Your Quote of the Day

vonny

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:48 pm
“Pain is a pesky part of being human, I've learned it feels like a stab wound to the heart, something I wish we could all do without, in our lives here. Pain is a sudden hurt that can't be escaped. But then I have also learned that because of pain, I can feel the beauty, tenderness, and freedom of healing. Pain feels like a fast stab wound to the heart. But then healing feels like the wind against your face when you are spreading your wings and flying through the air! We may not have wings growing out of our backs, but healing is the closest thing that will give us that wind against our faces.”
― C. JoyBell C.
spendius

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 02:56 pm
@vonny,
"Eyes right!!!"

An NCO marching a platoon of raw recruits approaching the section of road where the WAAC's washing lines are too the left.
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 04:03 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
An NCO marching a platoon of raw recruits approaching the section of road where the WAAC's washing lines are too the left.

A Freudian slip there, Spendi?
spendius

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:02 pm
@JTT,
Not at all.
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:06 pm
@spendius,
You don't even realize it so it's gotta be.
spendius

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:17 pm
@JTT,
No. I used "too" because the NCO considered the washing lines too the left.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 07:35 pm
“The important thing is moral choice. Evil has to exist along with good, in order that moral choice may operate. Life is sustained by the grinding opposition of moral entities.”
― Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:18 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
No. I used "too" because the NCO considered the washing lines too the left.

Then you picked the wrong 'too'.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:37 pm
“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:33 pm
“He stood there for a moment looking around the silent room, shaking his head slowly. All these books, he thought, the residue of a planet’s intellect, the scrapings of futile minds, the leftovers, the potpourri of artifacts that had no power to save men from perishing.”
― Richard Matheson, I Am Legend
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:52 pm
The strongest force in the universe is a human being living consistently with his identity.
--Tony Robbins
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:53 am
"I do not intend to defend capitalism or capitalists. They, like everything human, have their defects. I only say their possibilities of usefulness are not ended.

Capitalism has borne the monstrous burden of the war and today still has the strength to shoulder the burdens of peace. ...

It is not simply and solely an accumulation of wealth, it is an elaboration, a selection, a co-ordination of values which is the work of centuries. ...

Many think, and I myself am one of them, that capitalism is scarcely at the beginning of its story.”
― Benito Mussolini
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 04:58 am
@edgarblythe,
"As for happiness, it has only one use; to make unhappiness possible".

Marcel Proust.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:22 am
"The more I see of the representatives of the people, the more I admire my dogs." -Alphonse de Lamartine
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1011200_473996596020397_1504638421_n.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 02:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
A twofer if you please:
Quote:
Curiosity, it seems, is largely about exploration - often at the price of momentary happiness. Curious people generally accept the notion that while being uncomfortable and vulnerable is not an easy path, it is the direct route to becoming stronger and wiser.

Albert Schweitzer wrote:

Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.

Both featured in the What Happy People Do Differently" article of the July/August 2013 issue of Psychology Today.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 03:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Another twofer, ... okay a one and a halfer. Smile

Quote:
Curiosity, it seems, is largely about exploration - often at the price of momentary happiness. Curious people generally accept the notion that while being uncomfortable and vulnerable is not an easy path, it is the direct route to becoming stronger and wiser.

Curiosity dies at light speed when the issue is US terrorism and US war crimes.
0 Replies

warrenmosby

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 11:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Interesting! It has a very deep meaning.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 03:29 am
Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
- Groucho Marx
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 04:28 am
“Albert made of solid alligator—he heavy.”
― Walt Kelly, Pogo: The Complete Syndicated Comic Strips, Vol. 1: Through the Wild Blue Wonder
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Jun, 2013 01:57 pm
What we anticipate seldom occurs, but what we least expect generally happens.
--Benjamin Disraeli