Your Quote of the Day

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 07:03 am
He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
~ Immanuel Kant

izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 07:08 am
@msolga,
How true, I saw a documentary on a serial killer yesterday, so many of them start out with animals.
msolga

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 07:12 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, I know.
Kids with "cruel streaks" towards helpless animals give me the shivers.
Adults who are sadistic towards animals are beyond comprehension.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 07:16 am
@msolga,
When I was a teenager I read a short horror story about a boy who pulls the legs off spiders that ends up killing his sister. Changing the subject.

"It's just one ******* thing after another." Odysseus.
msolga

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 07:38 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Changing the subject.

Good idea! Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 08:55 am
If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you.”
Paul Newman

spendius

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:01 am
@edgarblythe,
We need to see who won the money to decide who the suckers are ed. Newman was engaging in cheap macho hubris there.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:26 am
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
Woody Allen
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:28 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Woody was engaging in cheap macho hubris there, euro.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:29 am
@edgarblythe,
He so was Ed. Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 09:29 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Very Happy Razz Smile
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:09 am
@msolga,
The only failure a man ought to fear is failure in cleaving to the purpose he sees to be best.

George Eliot
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 10:03 pm
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change”
― Charles Darwin
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 11:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Scientists have proven that it's impossible to long-jump 30 feet, but I don't listen to that kind of talk. Thoughts like that have a way of sinking into your feet.

Carl Lewis
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 01:12 pm
I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit.”
Mel Brooks

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 04:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change”
― Charles Darwin

I hadn't thought of Darwin as a revolutionary in that way. It's a bit scary really what with the little old virus being able to respond to change with the rapidity it does.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2012 08:05 pm
"A gentleman is a man who can play the accordion, but doesn't." --Unknown
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:21 am
“If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 03:56 pm
Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine! ~Thomas Hood
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 06:21 pm

Once I forgave my father, everything else became possible. I started telling him, "Before you leave this planet" -- because he was on his way out -- "I need to hear you say, 'I love you very much, son.' "

When he died, I was in the room with Jane, her husband, Tom Hayden, dad's fifth wife, Shirlee, and we were in the room and everybody was really morbid, but not me. At first I was looking at him, he was kind of in another state. And then he came to consciousness. He looked around, blinking one eye and then the other, like a drunk trying to find the right part of the path to walk down. Beautiful big blue eyes, you know. Then he looked at his firstborn, Jane, and then he looked at Hayden. When he looked at me, both eyes opened. He focused on me and he said, "I want you to know, son, I love you very much." That's how we left it.

Peter Fonda