Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 06:59 am
When two persons are married, they can mutually share everything. There is no shame or moral failure to do so.
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 07:50 am
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
James A. Michener
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:15 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Look ed. When Twain wrote that the vast majority of American could not afford to travel. Large numbers can't afford it today. Are they "vegetating"?

Is he saying that they are all prejudiced, narrow-minded bigots and that only experienced travelers, like himself, can acquire charitable views. Why would anybody want to have a charitable view of things anyway.

And the whole quote is just a series of assertions with no evidence. I can imagine him in the barber's chair being prettied up and sounding off.

Twain's wife rejected his first proposal and her father opposed the marriage for what I assume were pretty obvious reasons.

He couldn't write in the accepted sense at all. All he did is pander to that "are we not all jolly jack-the-lads?" streak which is often found in the common run of things. A giant ego counter-jumping.

I have read wodges of his outpourings with the view that there must be something interesting in them for him to be so famous. Not one benefit of the doubt did I deny him.

Not one single thing could I find. A complete waste of time.

Salinger disappeared into a small village. Proust into one bedroom.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:16 am
I didn't notice him calling everybody those things. He merely points out that these types could benefit with broadening their horizons.
spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:20 am
@edgarblythe,
Yer what? "Fatal" is not merely pointing ed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Most gentlemen travelers in those days, especially those whose wife's father had provided the funds, came home with a dose. From the little I know of such things I imagine such an experience is indeed fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness and a help in acquiring a broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things. It was often literally fatal.

I would bet Jane Austen never used the word "fatal" in any other context than a death. Maybe not even then. It's not only incorrect as Twain uses it but sloppy. A shortcut. And an insult to readers. It's a gigantic solecism. Big enough to cause any book with it in to be flung into the corner forthwith by well read folks. It's inhuman which I suppose is consistent with ego giganticism.

When revision, proof reading and galleys have let it slip through one knows how miserly the effort was.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:04 am
Yer still smarting over his Jane Austin comments. Look up the publication of Jane Austin. Twain was not the only writer disdainful of her book when it was introduced.
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Travel surely helps a lot, Ed, but so does honestly addressing factual descriptions of events that are difficult to face.

Do you think you and your fellow A2Kers have been better than, say, Spendius at addressing the tough issues?

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
Bear reminded everyone about non sequiturs.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:52 am
@Germlat,
Quote:
"Prejudice is a raft unto which the shipwrecked mind clambers and paddles to safety."
Ben Hecht

"Country Song"/Well I can't stand to look at you now/This revelation's out of my hands/Still I can't bear the thought of you now/This complication's leaving me scared/Stay when you think you want me/Pray when you need advice/Hey keep your sickness off me trying to get throughBlame all your weakness on meShame that I'm so contriteHey keep your fingers off me, why can't I get through?You think you have the best of intentionsI cannot shake the taste of blood in my mouth[Chorus](Hey) I keep on thinking that it's(Hey) all done and all over now (whoa)You keep on thinking you can save me, save me(Hey) My ship is sinking but it's(Hey) all good and I can go down (whoa)You've got me thinking that the party's all overWell I can't stand to be with myselfThis liberation's seemingly rareAnd I can't stand the taste of your mouthThis sublimation's out of my handsYou stay 'cause you think you want mePray when you need adviceHey keep your sickness off me (I'm trying to get through)Shame you can't take this from meBane on the empty mindHey keep your fingers off me, why can't I get through?[Chorus](Hey) I keep on thinking that it's(Hey) all done and all over now (whoa)You keep on thinking you can save me, save me(Hey) My ship is sinking but it's(Hey) all good and I can go down (whoa)You've got me thinking that the party's all overLay downJust stay downLay down because I am trying to get through[Bridge]Say what you want but you're not gonna win this timeTake what you want, but just leave me alive [x2][Chorus](Hey) I keep on thinking that it's(Hey) all done and all over now (whoa)You keep on thinking you can save me, save me(Hey) My ship is sinking but it's(Hey) all good and I can go down (whoa)Still you believe that we can start it all overLay downJust stay downLay down because the party's all overLay downJust stay downLay down because I am trying to get through
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:12 pm
@JTT,
The devil's advocate role is an interesting point always...except for when you fail in visualizing the plank in your own eye...then it becomes ridiculous.
anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:16 pm
@Germlat,
"I am a rediculous individual."
- Anonymous
Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:18 pm
@anonymously99,
Don't say that..you're simply having a growth spurt..it will all change when you turn 18 (maybe)
anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:32 pm
@Germlat,
Shocked
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:42 pm
@Germlat,
Are you suggesting that I am responsible for poisoning millions of Vietnamese, afghan and Iraqi children, Germlat? That I am responsible for carpet bombing 3 million Vietnamese, 3/4 of a million Cambodians, who knows how many Laotians?

That I am responsible for training and supporting the Contras in doing this:

"I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to their children."

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:45 pm
@JTT,
I'm not American...but I have found a great latitude in thinking while living here. More so than in Europe or Latin America..and BTW find an industrialized nation who wasn't culpable of atrocities.
anonymously99

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:46 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Are you suggesting that I am responsible for poisoning millions of Vietnamese, afghan and Iraqi children, Germlat? That I am responsible for carpet bombing 3 million Vietnamese, 3/4 of a million Cambodians, who knows how many Laotians?
That I am responsible for training and supporting the Contras in doing this:"I don't mean to abuse you with verbal violence, but you have to understand what your government and its agents are doing. They go into villages, they haul out families. With the children forced to watch they castrate the father, they peel the skin off his face, they put a grenade in his mouth and pull the pin. With the children forced to watch they gang-rape the mother, and slash her breasts off. And sometimes for variety, they make the parents watch while they do these things to their children."

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:46 pm
@Germlat,
Have you heard the people of Germany make lame excuses for the war crimes of their Nazi government?
JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:49 pm
@Germlat,
You call the widespread denial of voluminous fact "a great latitude in thinking".
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 12:49 pm
@JTT,
Having German ancestry myself..actually I have.