Blake Ashby (R) for President?

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:03 pm
Well, so much for courage and convictions. Neutral
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:19 pm
Why can't electability be part of one's convictions?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:38 pm
It can be, but it's an ephemeral quality.

As Dennis Kucinich has said, "I'm electable if you will vote for me."
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:37 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Scrat wrote:
Centroles wrote:
I will NOT vote for another four years under Bush's bloated budgets.

Lucky for you, you're going to get four more years under Bush, whether you vote for him or do not.

an excellent choice of words, since he'll be f**king us the whole time and doesn't have enough imagination for anything but the missionary position. Razz

FWIW, I can think of a number of positions other than missionary where the receiving party is on the bottom. It isn't that Bush lacks imagination, but that he likes to drive. Laughing

BTW, folks, just to show you that A2K-life is not real-life, I must tell you that not only have BPB and I spoken on the phone a few times, we have done so quite cordially and at length, and even discussed politics briefly without screaming at each other. (In fact, I distinctly recall each of us using the phrase "I agree with you" at least once during the conversation.)

So keep it light and have fun. The snippets of text you love to hate here are real people and probably a bit more complex than the sum of their opinions expressed here might lead one to surmise. Cool
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:40 am
PDiddie wrote:
My preference is well-established...
Anybody But Bush.

That's my conviction.

And mine is:

Anybody But a Democrat.

Or, perhaps it is more accurate to write that I will vote for Bush to block a Democrat from taking the White House.

(Of course, of far more import is working to ensure that my representatives and Senators are conservatives or libertarians.)
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:42 am
PDiddie wrote:
Well, so much for courage and convictions. Neutral

PD - When you wrote "Anybody but Bush" I assumed you meant "Any Democrat". Are you actually stating that you would vote for a third-party candidate rather than the Dem candidate if the third party candidate's platform best met your ideals?

Or is "electability" also a conviction for you?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:00 pm
Well, I guess I have to go on record too.

I intend to vote for:

Sen. Not George Bush of Anywhere

Former Gov. Not George Bush of Anywhere

Former Congressman Not George Bush

Ret. Gen. Not George Bush

Mr. or Mrs. or Ms. Not George Bush

Or anyone else who is NOT GEORGE BUSH.

(Jeez, I hope I don't get that "You are too subtle and oblique for my tastes, Apisa" charge thrown at me again! I really tried to be out-front.)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:28 pm
Scrat wrote:
Are you actually stating that you would vote for a third-party candidate rather than the Dem candidate if the third party candidate's platform best met your ideals?

Yes, I would. I voted for Nader in the last election.

If you had ever read anything of what I post here you wouldn't have to ask that question.

Just to clear this up, I feel pretty confident that I'll be voting Democrat, as I'm convinced that this devolution -- this mutation -- of the current Republican Party threatens virtually everything I hold dear and that the Democrats represent the best opportunity to flush these turds out of power.

Any other questions? :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 02:10 pm
Scrat wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Scrat wrote:
Centroles wrote:
I will NOT vote for another four years under Bush's bloated budgets.

Lucky for you, you're going to get four more years under Bush, whether you vote for him or do not.

an excellent choice of words, since he'll be f**king us the whole time and doesn't have enough imagination for anything but the missionary position. Razz

FWIW, I can think of a number of positions other than missionary where the receiving party is on the bottom. It isn't that Bush lacks imagination, but that he likes to drive. Laughing

BTW, folks, just to show you that A2K-life is not real-life, I must tell you that not only have BPB and I spoken on the phone a few times, we have done so quite cordially and at length, and even discussed politics briefly without screaming at each other. (In fact, I distinctly recall each of us using the phrase "I agree with you" at least once during the conversation.)

So keep it light and have fun. The snippets of text you love to hate here are real people and probably a bit more complex than the sum of their opinions expressed here might lead one to surmise. Cool

Quite so scrat, we can disagree quite violently on politics but real life is a different story. We gotta get along. I will say however there are some people I have met on forums most notably the one a lot of us came from, that I wouldn't piss on to put out if they were on fire, based purely on my cyber knowledge of them.

I'm sure there are those who feel the same about me, although I can't imagine who wouldn't love a care bear like me. :wink:
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 02:54 pm
PDiddie wrote:
If you had ever read anything of what I post here you wouldn't have to ask that question.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I actually skip over most of what you write, and certainly am not the student of all things PDiddie that you clearly think I should be.

PDiddie wrote:
Just to clear this up, I feel pretty confident that I'll be voting Democrat, as I'm convinced that this devolution -- this mutation -- of the current Republican Party threatens virtually everything I hold dear and that the Democrats represent the best opportunity to flush these turds out of power.

This seems to put the lie to your statement above, and despite your protestation makes my question seem quite reasonable in that you are now indicating that electability IS an issue for you. A bit hypocritical of you to poo-poo others for the fact that it factors into how they use their vote. You accused me of lacking the courage of my convictions, and now reveal that you will likely use your vote exactly as will I: not necessarily for the candidate that most closely matches your ideals, but on the most electable candidate who matches some of your ideals.

I suspected as much, but am grateful for the confirmation.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:02 pm
Scrat wrote:
in response to what I wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I actually skip over most of what you write, and certainly am not the student of all things PDiddie that you clearly think I should be.

I knew that, which is why I said I was crushed in one of my previous posts. :wink:

then Scrat wrote:
in response to what I next wrote:

This seems to put the lie to your statement above, and despite your protestation makes my question seem quite reasonable in that you are now indicating that electability IS an issue for you. A bit hypocritical of you to poo-poo others for the fact that it factors into how they use their vote. You accused me of lacking the courage of my convictions, and now reveal that you will likely use your vote exactly as will I: not necessarily for the candidate that most closely matches your ideals, but on the most electable candidate who matches some of your ideals.

I suspected as much, but am grateful for the confirmation.

You callin' me a liar? Shocked

Then I'm callin' you a big liar. Evil or Very Mad

Hey, you started it... :wink:
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:10 pm
PD - Not calling you a liar at all... I just suspected that you are--as I am--part idealist and part pragmatist, and that you are--as I am--sometimes prone to measuring the behavior of others against your ideals, and forgetting that they too may be pragmatists. Cool
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:11 pm
That was a very interesting way to say that.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:12 pm
Well, I'm still callin' you a big liar... :wink: Cool
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:16 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Well, I'm still callin' you a big liar... :wink: Cool

Yeah, well when I lose a few pounds, I expect you to reword that! Confused
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
[ I will say however there are some people I have met on forums most notably the one a lot of us came from, that I wouldn't piss on to put out if they were on fire, based purely on my cyber knowledge of them.

Well I hope I'm not one of them.

Uhhhh...on second thought....ahhhh, never mind.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:41 pm
A funny thing... I just realized that I now "hear" BPB's voice in my head when I read anything he's typed here.

(If I start hearing it at other times, I'm heading straight to the doctor!) Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
Scrat wrote:

Yes, that's true.

For example, judging purely on the basis of my posts here, some of you (I like to think) might actually think I'm a reasonable enough guy, who at least tries to pose his opinions with a degree of civility and kind-heartedness. <ahem>.

But - in reality ... Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
That was a very interesting way to say that.

LOL!
0 Replies