NK: Going the way of Libya? (In Bush's column?)

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:31 pm
I don't believe there is any chance of that happening. Militarily speaking, China is no match for us and they know it. Further; their economy would hit the basement the minute they made an enemy of the US. There would be no profit in it for them. That treaty has outlived its usefulness.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:35 pm
Adn we, as Americans, have the right to say whose treaties are valid? I think not. China would flatten the US troops in S. Korea, and likely threaten a nuclear strike against the US if it did not surrentder immediately.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:00 pm
I didn't say we had a right, Bob. That was just my opinion of the treaty. As for a nuclear strike; I strongly urge you to look up China's military capabilities. Compared to the US, they may as well be North Korea. We could kill everyone in China within minutes of their attack and consequently they would never attack. Contrary to popular belief; they are not a member of the M.A.D. or Mutually Assured Destruction club. With all due respect; It would be too far against their own interests to interfere.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:02 pm
I'm so glad China has you to decide what their interests are. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:16 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The sunshine policy may very well have been reconciliatory, but ultimately it was doomed from the start. It was a one way street benefiting only the leaders of the North while ignoring ongoing human rights violations. Didn't you once say; not threatening or attacking someone is not a reward? Other than that; what did the sunshine policy really do for South Korea? I think it was a facade that only served to prolong the suffering of North Koreans at the hand of Kim Jong Il.

I'm having a hard time following your use of my argument about "not attacking". The Sunshine policy was never intended to thwart an attack. It began at a point at which attacks were not likely at all.

As to what it was accomplishing it was accomplishing precisiely what the originators and implementators of said policy had wanted, which was a gradual reconciliation of the Koreas. Things like a railway were being discussed and relatives that had been separated for years saw each ofther.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I suspect that you project US interests onto South Korea in error.

South Korea has as it's goal the simple "One Korea" dream and their use of the sunshine policy was simply meant to warm relations and it had been succeeding.

So my answer to the question "what did the sunshine policy really do for South Korea?" is: exactly what they had intended it to do.

Quote:
I don't mean to understate our fear of nukes. I just don't believe they constitute any real defense against our forces. His stated reasons are more of an excuse.

You've spoken at length about what you perceive as an "act" based upon his statements. What is long overdue is for me to ask you to cite said statements.

For example, here you are claiming that there are "stated reasons" for having the nukes.

I know of every single one of his statements that has been published and frankly I don't think you have any of them (note there are very few) in mind.

So what statement of Kim's are you calling false here? Do you even know of a single statement by Kim about the nukes?

I'm not trying to be abrasive, I simply do not think your statement is based on something that happened.

Quote:
NK was talking a lot tougher while we were fully engaged in Iraq. As we drew nearer to victory, Kim began softening his stance.

"Tough" is very subjective. Besides their predictable flip-flopping and slippery demands what exactly are you citing when you say they have "softened"?

I assert that you are projecting what you want to believe onto the situation but would like to be shown otherwise.

Besides giving up a demand of theirs that went nowhere what "softening" do you speak of? And how is it different from the longstanding trend toward North Korean reconciliation?

Quote:
I predicted the change would take place when we started removing our navy… and it did. I can't believe you don't see the correlation.

The reason I don't is because it is the archtypical fallacy of false cause, specifically the Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

I have already explained this fallacy once today so I will make this short. You are asserting "after this, therefore because of this" and failing to substantiate the correlation and choosing instead to merely use circumstantial evidence of a coincidental nature you are commiting the family of logical fallacies known as false cause.

For example, the US has repeatedly assured North Korea that we would not invade. This has been stated a few times during this administration's tenure and Bush went out of his way to state it emphatically.

You seem to be saying, without a shred of evidence, that Kim fears an immediate US invasion (the Navy comment ads a temporal setting) and that his stance is softening because of this.

This ignores several relevant facts.

• His trend toward reconciliation (i.e. "softening") has gone on for years.
  • The US has repeatedly and emphatically stated that the US would not attack them. Once going so far as to say that it was "not on the table".
  • Very few people believe an attack on North Korea is likely. In fact besides hysterical liberals who think Bush will attack everyone you are the only person I know of who has ever tried to argue this as likely.
  • The moving of the Navy is not even a realistic threat at all. An attack on North Korea at this moment would be a very idiotic error on the part of the US. An attack on North Korea is far more complex (and unrealiztic) than you imagine.
  • The US has not made any hostile moves or statements recently, since the beligerence was motivated by US words and actions that they took offense to you fail to note the correlation between the lack of abrasive dialogue and the improved dialogue.
  • Lastly, you fait to address the fact that North Korea has always been desperate to negotiate and fail to consider that they might have simply tired of being ignored.

Upon what basis (besides mere coincidence) do you assert this correlation? I do not agree with it because I consider it one of the more flimsy that I have seen.

Quote:
When NK's policy changes coincide with perceived threats by the US it lends additional credibility to us when dealing with other dictators.

Back up a bit, I think the one perceiving the threat is you. The US has not issued a recent threat or even engaged in provocative dialogue with them.

When we did, and when we issued direct threats they did not react in a positive way.

I therefore maintain that you are simply projecting what you want to believe and not basing it on geoploitical reality. I maintain that your predisposition toward militaristic action is making you use coincidental circumstantial evidence and asserting this that are directly contradicted by the preponderance of evidence.

Quote:
However negligible the development may be; a brutal megalomaniac making concessions in the face of American threats sends the appropriate message to other would-be villains.

And no matter how attractive these metaphors are to you, unless they reflect reality and are not based on errors and logical fallacies it is only a nice sounding metaphor.

We have issued no threat to them recently. We have in fact emphatically said we will not use military action against them.

Quote:
No, not right now. But I do not believe it would be as difficult as you think. What if:
We declare an embargo and set up a blockade completely surrounding him with our mighty navy.

Again your imagination is not reflecting reality. A naval blocade is an act of war by interational law. Your scenario is not even the film type but rather a TV type.

This whole absurd fantasy is based on one simple premise, that we can provoke North Korea into starting the war.

It's absurd, and the examples you sue are really really foolish (I am being as kind as I possibly can, my instinct is toward ridicule here).

For example:

Quote:
How long do you really think it would take before Kim made the mistake of attacking one of our planes for an airspace violation or some such thing? (casus belli) Do Americans want revenge? I'm betting they do.

After the act of war that is a naval blockade (remember this is already past a casus belli, this is the damn war itself) mobilization and subsequent violation of airspace will be seen to all (even most Americans) as a clearly provoked war.

A naval blockade is already an act of war, mobilizing and violating their territory with military equipment would be the clearest justification for their attack that is possible in this crazy "provoke them to start it" scenario.

Frankly I think the "axis of evil" comment was along those li'nes, sometimes I think the rhetoric was deliberately provocative, you just take it to comic book levels here with this fantasy.

But let's assume this outlandish fantasy is not flawed, what do you think a nuke on Seoul's effect on war weariness would have. What do you think ti would do to the frequency of the words "insanely reckless" and America being used in the same sentence.

I suspect you downplay this, and I'll jsut say this. Iraq was merely an unpopular war. What you describe could easily engage some of our allies in military opposition to the sheer lunacy you propose.

You do not even note that China would not tolerate this, and you do not take note of North Korea's ability to kill millions of South Koreans within 60 minutes of the war's inception.

I have rarely seen such a fantastically imaginative scenario and I am having a real hard time treating it seriously. I apologize for any derision that slips through. Like I said, this really honestly comes across as a bad joke to me.

Quote:
Here we are in complete agreement, save one thing. Absent that global police force, I applaud the actions of the vigilante. If the police didn't respond to my neighbor's perilous situation, I would feel compelled to myself.

Absent from your example is that the entity working the hardest to prevent said institutions from solidifying is the vigilante itself.

Quote:
Foolish scenario; I'll give you a foolish scenario…Just for fun:

Arg! It's going to get more foolish?

Quote:
After the above mentioned plane is shot down......

Look, it's admittedly foolish so I'll just comment on one aspect that pervades these scenarios. They are scripted, and geopolitics does not follow such a neat plot.

Anywho, absent your reasoning is the following:

North Korean use of artilery on Seoul, some estimates put the forecasted death toll at a few million South Koreans within 30 minutes.

North Korean use of nukes. This makes the risks you gloss over all the more dangrous.

Thus far you are focusing on how to sell the war to the American public while neglecting the logistical nightmare that invading North Korea poses.

But even if you are just trying toshow the ability to justify it somestically you should note that Kim is less infamous, and will not be as easy of a sell as the Saddam was to apolitical Americans.

You neglect to consider that South Korea itself might simply expell the Us and deny use of airspace.

You neglect that China might just be provoked into joining the war again.

You neglect to mention that Japan would staunchly oppose such lunacy (remember the nukes can reach them, they all are less feckless with their lives than are you).

And you neglect that Iraq, with the most infamous man on earth, with a legal obligations that would have granted a casus belli if true (and most Americans believed it to be true) was a damn tough sell.

Frankly I think you neglect just about everything except the desire to wage war on North Korea.

Quote:
Seriously though, what do you mean about the mustaches?

"Alliteration" of sorts with Hitler. Saddam's notoriety was not simply on the basis of his acts, others have been worse. He was seen as a mini-modern-Hitler because of things in addition to his acts, namely the chemistry of his charisma.

A recluse like Kim is harder to put horns on, most Americans would not recognize his face.

So we have saddam, the modern Hitler who sleeps with Satan in South Park, and Kim, who most Americans know not a whit about and who has not made an agressive move as had Saddam with the invasion of Kuwait.

There is a heck of a lot that you don't consider in these scenarios, it'll be easier just to agree to dsiagree.

We won't be attacking North Korea without a drastic deterioration in the status quo, this is because the American government is closer to seeing it my way than yours, and I thiank all the lucky gods and charms on earth for that fact.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
We could kill everyone in China within minutes of their attack and consequently they would never attack.

Now we are going down the rabbit hole, the only way we could do that is to carpet bomb China with ICBMs (not just nukes).

Doing this could easily start a nuclear holocaust. Russia would not be so happy for one. You have 4 nuclear powers in the region, this is one of the more poorly thought out comments I have seen and it trumps earlier ones.

Quote:

Contrary to popular belief; they are not a member of the M.A.D. or Mutually Assured Destruction club. With all due respect; It would be too far against their own interests to interfere.

China has nukes, China has nukes that can reach the US. Where you get the above I have no idea.

This is not a case like Israel. China has tested the bomb 45 times, most recently in 1996.

Where do you get this stuff?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:09 pm
Re: NK: Going the way of Libya? (In Bush's column?)
Sofia wrote:
Saw a small segment on NK a few days ago, stating that Kim Il Jong was making promises (no nuke testing, no production of even their "peaceful" {HAHA} nukes) if Bush would join the six-way talks....

Seems Bush wins again. If I remember correctly, Kim's last negotiation was: (Paraphrasing) "We will nuke you if you don't pay us--and we're not talking to anyone but the US".... Smile

Am I right, or not?

You're wrong. But, hey, thanks for coming out.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:23 am
Boy it's invigorating debating with people who are smarter than me. Idea Breath in, breath out. Okay Craven… lets get something straight. I am neither Mr. Spock nor a student of the art of debate. If my arguments don't always meet your standards; I am sorry. I read news off CNN.com and a multitude of sources from the jump station worldnews.com. I do not catalog what I read for future reference nor do I memorize my sources. I also pick up information from people that make sense to me (like this guy named Craven). Hell, I've even learned things from sources provided by Bob's somewhat demented sidekick (you know who Rolling Eyes ). I'm just an ordinary human being who enjoys reading interesting things, voicing my opinions and learning from the exchanges that follow. You strike me as a gifted debater with an extraordinary mind. Do not expect me to match your performance.
Oh yeah… and worry not about your criticisms, because these too, I find amusing. Now, put your gloves back on, because I'm not finished with you yet. :wink:

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The sunshine policy may very well have been reconciliatory, but ultimately it was doomed from the start. It was a one way street benefiting only the leaders of the North while ignoring ongoing human rights violations. Didn't you once say; not threatening or attacking someone is not a reward? Other than that; what did the sunshine policy really do for South Korea? I think it was a facade that only served to prolong the suffering of North Koreans at the hand of Kim Jong Il.
I'm having a hard time following your use of my argument about "not attacking". The Sunshine policy was never intended to thwart an attack. It began at a point at which attacks were not likely at all.

As to what it was accomplishing it was accomplishing precisiely what the originators and implementators of said policy had wanted, which was a gradual reconciliation of the Koreas. Things like a railway were being discussed and relatives that had been separated for years saw each ofther.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but I suspect that you project US interests onto South Korea in error.

South Korea has as it's goal the simple "One Korea" dream and their use of the sunshine policy was simply meant to warm relations and it had been succeeding.

So my answer to the question "what did the sunshine policy really do for South Korea?" is: exactly what they had intended it to do.
Some 10 million families are believed separated by the border between North and South, according to the South Korean Red Cross. As of 2002, a mere 5,402 families had met with their North Korean relatives. To this day, telephone and mail communication between the two states does not exist. A $500,000,000 bribe to get a party to sit down at a table doesn't strike me as an honest negotiation. At this rate of "gradual reconciliation" wouldn't have been accomplished in a lifetime. Certainly not in Kim Jong Il's lifetime. The results of his continued rule would be more likely to leave "One Korean". I may be wrong about my beliefs about the Sunshine Policy, but I'm certainly not alone in my beliefs. Idea
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200307/200307100026.html
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200307/10/200307102254248439900090109011.html
http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/kor030214.html
http://www.ahrchk.net/news/mainfile.php/ahrnews_200104/1409/

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I don't mean to understate our fear of nukes. I just don't believe they constitute any real defense against our forces. His stated reasons are more of an excuse.

You've spoken at length about what you perceive as an "act" based upon his statements. What is long overdue is for me to ask you to cite said statements.

For example, here you are claiming that there are "stated reasons" for having the nukes.

I know of every single one of his statements that has been published and frankly I don't think you have any of them (note there are very few) in mind.

So what statement of Kim's are you calling false here? Do you even know of a single statement by Kim about the nukes?

I'm not trying to be abrasive, I simply do not think your statement is based on something that happened.

Okay Craven, you busted me. Embarrassed I may very well of formed my opinion of Kim's intentions from excerpts from Pyongyang Times, or elsewhere. I'm not sure why quoting him would make much of a difference since he has no credibility in my book, anyway… Anyway, I would be very interested in reading what you have, if you have it handy.
Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

NK was talking a lot tougher while we were fully engaged in Iraq. As we drew nearer to victory, Kim began softening his stance.

"Tough" is very subjective. Besides their predictable flip-flopping and slippery demands what exactly are you citing when you say they have "softened"?

I assert that you are projecting what you want to believe onto the situation but would like to be shown otherwise.

Besides giving up a demand of theirs that went nowhere what "softening" do you speak of? And how is it different from the longstanding trend toward North Korean reconciliation?
First of all; you answered your own question. Second; Agreeing to inspections and multi-lateral talks, without some kind of carrot, is not part of a "longstanding trend". How hard are you trying to believe that?

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

I predicted the change would take place when we started removing our navy… and it did. I can't believe you don't see the correlation. When NK's policy changes coincide with perceived threats by the US it lends additional credibility to us when dealing with other dictators. However negligible the development may be; a brutal megalomaniac making concessions in the face of American threats sends the appropriate message to other would-be villains.

The reason I don't is because it is the archtypical fallacy of false cause, specifically the Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

I have already explained this fallacy once today so I will make this short. You are asserting "after this, therefore because of this" and failing to substantiate the correlation and choosing instead to merely use circumstantial evidence of a coincidental nature you are commiting the family of logical fallacies known as false cause.

For example, the US has repeatedly assured North Korea that we would not invade. This has been stated a few times during this administration's tenure and Bush went out of his way to state it emphatically.

You seem to be saying, without a shred of evidence, that Kim fears an immediate US invasion (the Navy comment ads a temporal setting) and that his stance is softening because of this.

This ignores several relevant facts.

• His trend toward reconciliation (i.e. "softening") has gone on for years.
  • The US has repeatedly and emphatically stated that the US would not attack them. Once going so far as to say that it was "not on the table".
  • Very few people believe an attack on North Korea is likely. In fact besides hysterical liberals who think Bush will attack everyone you are the only person I know of who has ever tried to argue this as likely.
  • The moving of the Navy is not even a realistic threat at all. An attack on North Korea at this moment would be a very idiotic error on the part of the US. An attack on North Korea is far more complex (and unrealiztic) than you imagine.
  • The US has not made any hostile moves or statements recently, since the beligerence was motivated by US words and actions that they took offense to you fail to note the correlation between the lack of abrasive dialogue and the improved dialogue.
  • Lastly, you fait to address the fact that North Korea has always been desperate to negotiate and fail to consider that they might have simply tired of being ignored.

Upon what basis (besides mere coincidence) do you assert this correlation? I do not agree with it because I consider it one of the more flimsy that I have seen…

…Back up a bit, I think the one perceiving the threat is you. The US has not issued a recent threat or even engaged in provocative dialogue with them.

When we did, and when we issued direct threats they did not react in a positive way.

I therefore maintain that you are simply projecting what you want to believe and not basing it on geoploitical reality. I maintain that your predisposition toward militaristic action is making you use coincidental circumstantial evidence and asserting this that are directly contradicted by the preponderance of evidence.

And no matter how attractive these metaphors are to you, unless they reflect reality and are not based on errors and logical fallacies it is only a nice sounding metaphor.

We have issued no threat to them recently. We have in fact emphatically said we will not use military action against them.

Damn, did I strike a nerve? Rolling Eyes Relax my friend. Okay, ready? You said yourself:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Kim has long acted paranoid about the US and has always overrated the US threats to him.
Therefore you can't possibly think the idea of Kim "perceiving a threat" is half as far-fetched as that long diatribe would lead one to believe. The "timing" being consistent with my "prediction" is a matter of fact, not fallacy. Now, I was either right; or coincidence shined on me. Which would you believe if you were me? Personally, what I think Kim fears most is that his terrorist threats aren't going to be rewarded anymore. Since we are flexing our military muscle lately, instead of handing out cash, he may very well feel like he's walking a tightrope. (By the way, I took the liberty of re-assembling the point you shamelessly chopped up in your tirade. Rolling Eyes I do hope you won't make a habit of that.)

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

No, not right now. But I do not believe it would be as difficult as you think. What if:
We declare an embargo and set up a blockade completely surrounding him with our mighty navy… … How long do you really think it would take before Kim made the mistake of attacking one of our planes for an airspace violation or some such thing? (casus belli) Do Americans want revenge? I'm betting they do.

Again your imagination is not reflecting reality. A naval blocade is an act of war by interational law. Your scenario is not even the film type but rather a TV type.

This whole absurd fantasy is based on one simple premise, that we can provoke North Korea into starting the war.

It's absurd, and the examples you sue are really really foolish (I am being as kind as I possibly can, my instinct is toward ridicule here).

After the act of war that is a naval blockade (remember this is already past a casus belli, this is the damn war itself) mobilization and subsequent violation of airspace will be seen to all (even most Americans) as a clearly provoked war.

A naval blockade is already an act of war, mobilizing and violating their territory with military equipment would be the clearest justification for their attack that is possible in this crazy "provoke them to start it" scenario.

Frankly I think the "axis of evil" comment was along those li'nes, sometimes I think the rhetoric was deliberately provocative, you just take it to comic book levels here with this fantasy.
Was that tantrum really necessary, just because I didn't know a blockade was an act of war according to international law? Rolling Eyes The whole point of that paragraph was an example of how the action could be pitched to the public. I have faith our hawks could conjure up a scenario more realistic (or make one up for that matter).
Craven de Kere wrote:

But let's assume this outlandish fantasy is not flawed, what do you think a nuke on Seoul's effect on war weariness would have. What do you think ti would do to the frequency of the words "insanely reckless" and America being used in the same sentence.

I suspect you downplay this, and I'll jsut say this. Iraq was merely an unpopular war. What you describe could easily engage some of our allies in military opposition to the sheer lunacy you propose.

You do not even note that China would not tolerate this, and you do not take note of North Korea's ability to kill millions of South Koreans within 60 minutes of the war's inception.

I have rarely seen such a fantastically imaginative scenario and I am having a real hard time treating it seriously. I apologize for any derision that slips through. Like I said, this really honestly comes across as a bad joke to me.
I can tell. I'm detecting very little laughter. Laughing I believe we have the military wherewithal to eliminate their nukes and debilitate a decent percentage of their conventional weapons on our first strike. I further believe if we knock out their leader we might just knock out their will to fight. I may be overestimating our military potency; but certainly no more than you underestimate it. Idea

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Here we are in complete agreement, save one thing. Absent that global police force, I applaud the actions of the vigilante. If the police didn't respond to my neighbor's perilous situation, I would feel compelled to myself.
Absent from your example is that the entity working the hardest to prevent said institutions from solidifying is the vigilante itself.
Careful… you just said you didn't want to debate about the usefulness or lack thereof of the UN. However; if you'd like to tackle that next; I'm game.

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Foolish scenario; I'll give you a foolish scenario…Just for fun:

Arg! It's going to get more foolish?

Look, it's admittedly foolish so I'll just comment on one aspect that pervades these scenarios. They are scripted, and geopolitics does not follow such a neat plot.

Anywho, absent your reasoning is the following:

North Korean use of artilery on Seoul, some estimates put the forecasted death toll at a few million South Koreans within 30 minutes.

North Korean use of nukes. This makes the risks you gloss over all the more dangrous.

Thus far you are focusing on how to sell the war to the American public while neglecting the logistical nightmare that invading North Korea poses.

But even if you are just trying toshow the ability to justify it somestically you should note that Kim is less infamous, and will not be as easy of a sell as the Saddam was to apolitical Americans.

You neglect to consider that South Korea itself might simply expell the Us and deny use of airspace.

You neglect that China might just be provoked into joining the war again.

You neglect to mention that Japan would staunchly oppose such lunacy (remember the nukes can reach them, they all are less feckless with their lives than are you).

And you neglect that Iraq, with the most infamous man on earth, with a legal obligations that would have granted a casus belli if true (and most Americans believed it to be true) was a damn tough sell.

Frankly I think you neglect just about everything except the desire to wage war on North Korea.
My fabled scenario was in blitzkrieg fashion. No invasion. We weren't seeking consensus before hand. I don't think you really believe any ally would take up arms against us. And if you really consider the ramifications of doing so, I think you'll concede China would definitely not nuke anyone… and probably stay out altogether. At no point did I suggest occupation. My thoughts are to devastate their offensive weaponry as quickly as possible and get out. A good friend of mine is South Korean born, and he tells me 95% of all Koreans would fight to the death against an invasion. But he believes that the majority of the North would welcome the South and that the citizens of the South would love the opportunity to help their brothers in the North. Disagree all you wish, but relax. Idea I'm no military strategist. Of course my "methodology" sounds silly. That's why it started with "just for fun".

Craven de Kere wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Seriously though, what do you mean about the mustaches?

"Alliteration" of sorts with Hitler. Saddam's notoriety was not simply on the basis of his acts, others have been worse. He was seen as a mini-modern-Hitler because of things in addition to his acts, namely the chemistry of his charisma.

A recluse like Kim is harder to put horns on, most Americans would not recognize his face.

So we have saddam, the modern Hitler who sleeps with Satan in South Park, and Kim, who most Americans know not a whit about and who has not made an agressive move as had Saddam with the invasion of Kuwait.

There is a heck of a lot that you don't consider in these scenarios, it'll be easier just to agree to dsiagree.

We won't be attacking North Korea without a drastic deterioration in the status quo, this is because the American government is closer to seeing it my way than yours, and I thiank all the lucky gods and charms on earth for that fact.
Interesting insight about the mustache.
As for attaching horns; I think that's actually a lot easier than you think. Especially after watching morons pouring fine "French" wine into the street Shocked and proudly eating freedom fries. Rolling Eyes One other thing you repeated a couple times in error; my belief that America will attack NK. I don't think they will. But I do think its work that needs to be done. I'll get back to you with my nuke sources.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:34 am
Waht boggles the mind is how willing you are to sacrifice both the North and South Korean people in these fantasies of yours. Are you aware of how much damage would be caused by atacking military targets with nuclear weapons? Are you aware of how long the areas would remain uninhabitable? As for your "no occupation" comment, I find it very hard to consider anyone who would entertain the thought of attacking another nation with nuclear weapons, then just sitting back and watching them suffer without doing anything to help (which seems to be what you suggest) to be in any way a rational human being. Just my opinion.
Your "Korean Friend" comment reminds me of the Neo-cons listening to Chalabi tell them that the Iraqis would welcome Americans with flowers and champagne.
Unfortunately this, attitude of fist pumping, flag waving, militaristic "American pride" has already gotten us dep into a "war" we cannot win, and looks likley to be carries over into Syria soon, if saner heads don't prevail. Who knows, occy, you may just get your nuclear war with Korea yet. I hope you enjoy it in the time it takes missiles to reach the US from China. I know the rest of us won't. Sad
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:14 am
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002/01/10/china-nukes.htm
Here you are Craven. 20 ICBM's does not make them a member of the M.A.D. club. Including tacticals, they may have as many as 400 warheads, but that still isn't going to end the world. We have 6000 deployed, double that could be deployed and double that, that we could re-assemble... and the only other member of the M.A.D. club is Russia, who has even more. What a sick sidebar. Just in case it doesn't go without say: There is nothing I'd like to see less than a Nuclear War. Sad
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:16 am
Hobitbob, what the hell are you talking about? I never advocated Nuclear War with anyone.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:46 am
For a more recent assesment of China's nuclear arsenal, see :Global Security dot org.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:47 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Some 10 million families are believed separated by the border between North and South, according to the South Korean Red Cross. As of 2002, a mere 5,402 families had met with their North Korean relatives. To this day, telephone and mail communication between the two states does not exist. A $500,000,000 bribe to get a party to sit down at a table doesn't strike me as an honest negotiation.

Yes, the progress has been slow, what I sought to point out is that said progress has only been made under certain lines of policy.

I know it's not satisfactory to you but the families you just used in the statistics overwhelmingly prefer the sunshine route to that which you propose.

As to the "bribe" I'd like more info on that. I think it's a bit of a distortion to label much of the aid given to North Korea as "bribes". I've long considered that a rhetorical description.

The aid given to North Korea is more along the lines of a purchase. They have a legitimate need for cheaper energy and our wishes are such that we tried to get them not to pursue it.

We agreed to provide energy aid in several forms.

Secondly our economic pressure is placing North Korean lives at risk, and we therefore grant humanitarian aid.

That the humanitarian aid is tied to certain benchmarks is not something I consider a bribe. The economic warfare being waged is a large reason they need the aid in the first place.

But this is a quibble, I don't mind if you call it a "bribe" but because it is a payment in return for North Korean concessions that they are under no obligation whatsoever to comply with I see it as a natural method through which we try to achieve our goals.

Since our goals are not in their self-interest it is natural that we try to make it so.

Since our goals would cost them significant amounts of money it is natural for us to offer to make up some of the difference.

Since our actions (economic sanctions) help keep the North Korean people in dire need during a severe series droughts I do not consider it a bribe to offer "humanitarian" aid.

Quote:
Okay Craven, you busted me. Embarrassed I may very well of formed my opinion of Kim's intentions from excerpts from Pyongyang Times, or elsewhere. I'm not sure why quoting him would make much of a difference since he has no credibility in my book, anyway…

It's not a matter of his credibility but yours. ;-)

You said you disagree with his "stated" reasons and I am wondering what statements you refer to and doubting their existence.

Quote:
Anyway, I would be very interested in reading what you have, if you have it handy.

Actually my point was that i do not believe the statements you referenced exist.

I can vaguely cite what some participants in US/NK negotiations have said but not Kim.

What I remember was along the lines of "of course we are pursuing nukes, you are threatening us with nukes".

That's the only "stated reason" I am aware of and do not know how you intend to portray it as an act.

Quote:
First of all; you answered your own question. Second; Agreeing to inspections and multi-lateral talks, without some kind of carrot, is not part of a "longstanding trend". How hard are you trying to believe that?

NK has agreed to negotiations many times in the past, in fact negotiations seem to be their favorite pastime. It's not hard for me to "believe" or assert that agreeing to negotiations is not a huge deal.

I base this on their incessant call for negotiations.

Do you think they plan to negotiate without a "carrot" in their sights? Do you think that they do not want the lifting of the economic warfare?

I find it hard to believe that they'd negotiate for any purpose other than carrots. That is in many ways what negotiation is all about.

In the past I have criticized mataphoric approaches to geopolitics and I'll illustrate why.

It's popular and sounds good to say that they refuse to negotiate without "bribes" and "carrots".

Yet this can be applied to either side, do we not seek our own goals (i.e. carrots) with them?

And in recent history our willingness to merely negotiate has had more strings attached than theirs.

For example, we have refused to negotiate at all with them for a period in which we demanded the nuke issue on the table of said negotiations.

Simply put if anyone is negotiating without a goal (i.e. "carrot") in mind they are a fool. That is the main purpose of negotiations.

Quote:
Damn, did I strike a nerve? Rolling Eyes Relax my friend.

Not at all Bill, you simply said something that made me type a lot. These discussions almost never elicit any form of emotional response from me.

Quote:
Okay, ready? You said yourself:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Kim has long acted paranoid about the US and has always overrated the US threats to him.
Therefore you can't possibly think the idea of Kim "perceiving a threat" is half as far-fetched as that long diatribe would lead one to believe.

You asserted that our "threats" to him caused certain progress. I noted that we have not threatened him and that we have gone out of our way to make clear that we had no plans for military action against them.

Yes, Kim, by my estimation, has always overrated the US beligerence.

But as I note none of said beligerence has occured of late. So I am asserting that the "softening" has far more to do with the period of calm between the nations than "threats" which have been absent in recent months.

Quote:
The "timing" being consistent with my "prediction" is a matter of fact, not fallacy.

What is a fallacy is not the timing, but the false cause you asserted based on the timing.

Saying that the events coincided is not fallacious, trying to assert causative effect merely on the basis of coincidental occurance is a fallacy.

It is called a Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, translated that roughly means "after this, therefore because of this".

When you tried to connect the naval point to the "softening" you commited precisely that fallacy for the reasons I cited.

Quote:
Now, I was either right; or coincidence shined on me. Which would you believe if you were me?

I would not have made the prediction in the first place as i see them as wholly unrelated events.

Quote:
Personally, what I think Kim fears most is that his terrorist threats aren't going to be rewarded anymore. Since we are flexing our military muscle lately, instead of handing out cash, he may very well feel like he's walking a tightrope.

It's popular to say his "terrorist threats" were "rewarded". I do not consider this to be a reality for some of the same reasons I do not think the use of the word "bribe" accurately reflects reality.

Quote:
(By the way, I took the liberty of re-assembling the point you shamelessly chopped up in your tirade. Rolling Eyes I do hope you won't make a habit of that.)

Bill you often complain that people don't quote you entirely. I respond to specific statements that i wish to address and have no intention of including the portions of your post that I am not talking about or that I agree with.

If I had made your meaning different by quoting the portion I was addressing I'd agree with your complaint. But I did not do so and I think that when you request that more defensible portions of your post be included you are neglecting that my main qualms usually lie within the less defensible portions. Such is the nature of debate.

Nested quotes are ugly, so much so that many forums have rules against them and some forums use software solutions to make them impossible. I quote only for the purpose of highlighting specific portions of the post that I am addressing at the time and unless the meaning of the segment i am addressing is altered I do not think you have a legitimate reason to request that I quote in the manner you'd like.

If you can tell me how an exclusion has altered your point in any meaningful way I will consider rectifying it. But I will otherwise continue to quote the specific portion I am currently addressing.

Quote:
Was that tantrum really necessary, just because I didn't know a blockade was an act of war according to international law? Rolling Eyes

The point wasn't the legality of the act. I'm not sure if you considered that we are officially at war with Korea. That makes the legality moot.

The point was that I think you do not consider the majority of the implications of your proposals. I am trying to say that what you suggested was not subtle provocation at all.

Quote:
The whole point of that paragraph was an example of how the action could be pitched to the public. I have faith our hawks could conjure up a scenario more realistic (or make one up for that matter).

They have, and since they are far less attractive that you seem to think invading NK would be they are more cautious.

Quote:
I can tell. I'm detecting very little laughter. Laughing I believe we have the military wherewithal to eliminate their nukes and debilitate a decent percentage of their conventional weapons on our first strike. I further believe if we knock out their leader we might just knock out their will to fight. I may be overestimating our military potency; but certainly no more than you underestimate it. Idea

You misunderstand me. I am not underestimating the military. I am commenting about political capital and war weariness.

Let's skip to an easy portion of the above. We do not even know how many nukes they have. They had nukes for what some estimate was a year before we knew.

You are confident that we can pre-emptively take them out but there mere chance of not doing so is a prospect that precludes viability of the war as it lacks sufficient political capital.

We'd need another 9/11 to even begin to save up enough political capital to begin to bang that drum. That is the point.

The mentions of how many ways it can go wrong and in ways that can cause massive casualties is a reference to the cost in terms of political capital.

You think we can get the nukes. But do you think Japan is willking to gamble on that? Do you think they'd let us use their sea and land? Do you think South korea would be as confident with gampling with millions of their lives as you are?

I don't think so. I don't think even the hawks are anywhere near as confident as you are about avoiding catastrophic casualties.

Winning the war would be easy. The prospect of a nuclear exchange is a lot graver to most than to you.

Quote:
Careful… you just said you didn't want to debate about the usefulness or lack thereof of the UN. However; if you'd like to tackle that next; I'm game.

Perhaps in another thread on another day. This could go on forever so I'll be winding down my participation soon.

Quote:
My fabled scenario was in blitzkrieg fashion. No invasion. We weren't seeking consensus before hand.

It would take months to move troops into position. Blitzkrieg implies an element of surprise that would not be possible.

Quote:
I don't think you really believe any ally would take up arms against us. And if you really consider the ramifications of doing so, I think you'll concede China would definitely not nuke anyone… and probably stay out altogether.

You're right. But the point was about possibility.

When people string together a sequence that they find probable they usually do not note that even if each even has a high probability as long as they are contingient on each other the overall likelihood is vertually nothing.

For example, you seem to be treating the situation like there are a string of, say, 90% likelihoods and the result is a 90% likelihood that things will go your way.

But if the 10% events are points of failure the probability is very different from what you alledge.

Teens frequently do the "then I'd do this.." game when choreographing their fights. Then being in one almost nothing goes as planned.

The complex scenarios you describe do not reflect the simple realities of the laws of probablity.

It is, indeed unlikely that China would take arms against the US. But that is just a reference to a point of failure and I bring it up because your scenarios have little to no reference to points of failure and are of the type that leaves little alternative for contingiency.

For that reason (basically the scenarios not reflecting reality in the form of basic probability calculations) I am saying that they will remain in the realm of imagination.

Quote:
Interesting insight about the mustache.

Thanks, but my use of the word "alliteration" did not make a bit of sense.

Quote:
As for attaching horns; I think that's actually a lot easier than you think. Especially after watching morons pouring fine "French" wine into the street Shocked and proudly eating freedom fries. Rolling Eyes

There has always been great animosity between Americans and the French. That is not true of the average American and Koreans unless we are discussing 60-year-old males.

To them it'd be an easy sell indeed. To most of apolitical America it will be a "huh?".

Without the strong symbolic leader it'll be more like the vietnam justifications. There will be less opportunity to make it a theatrical showdown because Kim's a recluse.

What I'm saying is that the play would be more difficult since the villain has stage fright.

Quote:
I'll get back to you with my nuke sources.

Chinese nuclear testing is documented. I have no idea how you plan to suggest that they do not have nukes but I am suggesting that this will be a futile effort.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 01:52 am
Ok, just saw what you were talking about with China's nukes.

Tactical nukes are very effective when they are next door neighbours to the conflict.

But this I'm far too deep in this war game as it is, and since I find it outlandish I'll leave it at that.

You said you do not advocate nuclear war. But many feel that invading North Korea would have a string chance of featuring a nuclear detonation or two.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:01 am
Craven, you misunderstood the "bribe" to which I was referring. Likely because you lack the time to read the links I posted. The light water facility costs a hell of a lot more than $500,000,000. I was talking about the secret cash sent over via Hyundai that merely got Kim Jong Il to the table. You know, at the Nobel Prize winning summit… The one that turned out to be a sham and resulted in Kim Dae-jung apologizing for secretly, illegally sending a half billion dollars through Hyundai, who's chairman later through himself out a 12th story window to avoid prosecution. The same bribe that rather disturbed the South Korean people when they learned that Kim Dae-jung knew all along about some 70 bomb tests by Kim Jong Il, that may well have been paid for with their Sunshine money. Doesn't sound too sunny to me. Your idea of progress is astonishing. At that rate, all the Koreans could be united for about half of a Trillion Dollars over the next 4,000 years. I may be wrong about my solution, but the Sunshine Policy isn't it either. Idea
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/04/1059849337932.html
You also seem to be misunderstanding the difference between the Nuclear Club and the M.A.D. or Mutually Assured Destruction Club. They are not the same thing. Idea

Please explain your insult about my credibility. It's rather strange considering you are one of the most courteous persons on here. You put me on the spot for a quote, that you vaguely remember yourself… And what you do remember; fits my post perfectly in the first place. "Act" should be quite evident. Kim's pursuit of "Nukes" will in no way protect him from our "Nukes". If we were going to pre-emptive strike with nukes, we'd surround him with subs and vaporize him before he could get a "Nuke" off. Obviously we are not going to do that anyway, but if we did; Nukes of his own would do him no good. Therefore, his stated reason, to the best of your recollection, is bogus. My suggestion that he wants them for blackmail is far more likely. If you trace that comment back to its origin; it fits even better. Idea

"Carrots" is another place you've misunderstood. I was talking about a carrot to get him to the table, which if you care to read links I provided you earlier, he has a habit of requiring. Of course all parties expect to leave with something. If I was nitpicking I'd call that patronization an insult too. What Bush is doing now; is putting the shoe on the other foot. If you go back to where we started, you'll see that is one of the things I've liked about Bush's behavior from the beginning (dealing from the position of strength that is rightfully ours). I could pick a couple other bones but don't see any profit in it. :wink:
Other than these clarifications; I agree with you that we probably understand each other about as well as we are going to on this subject. Thanks for the chat. Smile

Ps I didn't know nested quotes were considered ugly. I thought they were useful and their symmetry attractive. Outside of game windows, yours is the first chat website I've ever really frequented… also; you are correct; you didn't deliberately alter my points. I'll try to learn to be more concise and avoid that from my end.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:42 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Please explain your insult about my credibility. It's rather strange considering you are one of the most courteous persons on here.

Gotta be quick but let me comment on this.

It wasn't meant as an insult at all. What I was saying was that I didn't place credence in your reference, not that I didn't place credence in Kim (whose credence I was not discussing).

The reference I cited still doesn't constitute much of an act. The reference ultimately played out like this:

US: "We have evidence that you have nukes."
NK: "Of course we have nukes you threaten us with nukes and we will pursue our own"

Very paraphrased but they wern't trying to justify it at all. They were stating it as a "right" and being beligerent. They seemed more pissed taht we'd found out about them than anything else.

But like I said earlier, I gotta wind this one down, before I go I'd like to mention that:

1) When you mentioned the 500,000 "bribe"I did indeed completely miscontrue it. And yes, I don't read the links, mainly because I have read the stories in the past (and, BTW,if you reference what case the links refer to I will likely remember it).

2) I did, indeed, not make the distiction between MAD and being a nuclear power. And I misinterpreted your statements about China to be an assertion that they did not have nukes.

Just trying to get them out of the way, in case I don't get back to this thread for a bit.
0 Replies