Your Quote of the Day

spendius

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 09:10 am
@spendius,
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."

Jane Austen. Letters.
vonny

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:02 pm
@spendius,
“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
vonny

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:04 pm
@vonny,
I try to live my life where I end up at a point where I have no regrets. So I try to choose the road that I have the most passion on because then you can never really blame yourself for making the wrong choices. You can always say you're following your passion.
- Darren Aronofsky
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:08 pm
The pattern of the prodigal is: rebellion, ruin, repentance, reconciliation, restoration.
Edwin Louis Cole
vonny

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:20 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
You should try saying that like me - webellion, wuin, weconciliation, westoration ... Laughing
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 03:40 pm
@vonny,
Don't be widiculous you wapscallion. Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:27 pm
“This is the story of America. Everybody's doing what they think they're supposed to do.”
― Jack Kerouac, On the Road: The Original Scroll
JTT

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“This is the story of America. Everybody's doing what they think they're supposed to do.”

This is especially true as regards US government propaganda, Ed.

"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."

H. L. Mencken
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:37 pm
"If you have no enemies, you are apt to be in the same predicament in regard to friends."
--Elbert Hubbard
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:11 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Quote:
Don't be widiculous you wapscallion.

This wapscallion's not being widiculous - you should here me!!! Laughing Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
vonny

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:13 am
@vonny,
I mean HEAR me!!! Oops Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:24 am
@JTT,
Quote:
"The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."

That is because the truth is so hard to bear and so painful to live with. Mr Mencken was simply doing a number on the word "truth". Claiming it as his own and pinning it on his chest for our admiration.

"If you printed the truth you would go off the (news) stands in a day."

"The truth is obscure, too profound and too pure, to live it you have to explode."

"There are no truths outside the Gates of Eden."

Bob Dylan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:22 am
“The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.”
― Patrick Henry
vonny

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 02:33 pm
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
- Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 02:35 pm
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.
- Aristophanes
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 02:37 pm
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.
- W. C. Fields
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
I see that you found one you like, Ed. Highly apropos of the Snowdon[sic] thread, doncha think?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 04:34 am
“We have so far to go to realize our human potential for compassion, altruism, and love.”
― Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:00 pm
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx,
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:04 pm
“You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place. That's why animals are so soft and huggy.”
― Bill Watterson,
0 Replies