161

Your Quote of the Day

coluber2001

2  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 10:45 am
"I am not apt to follow blindly the lead of other men. I have steadily endeavoured to keep my mind free."
--- Charles Darwin

It paid off. He started a revolution that freed the mind of man from the slavery of belief in a supernatural.

1  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 05:10 pm
@coluber2001,
Not for everyone, because many still believe in creationism.

1  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 06:54 pm
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy

coluber2001

1  
Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2019 07:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, but before Darwin most everybody believed in the supernatural origin of the natural world. His Discovery, with Wallace, was not only revolutionary, but brave.

1  
Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 01:30 pm
"It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps."
— Martin Luther King Jr.

coluber2001

1  
Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 02:35 pm
"...it’s clear that the key to his appeal [Trump] is not his policy positions, which are all over the map. No, it’s all about his personality, and the paradox is that the more unpleasant his personality is revealed to be, the greater his appeal to his core group of supporters."

Robert Tracinski

3  
Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 12:19 pm
"I've done a lot of things I ain't proud of. And the things I am proud of are disgusting."

Mo Sizlak.

I've just finished writing my play at that sprung to mind.

1  
Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 10:25 pm
I believe and I say it is true Democratic feeling, that all the measures of the Government are directed to the purpose of making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

William Henry Harrison

1  
Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2019 10:26 pm
izzythepush wrote:

Mo Sizlak.

I've never seriously worked on a play.

1  
Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 12:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I needed to do something different after my second novel. Those were both written in 1st person with a psychotic protagonist.

This is a parody of a pantomime, one filthy joke after another. There are some who would find it disgusting, but hopefully a lot more will find it funny.

What have you got planned for wrimo?

Plays are a lot shorter than novels. My play is about 20K words long, my last novel 200K.

Doesn't make it easier though, a lot of time is spent coming up with gags, and some days are easier than others.

1  
Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 04:36 am
I am already at work on a western novel. It needs lots more words, so I will use it. I need to get it out of my hair so that I can get back to polishing a science fantasy for young adults.

1  
Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
My two novels have the same protagonist, I think urban gothic is the genre, but they have elements of horror and Raymond Chandler with lots of black comedy.

1  
Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:54 am
I like mixed genres in some of the books I've read.

1  
Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2019 10:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Unfortunately publishers aren't too keen.

Olivier5

1  
Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 09:29 am
Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
― Ronald Wright

1  
Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 01:10 pm
Borrow money from pessimists-they don’t expect it back.
Steven Wright

1  
Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2019 10:02 pm
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

2  
Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2019 07:33 am
“The question is frequently asked: Why does a man become a drug addict?
The answer is that he usually does not intend to become an addict. You don’t wake up one morning and decide to be a drug addict. It takes at least three months’ shooting twice a day to get any habit at all. And you don’t really know what junk sickness is until you have had several habits. It took me almost six months to get my first habit, and then the withdrawal symptoms were mild. I think it no exaggeration to say it takes about a year and several hundred injections to make an addict.
The questions, of course, could be asked: Why did you ever try narcotics? Why did you continue using it long enough to become an addict? You become a narcotics addict because you do not have strong motivations in the other direction. Junk wins by default. I tried it as a matter of curiosity. I drifted along taking shots when I could score. I ended up hooked. Most addicts I have talked to report a similar experience. They did not start using drugs for any reason they can remember. They just drifted along until they got hooked. If you have never been addicted, you can have no clear idea what it means to need junk with the addict’s special need. You don’t decide to be an addict. One morning you wake up sick and you’re an addict. (Junky, Prologue, p. xxxviii)”
― William S. Burroughs, Junky

1  
Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 06:46 am
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.
Steven Wright

1  
Reply Thu 17 Oct, 2019 05:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's essentially the reason I never cared for the Army, and instead, enlisted into the US Air Force. We didn't do the direct killing, and not one of the nukes I loaded onto aircraft was ever used. We wondered, because we did have "red alerts" quite often. We had to be ready 24/7.