Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:47 am
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/75580231_10219982937859733_7304740034685435904_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQkcrpXIPtlqsVqTQEWNk2WfRIYrL5nA7kAXy5BiQiTpPEEPyMiASiEIyzqgAY0Bjan_EbziiyxZESX5OkyGlM6j&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=35c3eae241d302e9fe44f5345e66205d&oe=5E594C6B
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 11:03 pm
“I'm a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I'm no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won't hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat.”
― Muhammad Ali, The Greatest My Own Story
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2019 11:20 pm
“Life has to be given a meaning because of the obvious fact that it has no meaning.”
― Henry Miller
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 12:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Philosophers continue to search for the answer, but none is forthcoming.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:36 am
“Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.”
― Abbie Hoffman
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2019 08:48 pm
“Once I thought that to be human was the highest aim a man could have, but I see now that it was meant to destroy me. To-day I am proud to say that I am inhuman, that I belong not to men and governments, that I have nothing to do with creeds and principles. I have nothing to do with the creaking machinery of humanity - I belong to the earth!”
― Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2019 12:05 pm
I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing.
Prince Philip

Do you seriously expect me to be the first Prince of Wales in history not to have a mistress?
Prince Charles

On Epstein being a sex offender.
Was I right in having him as a friend? At the time, bearing in mind this was some years before he was accused of being a sex offender.
I don’t think there was anything wrong then, the problem was the fact that once he had been convicted.
Prince Andrew

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 07:58 am
"Beware of artists. They mix with all classes of society and are therefore the most dangerous."
Don't know the source.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Nov, 2019 12:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Ask not, what the country can do for you."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 02:15 pm
“This campaign was never just about electing a president of the United States—as enormously important as that was. This campaign was about transforming America. It was about the understanding that real change never takes place from the top on down. It always takes place from the bottom on up. It takes place when ordinary people, by the millions, are prepared to stand up and fight for justice.”
― Bernie Sanders, Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 05:01 pm
“You see, to me it seems as though the artists, the scientists, the philosophers were grinding lenses. It’s all a grand preparation for something that never comes off. Someday the lens is going to be perfect and then we’re all going to see clearly, see what a staggering, beautiful world it is…”
― Henry Miller
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2019 11:41 pm
We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It's a death trap.

Anthony Hopkins
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2019 04:43 pm
@coluber2001,
At least, thinking proves we're still amongst the living.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2019 01:53 pm
"Treason is a strong word, but not too strong to characterize the situation in which the Senate is the eager, resourceful, and indefatigable agent of interests as hostile to the American people as any invading army could be." -David Graham Phillips, 1867-1911
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 02:20 pm
“An old Russian proverb . . . "Where hangs the smoke of hate burns a fiercer fire called fear."
The trick . . . was to keep that fire alive, but to know at the same time it might consume you also. Then the trick was to make the fear invisible in the smokes of hatred. Having accomplished that, you would own men's souls and your power would be absolute, so long as you never allowed men to see that their hate was but fear, and so long as you, afraid, knowing it, hence more shrewd and cautious than the rest, did not become a corpse at the hands of the hating fearful.
There, in a nutshell, was the recipe for dictatorship. Over the proletariat. Over the godly believers. Over the heathen. Over all men, even those who imagined they were free and yet could be made to hate.
Frighten; then furnish the whipping boys. Then seize.”
― Philip Wylie, The Answer: A Fable for Our Times
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2019 03:34 pm
“These people who expect to be saints in heaven, though they were not on Earth, have ignored the wisdom of the founders of the great religions. This wisdom is that the kingdom of heaven is within you and that you do not go to heaven unless you are already in it. The magic must be wrought by you and you alone. God has no fairy wand to tap the pig and turn it into a swan.

People ignore this. And those who believe in sinners burning in hell are, perhaps, not so much concerned with going to heaven as with being sure that sinners-–others-–roast forever in the flames.”
― phillip jose farmer
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2019 04:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
I just ignore the fears and rewards of religion. The christian god came too late in human history. Religion has not impacted any race or culture in any way discernible.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2019 08:48 am
Where I am, I don't know, I'll never know, in the silence you don't know, you must go on, I can't go on, I'll go on.
Samuel Beckett
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:05 am
"If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."

Viv Stanshall as Sir Henry Rawlinson.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 11:20 am
If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck
I'd dive to the bottom and never come up -
song "Rye Whiskey"