About = Against?

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:53 pm
Context:

Since the capture of Saddam Hussein on Dec. 13, attacks on Iraqis and occupation soldiers have continued with deadly efficacy. The American military and civilian leadership maintains, however, that the arrest of Mr. Hussein has prompted larger numbers of Iraqis to provide more accurate intelligence about the insurgency.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 12:15 am
No - about here means in the sense of: of, in regard to, concerning.

It is the same use of about as: This is a story about three little kittens and their mother.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 12:51 am
Hi dlown,

I meant if the intelligence is used against the insurgency. Not that I really thought "about = against".

Which one is right? (1) or (2) ?

(1) the arrest of Mr. Hussein has prompted larger numbers of Iraqis to provide more accurate intelligence about the insurgency, and the intelligence helped and helps American troops subdue the insurgents.

(2) the arrest of Mr. Hussein has prompted larger numbers of Iraqis to provide more accurate intelligence about the insurgency. and the intelligence helped and helps the insurgents attack American troops.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 12:53 am
Right, and this - surprisingly - not only downunder, but elsewhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:01 am
yOh - well, yes, the intelligence about the insurgency will be used by the Americans to fight against it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:03 am
The first, Oristar - number 1 - if the American accounts are to be believed!

It may just be propaganda....
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:06 am
Thanks Walter,

Does the downunder mean colloquialism "Australia or News Zealand"?

Also thank dlowan. Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 01:24 am
Yes, for all of us up right persons, at least :wink:
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:09 am
The example does not explicitly say that the information will be used against the insurgents. It is clear that the information is being provided to the U.S., and we can understand that it (the information) will be used against the insurgents, but this is not stated in the original paragraph.

The attacks mentioned in the example are by the insurgents, against Iraqis and U.S. (occupation) soldiers, HOWEVER, the U.S. is obtaining better intelligence.

Clear?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:51 am
Thank you Wy.

Yes, clear now. Because "however" means "in spite of that; nevertheless", so it is the US leadership who has been getting the intelligence from Iraqis. I should be aware of this. Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:40 pm
Happy to help. It's very easy, as you are discovering, to write very confusing English sentences!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
Wy wrote:
Happy to help. It's very easy, as you are discovering, to write very confusing English sentences!

You never heard or read my German! Laughing
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:44 pm
No worries, Walter, I'd be confused! Smile

(It's all Greek to me...)
0 Replies