Can I make good money as an animation historian?

Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:21 pm
I notice I ask a lot of questions related to cartoons and comics - I wanted to know out of curiously can I make a good living as an animation historian? I was an animation major - I was thinking I could write a series of books on cartoon history. Please help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,398 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

Reyn

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
In my opinion, it would be very much of a niche market that you would be appealing to.
JGoldman10

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 03:23 pm
@Reyn,
Niche, meaning what? Esoteric?
Reyn

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 03:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
A niche market is a focused, targetable portion of a market.

By definition, then, a business that focuses on a niche market is addressing a need for a product or service that is not being addressed by mainstream providers. You can think of a niche market as a narrowly defined group of potential customers.

For instance, instead of offering cleaning services, a business might establish a niche market by specializing in blind cleaning services.

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/cs/marketing/g/nichemarket.htm

To my way of thinking, animation history would fit the definition of a niche market.

How big is such a market? You would really need to do some deep research before even thinking of starting to write a book on such a topic, I would presume. Who knows, it may be a big success.

Here is a page on animation history that you might find interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation_history

Another question to ask yourself is, how do you go about finding a publisher that would publish such a book, by an unknown, unproven author?

You may have written a fantastic book, but if you can't find anyone to publish it, it will collect dust.
JGoldman10

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 08:51 pm
@Reyn,
NICHE = ESOTERIC.

My book(s) would appeal to an esoteric lot.
0 Replies

Reyn

Fri 1 Jul, 2011 08:59 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
... Another question to ask yourself is, how do you go about finding a publisher that would publish such a book, by an unknown, unproven author?

You may have written a fantastic book, but if you can't find anyone to publish it, it will collect dust.

Esoteric, or not, the above still applies. So, as to your original question, "Can I make good money as an animation historian?", it very much depends on that.

The only other way around that is to have enough money to publish your book yourself.

After that, you would then have to market it - no easy task.
0 Replies