Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 08:32 am
If you go flying back through time, and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it’s probably best to avoid eye contact.
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 11:51 am
Copied from X: I don't know if he really said this but it's an amazing statement by any standard:

"These Lakota stole this land from the Sioux who were here for a tremendous amount of time." - D Trump
Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
If he said it, you KNOW that it’s a lie. If it’s correct, it would’ve meant he read and retained something from a credible source.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2024 01:49 pm
@Ragman,
The Lakota are the Sioux
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 7 Jul, 2024 10:47 am
“Trump is not only a woman-hating, neo-Nazi-sympathizing sociopath. He is also a profound threat to the international order that has been the foundation of Western progress for so long,” he wrote in Time. “It is because I cherish and champion those values that this Friday, I will march with London against Donald Trump.”
--David Lammy, Time magazine opinion piece, 2018 (incoming Secretary of State for Foreign Commonwealth and Development Affairs)

Builder

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2024 06:30 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
He is also a profound threat to the international order that has been the foundation of Western progress for so long,”

I see lots of claims like this, but what's lacking, is how he started no new conflicts, and smoothed out relations with some difficult world leaders, during his time in office.

Kindly point to how he upset "international order" at all during his time in office.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2024 11:44 pm
"Narcissists are delusional. They. fully believe everything they're telling you. The problem is they deceive you because they're authentic. They're real. They mean it. This is a bone of contention with people who dislike Trump. The dislikers will say he's lying, and the Trump supporters would say, "I sense authenticity and honesty."
--Sam Vaknin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2024 06:09 am
Billy 1
Song by Bob Dylan

There's guns across the river aimin' at ya
Lawman on your trail, he'd like to catch ya
Bounty hunters, too, they'd like to get ya
Billy, they don't like you to be so free.
Campin' out all night on the berenda
Dealin' cards 'til dawn in the hacienda
Up to Boot Hill they'd like to send ya
Billy, don't you turn your back on me.
Playin' around with some sweet senorita
Into her dark hallway she will lead ya
In some lonesome shadows she will greet ya
Billy, you're so far away from home.
There's eyes behind the mirrors in empty places
Bullet holes and scars between the spaces
There's always one more notch and ten more paces
Billy, and you're walkin' all alone.
They say that Pat Garrett's got your number
So sleep with one eye open when you slumber
Every little sound just might be thunder
Thunder from the barrel of his gun.
Guitars will play your grand finale
Down in some Tularosa alley,
Maybe in the Rio Pecos valley
There's always some new stranger sneakin' glances
Some trigger-happy fool willin' to take chances
And some old whore from San Pedro to make advances
Advances on your spirit and your soul.
The businessmen from Taos want you to go down
They've hired Pat Garrett to force a showdown.
Billy, don't it make ya feel so low-down
To be shot down by the man who was your friend?
Hang on to your woman if you got one
Remember in El Paso, once, you shot one.
She may have been a whore, but she was a hot one
Billy, you been runnin' for so long.
Guitars will play your grand finale
Down in some Tularosa alley
Maybe in the Rio Pecos valley
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2024 06:32 am
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”

~ Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2024 08:26 am
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." --Charles Darwin
We're so screwed.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2024 08:30 am
It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Probably Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2024 12:19 pm
“This constant lying is not aimed at making the people believe a lie, but at ensuring that no one believes anything anymore.
A people that can no longer distinguish between truth and lies cannot distinguish between right and wrong. And such a people, deprived of the power to think and judge, is, without knowing and willing it, completely subjected to the rule of lies.
With such a people, you can do whatever you want.”
—Hannah Arendt, German historian and philosopher (1906–1975)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2024 01:05 pm
“To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.”
― Reba McEntire
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 07:14 am
Mark Twain

"We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove. We have two opinions: one private, which we are afraid to express; and another one—the one we use—which we force ourselves to wear . . . until habit makes us comfortable in it, and the custom of defending it presently makes us love it, adore it, and forget how pitifully we came by it." (1885)
"Conformity--the natural instinct to passively yield to that vague something recognized as authority." (1893)
"There are those who would misteach us that to stick in a rut is consistency—and a virtue; and that to climb out of the rut is inconsistency—and a vice. . . . Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world—and never will. (1887)
"We are nothing but echoes. We have no opinions of our own, we are but a compost heap made up of decayed heredities, moral and physical." (1906)
"It is our nature to conform; it is a force which not many can successfully resist. What is its seat? The inborn requirement of self-approval."
"In morals, conduct, and beliefs we take the color of our environment and associations, and it is a color that can be safely warranted to wash."
"Broadly speaking corn-pone stands for self-approval. Self-approval is acquired mainly from the approval of others. Conformity is the result. Corn-pone is conformity. Sometimes it has a sordid business interest back of it and is calculated: but mainly is it unconscious and not calculated." (1901)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2024 01:00 pm
Taggart: What do you want me to do, sir?
Hedley Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down.
[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]
Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.
Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Jul, 2024 05:01 pm
"Birds are known as the singers of the animal kingdom but they also enjoy listening to the music of other birds. Elephants are musically inclined. They sway their trunks to the sound of music they like and they will beat steel drums for their enjoyment. The best however is the cow. You can go into an empty cattle field and start playing an instrument. Those cows will come running to you. Music fascinates them. Music helps everyone and everything be at peace."
- Native Spirit's
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2024 05:41 am
"When you worship power, compassion will look like a sin." --Rev. Benjamin Cremer
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2024 09:14 am
If you fumble Handy Andy I'll kick your football.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2024 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
The ineluctable modality of the visible
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Aug, 2024 01:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why not? The bold soldier boy.