Your Quote of the Day

vonny

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:51 pm
“The key to a good life is this: If you're not going to talk about something during the last hour of your life, then don't make it a top priority during your lifetime.”
― Richard Carlson
vonny

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:52 pm
“If, however, you take a moment to observe how you actually feel immediately after you criticise someone, you'll notice that you will feel a little deflated and ashamed, almost like you're the one who has been attacked. The reason this is true is that when we criticise, it's a statement to the world and to ourselves, "I have a need to be critical." This isn't something we are usually proud to admit.”
― Richard Carlson,
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@vonny,
You seem to love copouts, Vonny.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 04:21 pm
@vonny,
Those two are a bit ridiculous vonny.

There are many things that need criticising. Bikini swim-wear for example.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:30 pm
"Most comedy is based on getting a laugh at somebody else's expense. And I find that that's just a form of bullying in a major way. So I want to be an example that you can be funny and be kind, and make people laugh without hurting somebody else's feelings."
Ellen DeGeneres
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:22 am
Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.
- William J.H. Boetcker
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 04:24 am
To be rich in admiration and free from envy, to rejoice greatly in the good of others, to love with such generosity of heart that your love is still a dear possession in absence or unkindness - these are the gifts which money cannot buy.
- Robert Louis Stevenson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 06:02 am
“I stopped believing in Santa Claus when I was six. Mother took me to see him in a department store and he asked for my autograph.”
― Shirley Temple Black
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 06:06 am
“It’s not that we have to quit
this life one day, but it’s how
many things we have to quit
all at once: music, laughter,
the physics of falling leaves,
automobiles, holding hands,
the scent of rain, the concept
of subway trains... if only one
could leave this life slowly!”
― Roman Payne
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:51 am
“Well when I write my book, and tell the tale of my adventures--all these little stars that shake out of my cloak-- I must save those to use for asterisks!”
― Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac
anonymously99stwin

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 06:25 am
@edgarblythe,
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of *doubt*.

- Bertrand Russell

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 09:41 am
“Find your true path. It’s so easy to become someone we don’t want to be, without even realizing it’s happening. We are created by the choices we make every day. And if we take action in order to please some authority figure, we’ll suddenly wake up down the road and say, “This isn’t me. I never wanted to be this person.”
― Richard Carlson
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:19 am
@vonny,
We're slowly leaving from the minute we're born. That's why we need to take the time to recognize and appreciate all the good things
vonny

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 03:33 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
We're slowly leaving from the minute we're born. That's why we need to take the time to recognize and appreciate all the good things

So true!
Germlat

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 04:50 pm
@vonny,
Agree!
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 04:57 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

You got an attribution for that, Bear? Who said that (besides you, I mean)?
JTT

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:11 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I couldn't agree more, folks.

-------------

Depleted Uranium: A War Crime Within a War Crime

Destroying Iraq's Future, Its Children

By William Bowles
Global Research, March 23, 2010
Creative-i 21 March 2010
Theme: Crimes against Humanity
In-depth Report: IRAQ REPORT

As if destroying a country and its culture ain’t bad enough, how about destroying its future, its children? I want to scream it from the rooftops! We are complicit in crimes of such enormity that I find it difficult to find the words to describe how I feel about this crime committed in my name! In the name of the ‘civilized’ world?

“Forget about oil, occupation, terrorism or even Al-Qaeda. The real hazard for Iraqis these days is cancer. Cancer is spreading like wildfire in Iraq. Thousands of infants are being born with deformities. Doctors say they are struggling to cope with the rise of cancer and birth defects, especially in cities subjected to heavy American and British bombardment.” — Jalal Ghazi, for New America Media

According to Dahr Jamail,

“The U.S. and British militaries used more than 1,700 tons of depleted uranium in Iraq in the 2003 invasion (Jane’s Defence News, 4/2/04)-on top of 320 tons used in the 1991 Gulf War (Inter Press Service, 3/25/03). Literally every local person I’ve ever spoken with in Iraq during my nine months of reporting there knows someone who either suffers from or has died of cancer.

Ghazi reported that in Fallujah, which bore the brunt of two massive U.S. military operations in 2004, as many as 25 percent of newborn infants have serious physical abnormalities. Cancer rates in Babil, an area south of Baghdad, have risen from 500 cases in 2004 to more than 9,000 in 2009. Dr. Jawad al-Ali, the director of the Oncology Center in Basra, told Al Jazeera English (10/12/09) that there were 1,885 cases of cancer in all of 2005; between 1,250 and 1,500 patients visit his center every month now. — ‘The New ‘Forgotten’ War’ By Dahr Jamail, 15 March, 2010

Even the BBC was forced to acknowledge the reality (Listen:‘Child deformities ‘increasing’ in Falluja’ 4 March, 2010). True to form I searched the BBC Website in vain for the video clip I watched last week, so you are spared the horrific scenes I witnessed, recorded in Fallujah’s main hospital. Had this been Saddam’s legacy, we would have seen images like the one above endlessly repeated in the mass media, complete with UN resolutions and the like.

The short piece posted on the BBC Website ends thus:

“In a statement, the Pentagon said that “No studies to date have indicated environmental issues resulting in specific health issues. Unexploded ordinance, including improvised explosive devises, are a recognised hazard.”"

http://www.globalresearch.ca/depleted-uranium-a-war-crime-within-a-war-crime/18278

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
no one else I know of. I guess it was more of a thought than a quote.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:35 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Very good thought, then.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 05:47 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
We're slowly leaving from the minute we're born. That's why we need to take the time to recognize and appreciate all the good things.

-------------

Does that entail shunting aside all the bad things, Bear? What if these were your children?

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/DU-Baby2003.htm