djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 10:27 am
comedian rich vos was on opie and anthony yesterday, and he thought that casey anthony should get her own reality show, put her in a house full of kids and the last one left alive wins

i thought this was hilarious, in my head i even went further, make the kids reality show kids, season one could be octomom's spawn, the next year could be kate less jon's kids, if it went to a third they could go for a marathon series with the half million kids those dugay folks seem to have

so how soon is too soon for jokes about tragedies (not soon enough in my opinion), how dark can humour get before it's wrong (can't get dark enough i say)

thoughts and feelings folks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,622 • Replies: 5
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:00 am
@djjd62,
Not soon enough but to be fair I really really hadn't been paying attention to this particular tabloid story.

I think 2 minutes and 11 seconds after any crime or tragedy is fine for joke creation purposes. Idea
djjd62

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:05 am
@tsarstepan,
i first started thinking about this after the fox twitter hack about the president being shot (i thought it was funny, i must admit) and the coming 10th anniversary of 9/11

are there things or events that are untouchable?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 11:31 am
@djjd62,
I remember watching the doc on Joan Rivers, Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work. She had one particular heckler who got irrationally out of whack when Rivers made a few disabled jokes.

Here is the transcript of Joan Rivers being interviewed by 60 minutes. The inner quote is the transcript from the documentary of the footage of the incident:
Quote:
JOAN RIVERS DOING STAND-UP: I hate children. The only child I think I would have liked ever was Helen Keller, she didn't talk.
HECKLER: That wasn't funny.

JOAN RIVERS DOING STAND-UP: Yes, it is. If you don't, than leave.

HECKLER
: It isn't funny if you have a deaf son.

JOAN RIVERS DOING STAND-UP: I happen to have a deaf mother. Oh, you stupid arse, let me tell you what comedy is about.
HECKLER: Go ahead and tell me.

JOAN RIVERS DOING STAND-UP: You are so stupid. Comedy is to make everybody laugh at everything and deal with things, you idiot.

[60 Minutes interview]
LIZ HAYES: Do you think there's anything that we should not laugh at?

JOAN RIVERS: No.

LIZ HAYES: There's no taboo?

JOAN RIVERS: No, I think life is so tough - no, no, no, no, you must laugh at everything.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8106489
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:18 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
so how soon is too soon for jokes about tragedies (not soon enough in my opinion), how dark can humour get before it's wrong (can't get dark enough i say)

I tend not to apply concepts like "morals" and "values" to public personalities. I have zero expectations for them with respect to responsibility. Though I do not include politicians in this group (I know you have a very different take on them, dj).

And I just can't sympathize with those outraged by comedians, of all people. I take issue only with bad comedy. And there are so many shitty comedians out there. The worst of them often rely on "shock" tactics, which depend entirely on that base of puritans prevalent particularly in the US. There's nothing daring and certainly not implicitly funny about that.

If the joke is funny, no subject is off limits. But if the comedian leans too hard on the fact that his subject is controversial, rather than saying something original about it (I guess I would have to hear Rich tell the joke, sorry--though I worship other comedians on that show, like Louis CK and Patrice O' Neal) I get super annoyed. But that's the extent of my emotional response.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 11:00 am
I would say that a joke about something tragic or taboo needs to be extremely funny. If it is not extremely funny, comedians should expect that people will get offended and turn against them.
0 Replies