Your Quote of the Day

coluber2001

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:54 pm
"What's your question? What's your question? Sir, a question does not begin with I. Have a good evening, sir."

Larry King hosting an evening call-in radio show.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 08:40 pm
“We hippies talked of peace and love, and the good men we championed fell because of violence and hatred.”
― Gerald Maclennon, Wrestling with Angels: An Anthology of Prose & Poetry 1962-2016 Revised
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 02:50 pm
“If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.”
― John Lennon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2020 10:19 pm
“I don’t believe in adhering to any rules I don’t support and I didn’t vote for. To hell with what people think. Just be who you are and you’ll be happy.”
― Willie Nelson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2020 11:19 pm
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.”
― Winston S. Churchill
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 10:05 am
“It's a saying they have, that a man has a false heart in his mouth for the world to see, another in his breast to show to his special friends and his family, and the real one, the true one, the secret one, which is never known to anyone except to himself alone, hidden only God knows where.”
― James Clavell, Shōgun
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2020 01:27 pm
We are terribly confused by the mere fact of our existence, and a danger to ourselves and to the rest of life.
--Edward O. Wilson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 09:42 am
“Living in a world such as this is like dancing on a live volcano.”
― Kentetsu Takamori
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2020 05:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Especially in Japan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2020 09:45 am
"Every tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." -Samuel Beckett
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2020 04:54 pm
“Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2020 10:41 pm
“Just war theory has been converted into a form of apologetics for whatever atrocities your favored state is carrying out.”
― Noam Chomsky, What We Say Goes: Conversations on U.S. Power in a Changing World
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2020 11:45 pm
"When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important."
--Jiddu Krishnamurti
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2020 07:54 am
“I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn’t know.”
― Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2020 09:36 pm
“All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2020 12:22 pm
"The idea of the supernatural as being something over and above the natural is a killing idea. In the Middle Ages this was the idea that finally turned that world into something like a wasteland, a land where people were living inauthentic lives, never doing a think they truly wanted to because the supernatural laws required them to live as directed by their clergy. In a wasteland, people are fulfilling purposes that are not properly theirs but have been put upon them as inescapable laws. This is a killer.... The spirit is really the bouquet of life. It is not something breathed into life, it comes out of life. This is one of the glorious things about the mother-goddess religions, where the world is the body of the Goddess, divine in itself, and divinity isn't something ruling over and above a fallen nature.... Our story of the fall in the Garden sees nature as corrupt; and that myth corrupts the whole world for us. Because nature is thought of as corrupt, every spontaneous act is sinful and must not be yielded to. You get a totally different civilization and a totally different way of living according to whether your myth presents nature as fallen or whether nature is in itself a manifestation of divinity, and the spirit is the revelation of the divinity that is inherent in nature."

Joseph Campbell," The Power of Myth"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2020 07:08 pm
“The Dutch fetishes who converted me tell me every Sunday that the blacks and whites are all children of one father, whom they call Adam. As for me, I do not understand anything of genealogies; but if what these preachers say is true, we are all second cousins; and you must allow that it is impossible to be worse treated by our relations than we are.”
― Voltaire
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2020 09:24 am
The man who says he can, and the man who says he can’t are both correct.
Confucius
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2020 01:30 pm
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2020 10:09 am
“A civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be spineless.”
― James Baldwin, The Fire Next Time
0 Replies