Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 May, 2024 09:24 am
'Look at what happens to fighter - even the best of them. Joe Louis ended up a doorman at Caesars Palace. He was in a wheelchair at the end. Sonny Liston died in this town, a drunk and a junkie with no money. Even Ali, look at Ali. I love Ali but when they introduce him at my fights I look away. Sure, they cheer him, but where's his beauty now, his speed, away, his talent? It's gone, it's gone. You ask any boxer, whether he's Muhammad Ali or me, whether he's from Brooklyn or Britain. In the ring you're in the hurt business.
Getting hurt, giving hurt - like always, dreaming of getting out to a better place, but you know you're never gonna stay there long. So l got no illusions about boxing, none. This is a brutal business. It's the hurt business. But I'm a fighter - that's all I can do. It's my destiny!'
- Mike Tyson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 May, 2024 08:53 am
"I don't know how you perceive my mission as a writer, but for me it is not a responsibility to reaffirm your concretized myths and provincial prejudices. It is not my job to lull you with a false sense of the rightness of the universe. This wonderful and terrible occupation of recreating the world in a different way, each time fresh and strange, is an act of revolutionary guerrilla warfare. I stir the soup. I inconvenience you. I make your nose run and your eyes water." -- Harlan Ellison
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2024 09:57 am
Sean Ono Lennon
People often ask me to tell them what my father would think if he were alive today. (I try not to play this game because it is rather pointless).

But the one thing I am certain of is that he would NOT think exactly the same way he did then. The most consistent thing about him was that his thinking evolved. He was always growing as a person and was committed to expanding his consciousness and updating his world view.

So whatever he would think, it would not be the same thing he thought before. He was too smart to stay stuck in the past.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2024 08:10 am
When asked how fascism starts, Bertrand Russell replied: "First, they fascinate the fools. Then they muzzle the intelligent."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2024 09:21 am
From Classic TV Series on Facebook:
Frank Burns
1: “There’s your lounge lizard at war!”
2. “It’s nice to be nice to the nice.”
3. “Oh nerts to you!”
4. Attempting to wax philosophic: “Funny thing, war: never have so many suffered so much so so few could be so happy.”
5. “Nosey Nate!”
6. “That’s not my department. Intelligence is something I try to avoid.”
7. Frank: “Well I happen to think stealing is worse than lying.”
Margaret: “And you did both.”
Frank: “So I ought to know!”
8. “Courage is something you just can’t be afraid to have.”
-Nonsensical Gibberish, but also wise in its own way. Only from Frank.
9. Anytime Frank starts babbling because he is delirious. My favorites of these quotes: When he gets Hemorrhagic fever from “Solder of the Month”. Frank makes his will with Father Mulcahy and leaves all his clothes to Margaret: “Margaret, if I should go (die) before you, I’ll be waiting for you on the other side.”
Margaret: “Oh Frank, darling “
Frank: “But if my wife is there, pretend you don’t know me.”
And
Making his will with Father Mulcahy:
Mulcahy (to Margaret): “He does have the fever and a person is supposed to be of sound mind.”
Frank: “That’s ok Father, I don’t think my mind was any sounder when I was well.”
10. This isn’t a quote, but I love Frank’s sniveling, duplicitous, conniving laugh. Probably The Simpsons Mr Burns and Frank have the two best evil laughs in all TV.
well

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2024 03:45 am
@edgarblythe,
You never know, the worth of the well, until the day it runs dry.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2024 09:51 am
A Timeless Note from Mark Twain About the Jewish People, published in the year 1899:
“If the statistics are right, the Jews constitute but one percent of the human race. It suggests a nebulous dim puff of star dust lost in the blaze of the Milky Way. Properly the Jew ought hardly to be heard of, but he is heard of, has always been heard of. He is as prominent on the planet as any other people, and his commercial importance is extravagantly out of proportion to the smallness of his bulk. His contributions to the world’s list of great names in literature, science, art, music, finance, medicine, and abstruse learning are also away out of proportion to the weakness of his numbers. He has made a marvelous fight in the world, in all the ages; and has done it with his hands tied behind him. He could be vain of himself, and be excused for it. The Egyptian, the Babylonian, and the Persian rose, filled the planet with sound and splendor, then faded to dream-stuff and passed away; the Greek and the Roman followed, and made a vast noise, and they are gone; other peoples have sprung up and held their torch high for a time, but it burned out, and they sit in twilight now, or have vanished. The Jew saw them all, beat them all, and is now what he always was, exhibiting no decadence, no infirmities of age, no weakening of his parts, no slowing of his energies, no dulling of his alert and aggressive mind. All things are mortal but the Jew; all other forces pass, but he remains. What is the secret of his immortality?” - Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2024 05:12 pm
https://scontent-hou1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/446873063_122156805980198436_6850233015619164688_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=qE8PShYFtYUQ7kNvgHrcjUu&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.xx&oh=00_AYBMM2pjMBbKkVR7Sj1ktH56J8uO7XTerfLxnhhAevCQ9A&oe=66700BD2
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2024 05:44 pm
Charles Bukowski
“Great writers are indecent people
they live unfairly
saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world
so that bastards like me can keep
creating art,
become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead
it means I made it.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2024 10:49 pm
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, ‘The Beatles did.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2024 12:04 pm
It really seems to me that in the midst of great tragedy, there is always the horrible possibility that something terribly funny will happen.
—Philip K. Dick
0 Replies