edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2021 07:09 am
“I wonder why progress looks so much like destruction.”
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2021 07:40 am
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2021 07:56 am
“The quality of ideas seems to play a minor role in mass movement leadership. What counts is the arrogant gesture, the complete disregard of the opinion of others, the singlehanded defiance of the world.”
― Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2021 09:15 am
“Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.” ~Redd Foxx
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 05:02 am
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
- Bill Shankly
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 07:53 am
@edgarblythe,
That quotation is almost a cliche over here.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 07:58 am
@izzythepush,
I like my football but have learned to take it in stride. I could live without it if need be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2021 06:00 am
“I'm a citizen in a democracy. To call me an activist would be redundant. It's not a spectator sport. If we all become non-participants, it no longer works.”
― Michael Moore, The World According to Michael Moore: A Portrait in His Own Words
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 08:25 am
“Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick
up a turd by the clean end.”
― Texas A&M Student
izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Political correctness is all about treating people how you would like to be treated.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
The term political correctness was first used here as a putdown of people who are not rabid rightwingers. You want me to supports being altruistic? Then you are forcing your political correctness upon me. Rush Limbaugh was the first assholeI heard of using it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
I am not forcing anything on you.

I just don't think it's right to use racist, sexist or homophobic language.

From what I've heard Rush Limbaugh was a far right piece of ****, if he is against political correctness it has to be a good thing.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
According to Wikipedia, the first use of the term politically correct, as it is understood today, was in 1970 by Toni Cade Bambara in an anthology called The Black Woman, no mention of Limbaugh at all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:25 am
@izzythepush,
You may be misunderstanding me. Doing what reasonable people do for the public good is generally viewed as being left in your views. But far-right people don't subscribe to anything even slightly left. They are the ones who coined the phrase "political correctness" as a derisive term to be used against the left. They don't want leftist terms and ides used and they claim they are resisting being forced into accepting leftist programs and thought.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Limbaugh made it popular by hitting on it daily, according to his iterpretation. Didn't say he invented it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Not according to Wikipedia they weren't.

Why should we let the far right claim the language?

They are not resisting anything they are being bigoted.

Universal Health Care helps the general population but it's not an example of political correctness.

Political correctness is all about the language used to describe people.

Now I can accept that some of the negative things said about political correctness are as a response to some on the friges going too far, complaining about male and female electrical connectors and plumber's use of terms like stopcock.

That is bollocks and most people on the left accept it's bollocks.

At the end of the day being politically correct is just about treating people decently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:51 am
Political correctness is a term that was being used by the right to disparage leftists. Since language and ideas are fluid, it may have drifted enough in peoples minds to mean other than what I have written. I dismissed the term back when Limbaugh used it daily and articles began quoting him. That was quite a few years back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2021 06:27 am
“My mother, for instance, thought-or rather, knew-that it was dangerous to drive an automobile without gasoline: it fried the valves, or something. 'Now don't you dare drive all over town without gasoline!' she would say to us when we started off" (31).”
― James Thurber, My Life And Hard Times
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Sep, 2021 05:31 am
“True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. ”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2021 06:10 am
“A man is never such an egotist as at moments of spiritual ecstasy. At such times it seems to him that there is nothing on earth more splendid and interesting than himself.”
― Leo Tolstoy, The Cossacks