169

Your Quote of the Day

1  
Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2022 05:10 am
You can't fart without there being a video instantly on social media.

1  
Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 07:40 am
“Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either your sails or your rudder be broken you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a stand still in mid-seas.
For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and a passion unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction. Therefore let your soul exalt your reason to the height of passion, that it may sing; and let it direct your passion with reason, that your passion may live through its own daily ressurrection, and like the phoenix rise above its own ashes.”
― Kahlil Gibran, Il Profeta

1  
Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2022 01:10 pm
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the aeroplane, the pessimist the parachute."
~ George Bernard Shaw

Yalow

1  
Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2022 11:13 am
“If the Martians ever find out how human beings think, they'll kill themselves laughing.”
― Albert Ellis

2  
Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2022 05:18 am
Janis Ian
"Who knows why we were taught to fear the witches, and not those who burned them alive."
* Please keep in mind that men were also burned as witches. It's not only about "the patriarchy" - that's too simple an answer.
Also, traditionally witches were not burned; they were hanged. I'm sure that made them feel better about it...
coluber2001

1  
Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2022 09:18 am
@edgarblythe,
"Please keep in mind that men were also burned as witches. It's not only about "the patriarchy" - that's too simple an answer."

Patriarchy is not simply male against female. It's the mind dominating nature versus a balance of mind and nature, which is the matriarchy.

1  
Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 05:30 am
“Man is so intelligent that he feels impelled to invent theories to account for what happens in the world. Unfortunately, he is not quite intelligent enough, in most cases, to find correct explanations. So that when he acts on his theories, he behaves very often like a lunatic.”
― Aldous Huxley
coluber2001

1  
Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2022 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Humanity today is like a waking dreamer, caught between the fantasies of sleep and the chaos of the real world. The mind seeks but cannot find the precise place and hour. We have created a Star Wars civilization, with Stone Age emotions, medieval institutions, and godlike technology. We thrash about. We are terribly confused by the mere fact of our existence, and a danger to ourselves and to the rest of life.
--Edward O. Wilson, The Social Conquest of Earth

Yalow

1  
Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2022 03:52 pm
“Take some books and read; that’s an immense help; and books are always good company if you have the right sort.”
― Louisa May Alcott

2  
Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2022 08:36 am
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~ Samuel Johnson

coluber2001

1  
Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2022 10:27 am
Nature holds the key to our aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and even spiritual satisfaction.
--E.O. Wilson

1  
Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2022 05:44 am
"You raise up your fist and you learn to resist and you say 'I will not disappear'". From the song "Resist". Janis Ian

1  
Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2022 09:37 pm
"We are just viruses with shoes."
- Bill Hicks

Bubbles66

1  
Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2022 05:51 am
You have not failed until you quit trying.
Gordon B. Hinckley

1  
Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2022 11:10 pm
“If you wish to become a philosopher, the first thing to realise is that most people go through life with a whole world of beliefs that have no sort of rational justification, and that one man’s world of beliefs is apt to be incompatible with another man’s, so that they cannot both be right. People’s opinions are mainly designed to make them feel comfortable; truth, for most people is a secondary consideration.”
― Bertrand Russell, The Art of Philosophizing and other Essays (1942)

1  
Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2022 06:23 am
"We’re only here for a short while. And I think it’s such a lucky accident, having been born, that we’re almost obliged to pay attention. In some ways, this is getting far afield. I mean, we are — as far as we know — the only part of the universe that’s self-conscious. We could even be the universe’s form of consciousness. We might have come along so that the universe could look at itself. I don’t know that, but we’re made of the same stuff that stars are made of, or that floats around in space. But we’re combined in such a way that we can describe what it’s like to be alive, to be witnesses. Most of our experience is that of being a witness. We see and hear and smell other things. I think being alive is responding."--Mark Strand

1  
Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2022 10:21 am
“We defend with our lives the petty principles which divide us. The common principle, which is the establishment of the empire of man on earth, we never lift a finger to defend. We are frightened of any urge which would lift us out of the muck. We fight only for the status quo, our particular status quo. We battle with heads down and eyes closed.”
― Henry Miller

1  
Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2022 07:57 am
"After all, Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backwards and in high heels." -Ann Richards 1988
* actual source: Ginger Rogers herself credited the quote to a 1982 cartoon by Bob Thaves.

1  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 06:19 am
“People always said that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in.”
- Rosa Parks

1  
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 07:29 am
"Tennessee loved to praise things by labeling them as sentimental, and I kept telling him that I felt this was a pejorative term. He was horrified. I then asked him to explain his own definition of sentimental. He explained that sentiment was realizing, when a female character walked on stage, what her mother told her when she was a young girl leaving the house; when a character walks on stage and you suddenly recall the perfume your mother wore or the scent of your father's tobacco; when a look on a character's face reminded you of the little boy who was brutalized by the school bully, and how he looked around for help or a sympathetic face. Sentiment to Tennessee was really a profound memory, and from that time on, I was proud to call myself sentimental." Elia Kazan on the sentimental nature of Tennessee Williams/1994