Your Quote of the Day

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 01:09 pm
@Germlat,
Not anywhere close to the USA. And Germany paid for its war crimes. Don't you think the USA should too?
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 01:16 pm
@JTT,
Shouldn't every industrialized country pay? ...must we pay for the sins of our forefathers? Must we simply try to adapt and incorporate others? All good questions for the ages. As a person of German descent, I say say thank goodness I didn't hold the burden.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 01:54 pm
@Germlat,
Let's do focus, Germlat.

The procedure, pretty much established and enunciated by the USA holds that those in high office, the instigators, pay first.

Every president since Truman has been a war criminal and terrorist. Can you point me to any that have hung, as some of the German high command did?
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:36 pm
@JTT,
"Potter is jealous of the potter, and craftsman of the craftsman; and the poor have a grudge against the poor, and the poet against the poet."
Hesiod
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Yer still smarting over his Jane Austin comments. Look up the publication of Jane Austin. Twain was not the only writer disdainful of her book when it was introduced.

He would be ed after she picked apart in great detail the marrying money system. It does involve, as you might imagine, in the direction here being discussed, that coarse and cynical cliche about them all being the same with a bag over their heads.

The idea that I would "smart" over what a carpet-bagger like Twain said about Jane Austen is very fanciful. It must have been quite amusing to have read what he said in view of the fact that Jane's detailed and elaborate exposure of the nature of the female psyche, after it having being taught to read and write to a passable degree, would not coincide with his attitude towards it, which I politely alluded to above, and which he was scribbling away to pass on to his eager young readers so that, like him, they would be confused as to how to deal with the ladies. Which, obviously, leads them to ignominious defeat at the tender little hands which, as everybody knows rocks the cradles. Twain couldn't afford to allow himself to entertain any such notions, not for long at least, and indulged a fancy that the female psyche had changed with its transplanting to the USA from what it was in Jane's England and was now "under control".

An idea a rocking-horse would laugh at.

I dare say Jane herself might have guffawed and muttered under her breath "lambs to the slaughter".

Jane challenged his authenticity and his nerve. And, while she was sympathetic to the woman who married for money she was contemptuous of men who did. She had her one and only love snatched from her grasp by the ambition of his family which claimed it was her ambitions they were intent on thwarting.

There is a literary and artistic abyss here. Didn't Mailer break her neck and spend the rest of the book bounding free in an up-to-date version of that fine and long-standing tradition of second-rate fiction with all that jazz about riding off into the sunset. In the good stuff the hero is a goner. As with Jesus.

And I don't need any "writers" to tell me what is worth spending my time reading. I can tell with any page. Often just a paragraph. People have no idea how many great books have been stolen from them by a bunch of jumped up city critics of the limp wrist variety which always has on public appearances to be wearing something new and unlike anything that was ever worn before.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 03:55 pm
@Germlat,
That's your idea of focus, Germlat. That's an example of the great latitude of thinking you have found in the USA?

Have you noticed how few are the Americans who share your love of a wide latitude in thinking when it comes to any uncomfortable ideas?
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:06 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Have you noticed how few are the Americans who share your love of a wide latitude in thinking when it comes to any uncomfortable ideas?

I must say it jumped out on me like a jack-in-a-box shortly after I joined A2K.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:08 pm
@spendius,
Start a thread..see how it goes. JTT as well.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@Germlat,
You start a thread. .see how it goes.
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:12 pm
@spendius,
Your the one with the strong interest in bashing an entire country
anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:12 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You start a thread. .see how it goes.

I have started many. Personally I feel they went fine.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:14 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:

I do feel I've bashed many threads unintentionally.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:22 pm
@Germlat,
You seem to have been infected with a bad case of wide latitude in thinking, Germlat.

Did you perhaps catch it from some PMs you've recently received?
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:27 pm
@JTT,
Jealous?
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:29 pm
@Germlat,
Quote:

I have no inclination to bash the USA and, If I had, I haven't the time, and if I had both, I haven't the talent to bash it better than it has been bashed on many occasions. I couldn't come close.

Veblen said it was by way of being something of a psychiatrical ward.

I was weaned on American movies and Readers Digest.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:31 pm
@Germlat,
Come on, Germlat, be honest. How many PMs did you get and from which wide latitude thinkers? Did they threaten you or just call to ask how your kids were doing in school?
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:31 pm
@spendius,
Your posts tell me differently.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:36 pm
@Germlat,
This would be that much vaunted wide latitude in thinking, would it, Germlat?

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:40 pm
@Germlat,
It is hard to reach Americans regarding America. It’s not a place so much as a mindset. For myself, I got out of that mindset quite by accident, but it also took some effort. When confronted by contradictions that made me uncomfortable, I did not stuff them away and ignore them.

-- Mark Tokarski
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm
@JTT,
Wide latitude simply means having a choice amongst many...By the way I'm not American...but I'm getting an idea of what it must be like today. It sucks to be envied!! But..that's always the case for the man on top.