Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 03:38 pm
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
- Sir Winston Churchill
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
True love is the only heart disease that is best left to "run on"--the only affection of the heart for which there is no help, and none desired.
- Mark Twain's Notebook
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 06:33 pm
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."
- Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 08:50 pm
“I don't mean to be like some old guy from the olden days who says, "I walked thirty miles to school every morning, so you kids should too." That's a statement born of envy and resentment. What I'm saying is something quite different. What I'm saying is that by having very little, I had it good. Children need a sense of pulling their own weight, of contributing to the family in some way, and some sense of the family's interdependence. They take pride in knowing that they're contributing. They learn responsibility and discipline through meaningful work. The values developed within a family that operates on those principles then extend to the society at large. By not being quite so indulged and "protected" from reality by overflowing abundance, children see the bonds that connect them to others.”
― Sidney Poitier, The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 04:42 am
"We are all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
- Richard Dawkins
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:36 pm
“It seems as if only now I really know who I am. My strengths, my weaknesses, my jealousies—it’s as if all of it has been boiling in a pot for all these years, and as it boils, it evaporates into steam, and all that’s left in the pot in the end is your essence, the stuff you started out with in the very beginning.”
Kirk Douglas

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 04:49 am
“The first chapter sells the book; the last chapter sells the next book.”
― Mickey Spillane
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:20 am

Hypothetical daydream in an opinion article about Sarah Palin's leaning toward the 'won't she' from the "will she or won't she run for president ?"

Context first:
Quote:
For serious candidates, the point of running for president is not to say what they want – it’s to get to sit in the chair in the Oval Office and run the executive branch. Mitt Romney probably daydreams about that on his campaign plane.

Quote:
President Romney, Vice President Perry has been waiting for an hour. Should I tell him lunch is off?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/The-Vote/2011/0928/Is-Sarah-Palin-preparing-to-disappoint-her-fans
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 05:25 am
"Independence has been negatively formulated as freedom from fear, as indifference to fortune, good or bad, as the imperturbability of the thinker as mere spectator, as immunity to emotions and impulses. But the self who achieves such independence is reduced to the abstract punctuality of the ego."

-- Karl Jaspers
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 08:22 am
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
- Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2011 07:12 pm

• Are you the alternative? (response to heckler asking if she was a lesbian)

Florynce Kennedy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 06:45 am
Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.
~ Aristotle
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 10:42 am
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
- Martin Luther King Jr
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 11:43 am
“You've got to work with advanced planning on the contractor side to help the influx.”
Ed Sullivan

0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 02:44 pm
"Everything that rises must converge."
~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

(also the title of a collection of short stories by Flannery O'Connor)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 07:52 pm
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it.
Upton Sinclair
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 02:27 pm
"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."
- Oscar Wilde

"I am not young enough to know everything."
- Oscar Wilde

"It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating."
- Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:21 pm
"The desire to lead a philosophical life springs from the darkness in which the individual finds himself, from his sense of forlornness when he stares without
love into the void, from his self-forgetfulness when he feels that he is being consumed by the busy-ness of the world, when he suddenly wakes up in terror and asks himself: What am I, what am I faihng to do, what should I do?"

-- Karl Jaspers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 04:50 pm
“If men only felt about death as they do about sleep, all terrors would cease. . . Men sleep contentedly, assured that they will wake the following morning. They should feel the same about their lives.”
― Richard Matheson, What Dreams May Come
wandeljw

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 06:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Richard Matheson's accomplishments as a writer are truly awesome, edgar. (I Am Legend, Somewhere in Time, Legend of Hell House, What Dreams May Come, as well as teleplays for Twilight Zone and Star Trek)