Want to learn japanese, but in the middle of nowhere...

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 04:15 pm
Hello! Does anyone know anywhere that I could go to that is within walking distance of orangeville Ontario to learn japanese?

I have been trying to learn from various internet resourses, And have only learned about 5 words...

I want to learn because I want to be able to read some of the manga that has not been translated yet...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:26 pm
Lapsus, You do know that the Japanese written languages consists of over 3,000 kangi, 26 katakana, and 26 hirogana words and letters don't you? I don't know what you have available in language schools in Ontario, but I wish you luck. You've got a long ways to go. 5 words? You haven't even begun to start, but don't forget that there are different dialects of Japanese.
0 Replies

Rounin

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:47 pm
Actually, Japanese is much easier than either English or French, the downside, of course, being all the kanji and the new grammatical concepts.

As with all languages, learning it does take a lot of intensive study, and the ideal place to learn it would be in a university or similar.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to try Google.
0 Replies

LapsusAntepedis

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
I know...
cicerone imposter wrote:
Lapsus, You do know that the Japanese written languages consists of over 3,000 kangi, 26 katakana, and 26 hirogana words and letters don't you? I don't know what you have available in language schools in Ontario, but I wish you luck. You've got a long ways to go. 5 words? You haven't even begun to start, but don't forget that there are different dialects of Japanese.

I know that written Japanese is very complicated, and that 5 words is not much, (Hey, I gotta start somewhere! :wink: )

If I start now (15 years old,) I might[/u] have a good chance of actually being able to speak, read, and write it!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:52 pm
If you don't have any Japanese schools around you I'd recommend buying a good instructional book or software package, such as the ones offered by Berlitz. I don't have much experience with those kinds of products though.

Here's the best Japanese-English Dictionary website: WWWJDIC Japanese-English Dictionary Server
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:56 pm
Lapsus, I'm really not trying to discourage you; just be prepared for the reality. Trying to learn a language in your immediate locale may be a bit difficult. As Rounin says, probably the best place is at university, but many places in California has language schools that teaches different languages including Japanese. The best way to learn any language is te be completely emersed in it - like living in the country. Are you aware that many countries have student exchange programs? You might want to look into it. Best of luck to you. c.i.
0 Replies

Hel

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 02:21 pm
Learning a language which is half a globe away from your own is the best thing you can do on earth!
I'm learning Japanese, too (my mother tongue is German). I have nearly NONE oral conversation (my conversation partner is now back in Japan Sad but he will come again), but I continue.

Search for e-mail partners who wanna improve their English (or whatever your mother tongue might be). If you find someone who shares your interests and writes you continuously, you can learn a lot.
There is a penpal forum at www.japan-guide.com but I'm sure there are more out there (if you find one, please tell me!!).

Ganbatte!^^ (Try your best -> Good luck)

Helen
0 Replies

D1Doris

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:49 am
take away the comma and the link works :wink:
0 Replies