166

Your Quote of the Day

1  
Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2020 07:30 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Happy Bloomsday.

“Every life is in many days, day after day. We walk through ourselves, meeting robbers, ghosts, giants, old men, young men, wives, widows, brothers-in-love, but always meeting ourselves.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“To learn one must be humble. But life is the great teacher.”

― James Joyce, Ulysses

“Let my country die for me.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“As you are now so once were we.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

“What incensed him the most was the blatant jokes of the ones that passed it all off as a jest, pretending to understand everything and in reality not knowing their own minds.”
― James Joyce, Ulysses

RTÉ has today announced that an almost 30-hour production of James Joyce’s Ulysses will be broadcast on its DAB and online worldwide channel RTÉ Radio 1 Extra to celebrate Bloomsday.

The full dramatised production – originally broadcast in 1982 to celebrate the centenary of Joyce, and totalling 29 hours and 45 minutes in duration - will begin at the same time as both Stephen Dedalus’ and Leopold Bloom's journey through Dublin begins in the book: 8am (Irish time) on 16 June. With Bloomsday 2020 one of many events in the nation's cultural calendar to be affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, RTÉ will mark the occasion with this unique and ambitious broadcast.

What is the home without Potter's Meat?

1  
Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 06:46 am
“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain.”
― Vivian Greene

1  
Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2020 05:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dancing in the rain. https://www.google.com/search?q=dancing+in+the+rain&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk00jWk-90VkYMJ1ynVJ497B99yWaGw:1592435436036&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjQ_vej_InqAhUPqp4KHfP2Cs8Q_AUoAXoECBwQAw&biw=2560&bih=1377

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 10:27 am
“The false promise of objectivity in journalism reinforces white supremacy.”
― Desmond Cole, The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power

1  
Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2020 01:25 pm
A twofer today.

"A dog reflects the family life. Whoever saw a frisky dog in a gloomy family, or a sad dog in a happy one? Snarling people have snarling dogs, dangerous people have dangerous ones." -Arthur Conan Doyle

1  
Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2020 07:14 am
“Your judgments about another person say more about your own character than the character of the person you are pointing a finger at.”
― James Hilton ( Cowboy)

1  
Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2020 08:51 am
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
― Marcel Proust

2  
Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2020 08:44 am
“Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men.”
― Terry Pratchett, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

2  
Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 08:23 am
“I have great faith in fools - self-confidence my friends will call it.”
― Edgar Allan Poe, Marginalia

1  
Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2020 06:37 am
“Norman’s Law: The day the product team is announced, it is behind schedule and over its budget.”
― Donald A. Norman, The Design of Everyday Things

1  
Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 05:24 am
“I don't understand.'

'Yes, you do. You just do not want to. You humans are all the same. Willing to live a lie, any lie, as long as it is prettier than the truth. It's one of the few things that I love about your race.”
― John Gwynne, Valor

1  
Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 08:49 am
@edgarblythe,
“A painter should begin every canvas with a wash of black, because all things in nature are dark except where exposed by the light.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

1  
Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:28 am
“So I was separated, sent away to therapists and doctors who tried to fix me instead of trying to fix the toxins I was breathing.”
― Glennon Doyle, Untamed

1  
Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2020 06:55 am
“Life is 360 degrees, so you can go in all directions! If you don't know this, you don't know how many paths life offers you and thus how rich life is!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan

1  
Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2020 06:52 am
“It’s because I’m a product of this country and I’m just as susceptible to the narrative that fetishizes and erases Asian Americans as anybody else.”
― Ijeoma Oluo, So You Want to Talk About Race

1  
Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2020 09:48 am
“Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
― Terry Pratchett, Mort

1  
Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2020 07:17 am
“Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

1  
Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2020 06:35 am
“While there is a lower class I am in it; While there is a criminal class I am of it; While there is a soul in prison I am not free. —Eugene V Debs”
― Eugene V. Debs, Writings of Eugene V. Debs

1  
Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2020 07:10 am
“Nothing is easier than to divide men into rightists and leftists, hunchbacks and straightbacks, fascists and democrats—and these distinctions will be perfectly just. But truth, we know, is that which clarifies, not that which confuses. Truth is the language that expresses universality.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars

1  
Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2020 04:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know there's no context here, but that's what makes it great.
I just feel sorry for Marcus.

https://www.gucmakale.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/mansp5.jpg