Your Quote of the Day

spendius

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
He might have said "I've left you a few million bucks and some good contacts. You should be okay."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 05:47 am
The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched.
~Henry David Thoreau, Walden
spendius

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 09:36 am
@msolga,
That's a bit precious Olga. Thoreau had the ladle out goodstyle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 06:58 pm
“It's too bad I'm not as wonderful a person as people say I am, because the world could use a few people like that.”
― Alan Alda
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:18 am
"I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need."
~ Francois-Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), when asked how he managed to make his remarkable sculptures.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/r/rodin/thumb/kiss.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:27 am
Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of saying a simple thing in a simple way”
― Marcel Proust
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:30 am
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
—André Gide
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 02:20 pm
"Sentimental humanitarians always form a most pernicious body, with an influence for bad hardly surpassed by that of the professional criminal class."

Theodore Roosevelt.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:09 pm
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone."
Al Capone
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:52 pm
Those who wish to seek out the cause of miracles, and to understand the things of nature as philosophers, and not to stare at them in astonishment like fools, are soon considered heretical and impious, and proclaimed as such by those whom the mob adores as the interpreters of nature and the gods. For these men know that once ignorance is put aside that wonderment would be taken away which is the only means by which their authority is preserved.

-Spinoza
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:17 am
Tom: You can tell who's running the country by how much clothes people wear, see?
Dick: Do you mean that some people can afford more clothes on, and some people have... less on? Is that what you mean?
Tom: That's right.
Dick: I don't understand.
Tom: See, the ordinary people, you'd say that the ordinary people are the less-ons.
Dick: So who's running the country?
Tom: The morons.

The Smothers Brothers
farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Beware of any enterprise that requires new clothing.
--Thoreau
spendius

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:45 am
@farmerman,
Like dining in a restaurant.

"Restaurants are threatening places for men."

Francois Truffaut.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 08:31 pm
“Everybody says sex is obscene. The only true obscenity is war.”
― Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer

“I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive.”
― Henry Miller
msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 08:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
“My Zen teacher also said: the only way to true happiness is to live in the moment and not worry about the future. Of course, he died penniless and single."
~ Carrie, Sex and the City.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 09:07 am
Any war that requires the suspension of reason as a necessity for support is a bad war.”
― Norman Mailer
JTT

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2012 11:46 am
@edgarblythe,
The suspension of reason is something that America does with the greatest flourish.

jtt
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 11:52 am
“What do you mean, blindly? That baby is a very sentient creature… That baby sees the world with a completeness that you and I will never know again. His doors of perception have not yet been closed. He still experiences the moment he lives in.”
― Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:58 pm
Thе morе I knоw аbout people, the bеtter I lіkе my dog. -- Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2012 06:15 am
“...but I should say that kindliness, and sincerity, and if I may say so--modesty--are worth far more to a man, to a husband, than all the wit and beauty in the world.”
― Daphne du Maurier
0 Replies