Blake Ashby (R) for President?

Scrat

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:00 pm
http://www.ashby2004.com/images/header.jpg

"Why I am Running"

My name is Blake Ashby, and I am running for president. Why? Because it is time for moderate
republicans to stand up for the traditional GOP values of individual freedom, limited government and
fiscal restraint.

I am committed to free markets and free trade -- and firmly opposed to unfunded mandates and
bloated budgets.

"Individual freedom,

limited government and

fiscal restraint"

These used to be the core values of our party -- and the well spring of economic growth. We saw this
not just as good fiscal policy but as a moral obligation, an act of stewardship. This ensured the
excesses of one generation would not be visited on the next. Yet this administration has abandoned
these economic values for short-term political gain.

I am running because the extreme social conservatives are taking over this party-and it is time for
freedom-loving moderates to take it back.

The Republican Party was born into the cause of individual liberty, and with my commitment to
economic freedom, constitutional rights and limited government, I am prepared to challenge this
administration's intrusive, heavy-handed approach to the challenges facing our great nation.

Link -> http://www.ashby2004.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:17 pm
Good luck, Scrat.

I very, very seldom vote for Republican candidates -- I honestly think they make a better loyal opposition than lead-party -- but I certainly would like to see them position themselves more along the lines of your vision than where they are -- and where they seem headed.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:46 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Good luck, Scrat.

I very, very seldom vote for Republican candidates -- I honestly think they make a better loyal opposition than lead-party -- but I certainly would like to see them position themselves more along the lines of your vision than where they are -- and where they seem headed.

Frank - In 2004 I will vote for GWB again, as being a better alternative to anything the Dems are offering, and more electable than anyone who better fits my ideology. I am heartened that there are people like Ashby at least giving lip service to the ideals Republicans like Bush seem all too willing to set aside in their quest for power.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:50 pm
I too wish for the return of Republican fiscal conservatives over the social conservatives. Either way the militarism will probably still be there to preclude my vote but at least the social retardation would be exchanged for fiscal sanity.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
I do like some of the less extreme republicans marching under the libertarian flag (Ron Paul comes to mind)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:09 pm
Ooops, I thought Blake Ashby might be you, Scrat.

Actually, I ran for President one time as the standard bearer of the Iconoclastic Party of America.

The party honored me with its nomination - which was, by the way, a unanimous nomination -- in a national convention held in my den. It was unanimous because Nancy didn't attend -- and naturally I voted for myself.

It was fun - and I did manage to get a bit of national attention because of a very intense letter-to-the-editor writing campaign that I waged.

One national columnist (former US Rep. Otis Pike) devoted a column to my candidacy; several college newspapers around the country did profiles on me as a "fringe" candidate; and a couple of local radio stations gave me air time.

I eventually conceded before the election -- and endorsed (threw my considerable support) to former Governor Not George Bush of Arkansas, who eventually won the election.

I like to think I was at least partially responsible for that.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:14 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:26 pm
Bill T Cat and Opus P Penguin for President! Support the Meadow Party!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 07:37 pm
I am running as the "Inhaled and Drank The Bong Water" party representative.

My campaign slogan..

Yeah? Or what?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 01:47 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I do like some of the less extreme republicans marching under the libertarian flag (Ron Paul comes to mind)

I like Ron Paul very much! He seems to see eye-to-eye with me on Constitutional questions, and authored the "Enumerated Powers Act", which for my money is a brilliant little piece of legislation that sadly has absolutely no chance of ever seeing the light of day.
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 01:53 pm
Frank - No, I'm not Ashby. Judging from that photo he's got far too much charisma to be me. :wink:

I suppose if I were going to run as the candidate of a party named to best match my ideals (BPB having set the standard here) I'd be the nominee of the "It's The Constitution, Stupid" party.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 03:15 pm
Well, Scrat, when I first decided to make my run, my friends suggested I revive the Know Nothing party for the attempt.

I think they were trying to tell me something.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:10 pm
Scrat wrote:
In 2004 I will vote for GWB again, as being a better alternative to anything the Dems are offering, and more electable than anyone who better fits my ideology. I am heartened that there are people like Ashby at least giving lip service to the ideals Republicans like Bush seem all too willing to set aside in their quest for power.

Well, it's simply a shame that you do not have the courage to vote your convictions.

Some Republicans are finding an electable alternative:

Quote:
My name is Robert Brooks. I voted in my first election in 1980 and proudly cast my vote for Ronald Reagan. I am not sure what has happened to the party in the two decades since that time but I do know it has managed to leave me behind. I don't have much use for unnecessary wars, corporate giveaways and laws which seem to gut the Bill of Rights. I believe in due process, the right to counsel, the right to trial and warrants that are only issued upon probable cause. I also believe that fiscal responsibility means that you pay your bills and don't pass the burden of paying for gifts you bestow upon yourself to others. I honestly believe that Ronald Reagan would look at the extreme right and the empire building neocons of PNAC with a great deal of dismay. I also feel sure that President Reagan would not have restricted medical research into stem cells and his record of not actively interfering with abortion rights, all rhetoric to the contrary not withstanding, speaks for itself.

I had my doubts about the Iraq War from the very beginning. I was never convinced that Saddam Hussein was a threat to the security of the United States and I also knew, no thanks to Fox News, that he was not tied to the attacks of 9-11.

Originally I bought the spin on Howard Dean as some sort of lefty-left pacifist liberal. Then I decided to check for myself. Howard Dean is a lot of things but a flaming liberal he is not. I like balanced budgets and a tight fiscal hand. Dean is nothing if not tight. Have you seen his suits?

I also found that Dean is not a pacifist. I could never support a pacifist even if I do believe in Christ's instructions to turn the other cheek. Dean supported the war in Afghanistan and the first Gulf War. He just didn't support the Iraq War because it took resources away from the hunt for the real bad guys.

My conclusion after looking into Dr. Dean is that he is actually what used to pass for a moderate Republican. I like moderate Republicans. I thought George Bush was one. I was a fool. I won't be fooled again.

I have a feeling that our ranks may be growing. I'm attaching a column below that was forwarded to me from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. (The internet is a God send. I live in Alabama and never would have seen this commentary without it.) It was also written by a Republican. Interesting read. I wonder if the author has bothered to actually check into Dr. Dean's record.

Regards,

Robert Brooks

Column URL: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:32 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Scrat wrote:
In 2004 I will vote for GWB again, as being a better alternative to anything the Dems are offering, and more electable than anyone who better fits my ideology. I am heartened that there are people like Ashby at least giving lip service to the ideals Republicans like Bush seem all too willing to set aside in their quest for power.

Well, it's simply a shame that you do not have the courage to vote your convictions.

You seem to be a Dean man. (Am I right?) If Dean doesn't get the party's nod, will you write in a vote for him or vote for the party's candidate? My bet is that you will vote for whomever the Dems put forward, or at least if that's not true of you, it's true of most Dems. Well, that's all I'm saying here. At first blush (I haven't looked long and hard at Ashby) I would prefer someone like Ashby as the Republican candidate, but will vote for Bush because he will be the Republican candidate.

But hey, it's your standard, so tell me; will you have the courage to vote your convictions if your party chooses someone other than your first choice? Or will you vote for the candidate they choose?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:06 am
Most people including I am sure pdiddle will vote for whichever candidate most closely matches their convictions that actually has a shot of winning.

This is why I would vote for whichever fiscally conservative Democrat gets the nomination, or if they fail to offer up a fiscal conservative, will not vote altogether. But I will NOT vote for another four years under Bush's bloated budgets.

The question is, will you vote for your convictions?

If dean gets the nomination, will you vote for him?
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:48 am
Centroles wrote:
I will NOT vote for another four years under Bush's bloated budgets.

Lucky for you, you're going to get four more years under Bush, whether you vote for him or do not.

You can thank me later. Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:04 am
Scrat wrote:
Centroles wrote:

Lucky for you, you're going to get four more years under Bush, whether you vote for him or do not.

an excellent choice of words, since he'll be f**king us the whole time and doesn't have enough imagination for anything but the missionary position. Razz
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:20 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Scrat wrote:
Centroles wrote:

an excellent choice of words, since he'll be f**king us the whole time and doesn't have enough imagination for anything but the missionary position. Razz

Damn, I wish I had thought of that response!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:53 am
Scrat wrote:
You seem to be a Dean man. (Am I right?) If Dean doesn't get the party's nod, will you write in a vote for him or vote for the party's candidate? My bet is that you will vote for whomever the Dems put forward, or at least if that's not true of you, it's true of most Dems. Well, that's all I'm saying here. At first blush (I haven't looked long and hard at Ashby) I would prefer someone like Ashby as the Republican candidate, but will vote for Bush because he will be the Republican candidate.

But hey, it's your standard, so tell me; will you have the courage to vote your convictions if your party chooses someone other than your first choice? Or will you vote for the candidate they choose?

I'm surprised you have to ask this question.

My preference is well-established on probably two dozen threads in this forum. (I thought you had been reading my posts all this time; I'm crushed. Crying or Very sad :wink: )

Let's shout it from the hilltops, so loud everyone can hear:

Anybody But Bush.

That's my conviction.

Ask me again how hard I think it will be for me to vote it... Cool
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:06 pm
A "Third Party" vote serves for nothing, beyond personal gratification, and amounts to assisting the victory of a candidate one actively opposes. The best a Third Party Candidate has done, as I recall, is Teddy Roosevelt's splitting the Republican vote and ensuring a Democratic victory a century ago. Nader and Perot, while less successful in their bids than Roosevelt's, did pretty much the same thing in their respective elections; those who cast votes for them in preferrence to the major party candidate of whichever wing to which the protest voter otherwise was more closely aligned merely increased the opposing party's margin of victory.
0 Replies