Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 04:17 pm
So, where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?
— Christina Aguilera
Laughing
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:59 pm
When I rest my feet my mind also ceases to function.
J.G. Hamann
(quoted by Bruce Chatwin in The Songlines.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 06:15 am
A human being - what is a human being? Everything and nothing. Through the power of thought it can mirror everything it experiences. Through memory and knowledge it becomes a microcosm, carrying the world within itself. A mirror of things, a mirror of facts. Each human being becomes a little universe within the universe!”
― Guy de Maupassant
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Here is the secret of inspiration: Tell yourself that thousands and tens of thousands of people, not very intelligent and certainly no more intelligent than the rest of us, have mastered problems as difficult as those that now baffle you.

William Feather
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:37 pm
KEVIN BALES, Understanding Global Slavery

As long as the mind is enslaved, the body can never be free. Psychological freedom, a firm sense of self-esteem, is the most powerful weapon against the long night of physical slavery.

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't.

William Trogdon
spendius

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 05:31 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
"Puritanism is the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.”

H.L. Mencken.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2012 07:49 pm
Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?”
Jack Kerouac

spendius

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 05:53 am
@edgarblythe,
Dylan answered that ed--"We're goin' all the way till the wheels fall off and burn."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 06:06 am
“Our heads are round so thought can change direction”
― Allen Ginsberg
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 10:47 am
@edgarblythe,
We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.

Abraham Lincoln
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 03:14 pm
"It is not clear why the religious beliefs of any employer or insurer should take precedence over those of its employees or enrollees."
--Adam Sonfield in the AMA Journal of Ethics
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2012 05:04 pm
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
—Will Rogers
izzythepush

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 02:33 am
@eurocelticyankee,
A lot of people said Mel Gibson couldn't pull off the role of a Scotsman when he was cast in Braveheart, but look at him now, an alcoholic racist. Frankie Boyle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 06:11 am
On playing the Riddler in "Batman" (1966): "When I was first approached to play the Riddler, I thought it was a joke. Then I discovered the show had a good script and agreed to do the role.... Now I am in love with the character. I developed the Riddler`s fiendish laugh at Hollywood parties. I listened to myself laugh and discovered that that the funniest jokes brought out the high-pitched giggle I use on the show. With further study I came to realize that it wasn`t so much how I laughed as what I laughed at that created the sense of menace."

Frank Gorshin
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
For a crowd is not company; and faces are but a gallery of pictures; and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love.

Francis Bacon
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:20 pm
When you go into court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty.
—Norm Crosby
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2012 05:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
I loved seeing Frank Gorshin. He's right. It was what he laughed at that I found amusing.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:35 am
@spendius,
The failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision and strengthens our most fatal tendency---the belief that the here and now is all there is.

Allan Bloom
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2012 11:43 am
I must have had faith that day. When I went out, I was Henry Fonda again. An unemployed actor but a man.

Henry Fonda
0 Replies