166

Your Quote of the Day

1  
Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 06:42 am
“Out of my sight! Thou dost infect mine eyes.”
― William Shakespeare, Richard III

1  
Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 08:02 am
“You've got to have something to eat, and a little love in your life before you can hold still for any damn body's sermon on how to behave.”
― Billie Holiday

1  
Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 12:33 pm
“It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right.”
― Molière

1  
Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 06:39 am
“It is important to bear in mind that political campaigns are designed by the same people who sell toothpaste and cars.”
― Noam Chomsky

1  
Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2021 07:09 am
“I wonder why progress looks so much like destruction.”
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

1  
Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2021 07:40 am
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

1  
Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2021 07:56 am
“The quality of ideas seems to play a minor role in mass movement leadership. What counts is the arrogant gesture, the complete disregard of the opinion of others, the singlehanded defiance of the world.”
― Eric Hoffer, The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass

2  
Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2021 09:15 am
“Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.” ~Redd Foxx

1  
Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 05:02 am
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.
- Bill Shankly

1  
Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 07:53 am
@edgarblythe,
That quotation is almost a cliche over here.

1  
Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 07:58 am
I like my football but have learned to take it in stride. I could live without it if need be.

1  
Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2021 06:00 am
“I'm a citizen in a democracy. To call me an activist would be redundant. It's not a spectator sport. If we all become non-participants, it no longer works.”
― Michael Moore, The World According to Michael Moore: A Portrait in His Own Words

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 08:25 am
“Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick
up a turd by the clean end.”
― Texas A&M Student

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Political correctness is all about treating people how you would like to be treated.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:08 am
The term political correctness was first used here as a putdown of people who are not rabid rightwingers. You want me to supports being altruistic? Then you are forcing your political correctness upon me. Rush Limbaugh was the first assholeI heard of using it.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
I am not forcing anything on you.

I just don't think it's right to use racist, sexist or homophobic language.

From what I've heard Rush Limbaugh was a far right piece of ****, if he is against political correctness it has to be a good thing.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:19 am
According to Wikipedia, the first use of the term politically correct, as it is understood today, was in 1970 by Toni Cade Bambara in an anthology called The Black Woman, no mention of Limbaugh at all.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:25 am
You may be misunderstanding me. Doing what reasonable people do for the public good is generally viewed as being left in your views. But far-right people don't subscribe to anything even slightly left. They are the ones who coined the phrase "political correctness" as a derisive term to be used against the left. They don't want leftist terms and ides used and they claim they are resisting being forced into accepting leftist programs and thought.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Limbaugh made it popular by hitting on it daily, according to his iterpretation. Didn't say he invented it.

1  
Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
Not according to Wikipedia they weren't.

Why should we let the far right claim the language?

They are not resisting anything they are being bigoted.

Universal Health Care helps the general population but it's not an example of political correctness.

Political correctness is all about the language used to describe people.

Now I can accept that some of the negative things said about political correctness are as a response to some on the friges going too far, complaining about male and female electrical connectors and plumber's use of terms like stopcock.

That is bollocks and most people on the left accept it's bollocks.

At the end of the day being politically correct is just about treating people decently.