How do you define a Neutral accent?

Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm disappointed you're not trying to argue, because I was getting read to insult you for saying "ruff" instead of "roof".
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:13 pm
@Thomas,
I do NOT say "ruff"!
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:21 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I do NOT say "ruff"!

Oh yes you do, miss. Sally Dog barks the word "roof" more nearly in standard American than you say it!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@Thomas,
Do not!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 11:25 pm
I make no claims to having a neutral accent. I agree with those who say that a neutral American accent is one from the midwest. I guess if you're from the midwest, you sound like a newscaster.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:58 pm
A Californian news anchor.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:20 pm
A graduate of Indiana University or University of Illinois school of (TV) Journalism.

Rap
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:32 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
I make no claims to having a neutral accent. I agree with those who say that a neutral American accent is one from the midwest. I guess if you're from the midwest, you sound like a newscaster.

When you listen to the news on RTE (the Irish public television system), the announcers sound like Canadians or Americans from the Midwest. There is an accent in Dublin, in the Ballsbridge neighborhood, which sounds very much like a bland American or Canadian accent.
hemingway

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:07 pm
@Setanta,
RTE news casters do not sound like they are from the midwest. they are from ireland(full stop).

you cant define have a neutral accent, its impossible. you cant have a neutral from a specific or orientated person. you can only have one that is more or less, and i think that more neutral would be 'the queens english' as some may have heard it called. neutral english could be writing, as a sound cant encompass all aspects of every accent into one which by definition be a neutral accent.

agreed with first post, silly question
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 09:34 pm
@hemingway,
Yeah, well, you think your way, and i'll think mine. RTE news readers sounded just like Midwesterners or Canadians to me, and i've heard all three.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 05:23 pm
If you think a neutral accents is a Midwestern accent, you haven't spoken with many Midwesterners.

Midwestern news anchors, have a neutral accent but then so do all news anchors.

The original non-distinct accent was developed by Californian news anchors.
0 Replies