Your Quote of the Day

vonny

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 02:19 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
“There's always light after the dark. You have to go through that dark place to get to it, but it's there, waiting for you. It's like riding on a train through a dark tunnel. If you get so scared you jump off in the middle of the ride, then you're there, in the tunnel, stuck in the dark. You have to ride the train all the way to the end of the ride.”
― Han Nolan,
spendius

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 03:22 pm
@vonny,
"Its being so cheerful as keeps me going".

Mona Lott in ITMA.
vonny

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 02:53 am
@spendius,
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”
― Cassandra Clare
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 04:53 am
“If you were Queen of pleasure
And I were King of pain
We'd hunt down Love together,
Pluck out his flying-feather,
And teach his feet a measure,
And find his mouth a rein;
If you were Queen of pleasure
And I were King of pain.”
― Algernon Charles Swinburne
spendius

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 06:03 am
@edgarblythe,
You don't want to go there ed.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 06:10 am
@vonny,
Quote:
“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”
― Cassandra Clare

A claim to be not imaginatively bankrupt I suppose. Has she a red line between sarcasm and irony. It would be a disaster if irony was to be the last refuge of the even more imaginatively bankrupt. There wouldn't be a decent book left in the libraries.

"There is nothing more beautiful than sarcasm. That is definitely an overstatement but it should balance the moronic comment which says that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor. Now, whoever made that statement was desperately in need of a rectal broomstick extraction procedure."

The Sarcasm Society.
spendius

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 08:55 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Sarcasm usually requires a quick wit, and the ability to extract the minutest points of weakness in a conversation. So it is quite unlikely that it is the lowest form of humor as some would like to call it. Perhaps not being able to enjoy sarcasm is directly related to not having the ability to come up with sarcastic comments, which in turn creates a feeling of inadequacy, which in turn can spawn a Napoleon complex, that can cause someone to logicise that sarcasm is the humor of the stupid.

The Sarcasm Society.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 10:09 am
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.”
― Ernest Hemingway, Ernest Hemingway: A Literary Reference
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 01:22 am
@spendius,
I'm with you on that mate, it's not sarcasm, but puns that are the lowest form of wit, by a mile.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 04:32 am
“The rewards for being sane may not be very many, but knowing what's funny is one of them.”
― Kingsley Amis
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 07:08 am
@edgarblythe,
That's class ed.

It's a bit like that one I quoted from Darwin's son about Jane Austen's books.

The rewards for having a bad memory may not be very many, but being able to enjoy reading Jane Austen many times is one of them.
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 07:11 am
@spendius,
Have you read much of Kingsley Amis ed? You should. Stanley and the Women is a hoot.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 07:47 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/jimmycarter_zpsf8b5f9a3.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 12:00 pm

"Classic." A book which people praise and don't read.

MARK TWAIN, Following the Equator
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 01:28 pm
@izzythepush,
“Puns are generally counted as the lowest form of wit, perhaps because they are cheaper and can be formed with the least effort.”
- Sigmund Freud
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 01:36 pm
@spendius,
A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can be cured only by the honesty of humility.
- Lawrence G. Lovasik
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 02:57 pm
@vonny,
"Humility is the best way to get **** on."

spendius. In Between The Sunshine.
vonny

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 03:03 pm
@spendius,
"Many people believe that humility is the opposite of pride, when, in fact, it is a point of equilibrium. The opposite of pride is actually a lack of self esteem. A humble person is totally different from a person who cannot recognize and appreciate himself as part of this worlds marvels."
— Rabino Nilton Bonder
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 03:19 pm
@vonny,
"Humility is not the opposite of pride any more than that courage is the opposite of cowardice. Recklessness is the opposite of cowardice. Courage is the 'golden mean' as Aristotle would have it. Likewise humility is the 'golden mean' between pride and an abject lack of self-esteem."
anonymous (for now)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 03:20 pm
@vonny,
Humility can be aggressive. I assume Mr Bonder is making a back-handed claim to be a person who can recognize and appreciate himself as part of this worlds marvels. Good for him. What does it mean?