Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 08:39 pm
“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.”
--Woody Allen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:07 am
There was a little girl, she had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
And when she was good, she was very, very good,
And when she was bad, she was horrid.

Mother Goose
chai2

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 07:51 am
@edgarblythe,
"Snap out of it!"

~Loretta - Moonstruck
0 Replies

33export

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:03 am
"I'd like to help you....."My congressman.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:40 pm
"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:47 pm
We cannot simply speak out against an escalation of troops in Iraq, we must act to prevent it... There can be no doubt that the Constitution gives Congress the authority to decide whether to fund military action, and Congress can demand a justification from the president for such action before it appropriates the funds to carry it out.
Edward Kennedy
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 06:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good ol' Ted.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 08:15 pm
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”
Bob Dylan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 09:36 pm
"If you've got 'em by the balls, their heart and mind will follow."

Lyndon B Johnson
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
~ Noam Chomsky

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:01 pm
Dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
- Roger Miller
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2012 08:24 pm
@msolga,
The only difference between American propaganda and Russian propaganda is that Americans tend to believe theirs. [paraphrased]

American based Russian reporter
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2012 05:07 pm
“The great thing about Glasgow is that if there's a nuclear attack it'll look exactly the same afterwards.”
Billy Connolly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 06:41 am
Here the melting-pot stands open — if you're willing to get bleached first.”
Buffy Sainte-Marie

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:25 am
War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it.
~ George Orwell

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 05:36 pm
I got a bee in my bonnet this afternoon to look up an old Fbaezer thread. Still haven't gotten to it since I stopped to reread others. Which leads me to a thread of his about Bobbio, upon his death - the opening post being an eye opener, listing several Bobbio quotes.

I said in the thread that I would put his books on my list, but failed. On the other hand, I have bought and liked other books fb recommended and was glad I did, so I meant well.

http://able2know.org/topic/17495-1#post-517883
I'm the one who highlights the english translation of the quotes with a color -

The thread post:
Norberto Bobbio, the most important political philosopher of Italy, and one of the most influential ones, world wide, died last friday. He was 94.

"The philosopher of Freedom" was so popular in his country, even taxi drivers asked him for autographs. A Liberal, he kept a "continuing" dialogue with Marxists and Catholics alike. He was a Senator for life, and is best know for his Dizionario di Politiica a two volume "brick" with detailled definitions and discussions about every political concept.

His personal motto was: "Culture and intellectual equilibrium, critical reflexion, sense of discernment, abhorring any simplification, any manicheism, any parciality".

(Cultura è equilibrio intellettuale, riflessione critica, senso di discernimento, aborrimento di ogni semplificazione, di ogni manicheismo, di ogni parzialità)

He wrote:
The task of men of culture is today, more than ever, to seminate doubts, not to harvest certainties.

Il compito degli uomini di cultura è più che mai oggi quello di seminare dei dubbi, non già di raccogliere certezze.

Distrust a philosopher who knows he knows.

Diffidate di un filosofo che sa di sapere.

Democracy has won the challenge put forth by historical Communism, let's admit that. But with what means and what ideals does it confront the same problems from which the Communist challenge was born?

La democrazia ha vinto la sfida del comunismo storico, ammettiamolo. Ma con quali mezzi e con quali ideali si dispone ad affrontare gli stessi problemi da cui era nata la sfida comunista?

In a democracy everyone is equally free. Equally: the adverb is of the upmost importance. This equality requires, in my opinion, also the acknowledgement of social rights, starting from the essencial ones (schooling, work, health), who make possible, among other thing, a better exercize of the freedom rights

In democrazia tutti sono ugualmente liberi. Ugualmente: l'avverbio è fondamentale. Questa uguaglianza richiede, a mio parere, il riconoscimento anche dei diritti sociali, a partire da quelli essenziali (istruzione, lavoro, salute), che rendono fra l'altro possibile un migliore esercizio dei diritti di libertà.

Has anyone in A2K read Bobbio? If not, may his death be an invitation to do it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 06:56 pm
Quote:
Pizza and ice cream are the great levelers of the depressed. They certainly don't raise ones spirits.

Tsarstepan
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 07:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
On the BBC I was watching Putin's speech, with a translation voice over. The translator had a Russian accent and he pronounced 'We are a nation of winners,' as 'We are a nation of weiners.' Attribute which ever meaning you want.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 07:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
really?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:10 pm
"I come from a family where gravy is considered a beverage. " --Erma Bombeck
0 Replies