Strength without hands to smite;
Love that endures for a breath;
Night, the shadow of light,
And Life, the shadow of death.”
― Algernon Charles Swinburne, Poems and Ballads Atalanta in Calydon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:59 pm
“True law, the code of justice, the essence of our sensations of right and wrong, is the conscience of society. It has taken thousands of years to develop, and it is the greatest, the most distinguishing quality which has developed with mankind ... If we can touch God at all, where do we touch him save in the conscience? And what is the conscience of any man save his little fragment of the conscience of all men in all time?”
― Walter Van Tilburg Clark, The Ox-Bow Incident
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2020 04:05 pm
Dan Rather

For anyone who tells you 2020 will be worse than 2019 please politely inform them, the future has yet to be written and you intend to make your voice heard. We all have the power to make a difference.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 03:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
People are just expressing their 20/20 vision, although most may be blind.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2020 11:29 pm
“As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.”
― Gore Vidal
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.
Lord Byron
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 10:49 pm
All we are saying is Give peace a chance -
John Lennon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 11:09 pm
“Atticus said to Jem one day, "I’d rather you shot at tin cans in the backyard, but I know you’ll go after birds. Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "Your father’s right," she said. "Mockingbirds don’t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corn cribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 07:33 pm
“Leave the matter of religion to the family altar the church and the private school supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and state forever separate.”
― Ulysses S. Grant
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 11:26 pm
“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete”
― Rod Serling
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10:34 am
James Joyce died on this day in 1941.

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home." —James Joyce, ULYSSES
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 08:54 am
“Either America will destroy ignorance or ignorance will destroy the United States.”
― W.E.B. DuBois
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 03:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Trump and his minions are looking pretty successful at it. This new era in American politics has changed us forever. Our 200 years of progress has been reversed, and the white supremacists of this country are on their road to destroy it. Only whites from Norway need apply for citizenship. First step; stop all immigration from South America. QUOTE: 70,000 Whites Murdered in ‘Modern’ South Africa; Obama’s ...
americanfreepress.net/70000-whites-murdered-in...
America should trade and relocate Afro Americans back to Africa and relocate all whites from South Africa etc. to America? The American blacks would be happy back in their ancestral lands and whites would be welcome in America. Of course this would be open and voluntary. Then everyone could be happy and free. https://americanfreepress.net/70000-whites-murdered-in-modern-south-africa-obamas-african-legacy/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 01:54 pm
“We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.”
― Anais Nin
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 02:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
We are the human species with all the faults, ignorance, and ridiculous beliefs that most of us hold as facts. Length of time on this planet doesn't improve it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 09:54 am
“Someone told me the delightful story of the crusader who put a chastity belt on his wife and gave the key to his best friend for safekeeping, in case of his death. He had ridden only a few miles away when his friend, riding hard, caught up with him, saying 'You gave me the wrong key!”
― Anais Nin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2020 08:22 pm
“Colorful demonstrations and weekend marches are vital but alone are not powerful enough to stop wars. Wars will be stopped only when soldiers refuse to fight, when workers refuse to load weapons onto ships and aircraft, when people boycott the economic outposts of Empire that are strung across the globe. ”
― Arundhati Roy, Public Power in the Age of Empire
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2020 09:00 am
“Well, I know," she said. "You'll pretend you were men instead of babies, and you'll be played in the movies by Frank Sinatra and John Wayne or some of those other glamorous, war-loving, dirty old men. And war will look just wonderful, so we'll have a lot more of them. And they'll be fought by babies like the babies upstairs."
So then I understood. It was war that made her so angry. She didn't want her babies or anybody else's babies killed in wars. And she thought wars were partly encouraged by books and movies.

So I held up my right hand and I made her a promise: "Mary," I said, "I don't think this book of mine will ever be finished. I must have written five thousand pages by now, and thrown them all away. If I ever do finish it, though, I give you my word of honor: there won't be a part for Frank Sinatra or John Wayne.
"I tell you what," I said, "I'll call it 'The Children's Crusade.'"
She was my friend after that.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 08:44 am
“When one man says, “No, I won’t,” Rome begins to fear.”
― Dalton Trumbo
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 09:44 am
Lord Byron was born on this day in 1788!

"But words are things, and a small drop of ink,
Falling, like dew, upon a thought produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions think."
—Lord Byron
0 Replies