what's the meaning of the following two sentences?

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 01:02 am
Provide replacement trees 6-inch (150-mm) caliper size of the same species to equal the caliper inches of the removed tree.

Drill 2-inch- (50-mm-) diameter holes a minimum of 12 inches (300 mm) deep at 24 inches (600 mm) o.c.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 01:21 am
@kkfengdao,
Provide replacement trees 6-inch (150-mm) caliper size of the same species to equal the caliper inches of the removed tree.

Replace the old trees with the same species (type) as the old. The replacements are to have a diameter of 6 inches (150 mm). For your information, it is much more common to specify diameter than caliper inches. In fact, I've never actually heard diameter expressed in caliper inches.

Drill 2-inch- (50-mm-) diameter holes a minimum of 12 inches (300 mm) deep at 24 inches (600 mm) o.c.

Drill 2 inch holes to a depth of 12 inches (300 mm) to a depth of 24 inches. The number of holes is not specified. The "o.c." might mean "on center", but that is only a guess
Fido

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 06:44 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Replace the old trees with the same species (type) as the old. The replacements are to have a diameter of 6 inches (150 mm). For your information, it is much more common to specify diameter than caliper inches. In fact, I've never actually heard diameter expressed in caliper inches.

Drill 2 inch holes to a depth of 12 inches (300 mm) to a depth of 24 inches. The number of holes is not specified. The "o.c." might mean "on center", but that is only a guess
This last explanation is incorrect... They are two inch wide holes twelve inches deep on two foot centers....
kkfengdao

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 07:07 pm
@Fido,
what's the meaning of "on two foot centers"?
roger

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 07:48 pm
@kkfengdao,
The centers of two adjacent holes are two feet apart.

You can measure hole spacings by center-to-center distance, left edge to left edge, or right edge to right edge if the holes are all the same size. Center to center is maybe better because it works with all hole sizes.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2011 08:52 pm
@kkfengdao,
kkfengdao wrote:

what's the meaning of "on two foot centers"?
Roger explains it below your question... In the states we still use feet and inches, and there has been little effort to change our behavior... About everything we buy is made in Metric Land, so we have to buy and keep extra tools for that purpose... Even our famous Harley Davidson are made abroad and assembled here with American Standared bolt...
0 Replies

kkfengdao

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 12:44 am
Thanks!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 02:33 am
I'm not sure what they;re boring those holes in, but I sure hope it's not the 6 inch trees. A two inch diameter hole would kill a six inch tree. And how you'd get a 12 inch deep hole in a 6 inch tree is beyond me.
McTag

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 03:48 am
@MontereyJack,

I suspect the purpose of the holes is to kill the tree- possibly with the aid of some chemical agent.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 04:23 am
Yeah, I think I misread that second sentence in more ways than one. I was thinking the holes were in the ground for the replacement trees, but plugging a 6" diameter tree into a 2" hole would be bound to end in frustration. Maybe the sentences are not related.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:11 pm
ohmigawd, Harleys are made overseas now? and just assembled here? another dream shattered on the ground.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 09:52 pm
@MontereyJack,
They used to be made here on a nice Japanese installed production line. That's from years ago and maybe means they have just been assembled here for decades.
0 Replies