Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2012 08:18 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

really?

Yes....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 08:10 am
But always, to her, red and green cabbages were to be jade and burgundy, chrysoprase and prophyry. Life has no weapons against a woman like that.”
― Edna Ferber, So Big
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 09:44 am
On the Daily Show Jon Stewart played a portion of the congressional hearings on the mandate to cover contraception. A bishop gave testimony and compared the mandate to a Kosher deli being required to serve pork.

Jon Stewart's response: "Your parable about the Kosher deli makes no f***ing sense."
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 10:20 am
"Moreover, she was now approaching the August of a woman's life, a time when reflection and tenderness meet, when the ripeness to come kindles a deeper flame in the eye, when knowledge strengthens the vigour of the heart, and the whole being, in the fullness of its bloom, overflows with richness, harmony, and beauty."

Gustave Flaubert. Chap VI of L'Education sentimentale.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:43 pm
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the earth and in the contemplation of her beauties to know of wonder and humility."
-Rachel Carson (1907-1964)
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:45 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
and she was from Pittsburgh. Usually the favorite quote spoken by Pittsburghites is :

"Gimme agreen grenade"
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:53 pm
@farmerman,
I'm guessing that's something that gets you legless. I'm just not sure whether you'd drink it or smoke it. Either way.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 10:57 pm
(after Clark Gable ended up with the role of Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind (1939)) "Gone with the Wind is going to be the biggest flop in history. I`m just glad it`ll be Clark Gable who`s falling on his face and not Gary Cooper.
Gary Cooper
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 10:55 am
“Give me a moment, because I like to cry for joy. It's so delicious, John dear, to cry for joy.”
― Charles Dickens, Our Mutual Friend
izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
On Mock The Week Frankie Boyle was asked to give a line you won't hear in a Lord Of The Rings type fantasy film. His answer was, 'I'm not a dwarf, I'm a lesbian.'
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 02:40 pm
Scientists have just built the world's biggest supercollider, and they're doing experiments to see what makes up protons. I hope that if the experiment's successful, the whole of our reality will dissolve, and a big sign will up come that says: Level Two.
-Frankie Boyle.
MrsVISHOUS2012

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 03:06 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
“I'm the top of the food chain and well...you're the food.”
― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dance with the Devil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:06 am
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Maya Angelou

jcboy

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
“New Rule: Gay marriage won't lead to dog marriage. It is not a slippery slope to rampant inter-species coupling. When women got the right to vote, it didn't lead to hamsters voting. No court has extended the Equal Protection Clause to salmon. And, for the record, ALL marriages are same sex marriages. You get married, and, every night, it's the same sex.” -Bill Maher
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 05:40 pm
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.
Donald Rumsfeld

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 06:20 am
“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”
― Roald Dahl, The Twits
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 07:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
"How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrible, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June... If it were only the other way! If it were I who was to be always young, and the picture that was to grow old! For that-for that-I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give! I would give my soul for that!"
- Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray Ch. 2
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:19 am
Good leadership consists of showing average people how to do the work of superior people.”
John D. Rockefeller

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:22 pm
euro I love that one by Dorian Grey. edgar, Didn't John D. own the world?

"Yes, friends, ye are old again," said Dr. Heidegger, "and lo! the Water of Youth is all lavished on the ground. Well--I bemoan it not; for if the fountain gushed at my very doorstep, I would not stoop to bathe my lips in it--no, though its delirium were for years instead of moments. Such is the lesson ye have taught me!"

Hawthorne

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 07:24 pm
It's been ages since I read Hawthorne, but I remember that.
0 Replies