-Fathers subthread now?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:40 am
@Thomas,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thay did not favor liberty for livestock, but rather for citizens.
Thomas wrote:

By this logic, you can declare the Nazis to be libertarians
That is false. Thay 'd reject that characterization.
Hermann Goering openly spoke of the dictatorship.
Hitler 's slogan was:
" Authority from the top down;
obedience from the bottom up."
That applied to the Germans.
He was passionately anti-Individualist and he said so.
Your statement is historically false, Thomas.

Thomas wrote:
using your neat little bit of linguistic trickery.
They, too, were champions of liberty---but for the Aryan master race,
That is factually incorrect; WHICH liberty do u have in mind, Thomas??
Freedom of speech for Aryans?
Freedom of the press for Aryans?
Freedom of religion for Aryans?
Freedom from cruel & unusual punishments for Aryans? WHAT?????
I deny your allegations.

Thomas wrote:
not for the Jewish world conspiracy against it. Your logic is flawed.

There. I mentioned the Nazis. Can we end the Founding-Fathers subthread now?
Well, I 'd like u to answer my questions first.

David
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That may or may not be the case, David, but the Nazis never tried to place Goering (a morbidly obese man, as you know) in a government-run diet and exercise program - now did they?! That is the basic question here - and I'm sure Thomas only mentioned Nazis to bring this unrelated digression to an end Smile
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:51 am
@izzythepush,
I have a friend whose grandchildren are Brits, when they visited a couple summers ago guess what they wanted to do ; they wanted to go to Mcdonalds and watch the fat people.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:56 am
@High Seas,
That was an eye-opening article, High Seas. Thanks for the link.

This....

Quote:
They and Ana live under this remarkably repressive regimen not because there is any medical evidence that it will protect their daughter’s health, but simply because it gives the authorities a false but comforting sense that they are ‘doing something’ about what is, for them, a profoundly disturbing sight - the sight of an unusually large child.

.... is downright scary.
High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 08:02 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

That was an eye-opening article, High Seas. Thanks for the link.

This....

Quote:
They and Ana live under this remarkably repressive regimen not because there is any medical evidence that it will protect their daughter’s health, but simply because it gives the authorities a false but comforting sense that they are ‘doing something’ about what is, for them, a profoundly disturbing sight - the sight of an unusually large child.

.... is downright scary.

Yes, it is scary - but can you really blame Arizona for wanting to place a 3-year old weighing 130 pounds in protective custody?! No easy answers here Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 08:29 am
@Thomas,
You would know this, but for those who don't: Goering died at home of a heart attack in 1942. The coroner's report stated that the body weighed at or over 800 pounds (the dial of the scale used for the purpose stopped at 800 pounds), and, since no coffin could be obtained for such a bulk, he had to be cremated.

I don't know how many such persons we now have in the US - or whether the state has a right to step in and use the "lockup diet" as per Prof. Campos....
0 Replies