The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

Coin-Toss

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 01:06 pm
So here's what I came up with this week... Den, Oak, Mia, Jax, Bal, Car, GB, Was, AZ, StL, Atl, Chi, NYG, KC.

This week's been decent, though I got into a pretty heated argument with my father, who thinks I don't put enough thought into the decisions I make. He thinks I live life based on whims, and that this will ultimately lead me to poverty. Honestly though, I don't care one way or the other how he feels; it's neither heads nor tails to me.

In other news, I watched scantily clad zombie-women doing battle in a jello pit, and can say without a doubt that it was the best moment in my life...
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 02:09 pm
@Coin-Toss,
Quote:
In other news, I watched scantily clad zombie-women doing battle in a jello pit, and can say without a doubt that it was the best moment in my life...

In which case John you are already in poverty.

Your father is probably right. My largest business loss by far was the result of acting upon a whim.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 02:29 pm
@spendius,
Disclaimer: Please be advised that the last CoinToss post was NOT written or submitted by me! I know who CT is this week, but I had no involvement in what was written, Spendius.
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 02:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
What made you think I might have thought otherwise?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2011 02:59 pm
This hurts me as much as it does you but next week (#12) we not only have a full plate of 16 games but Thursday is Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Canada. It is a day, a weekend or even a week where many people travel a lot of miles and eat and drink too much. So...

Week #13 Schedule - with 3 games on Thursday beginning at 1 pm ET-
Green Bay @ Detroit
Miami @ Dallas
San Francisco @ Baltimore
Sunday early-
Buffalo @ NY Jets
Cleveland @ Cincinnati
Minnesota @ Atlanta
Houston @ Jacksonville
Arizona @ St Louis
Carolina @ Indianapolis
Tampa Bay @ Tennessee
Sunday late-
Washington @ Seattle
Chicago @ Oakland
New England @ Philadelphia
Denver @ San Diego
Sunday night-
Pittsburgh @ Kansas City
Monday night-
NY Giants @ New Orleans (+ final score)

Please consider posting early if your schedule might put you in jeopardy of forgetting. I have already heard from McGentrix.
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:50 am
Last Sunday there was a strong wind blowing in one of the games I saw. At one kick-off the ball was blown off the device which holds it upright. The player handed the ball to the referee who handed it back to him and he replaced it on the whaddyacallit. It blew off again and again he handed the ball to the ref. who then handed it back to him and he replaced it.

I understand that this must be a rule but what skullduggery is the rule designed to prevent?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:16 am
@spendius,
I don't know about that rule, but I thought if the ball is blown off the tee, it can be replaced one time, but if it falls off again it must be held in place by a teammate.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:22 am
@Ticomaya,
The game clock doesn't start until the ball is kicked. I suspect that the kicking team only has a limited amount of time to do so from when the ref turns the ball over.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:23 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
Thursday is Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Canada.

uh no

Thanksgiving in Canada was in October. It's a whole different creature.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:37 am
@realjohnboy,

i believe they use special balls for kick-offs and punts.

on windy days, a teamate will often hold the ball with one finger, charlie brown style...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2CgGw5bfhoc/TkdGPbE4_7I/AAAAAAAAASQ/NiFStndiA3I/s1600/Charlie+Brown.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:56 am
@realjohnboy,
That will be it John. A game clock thing.

Does a play continue after time as long as it begins before time?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 11:52 am
@spendius,
Yes.
So it is almost game time. I checked out the weather forecasts for the home teams' today. Looking good. Moderate temps, partly cloudy skies for the most part.
I forget which are the domed places.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
after giving up an easy layup in the 4th quarter, Miami takes Buffalo 35-8...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:52 pm
The early games end with an overtime win by the the Cowboys over the Redskins. Eight games played so far out of 14.
It appears to me (cough, ahem) that Johnboy is a perfect 8-0. Fbaezer and Cowdoc are at 7-1.
AndyClubber is at the bottom: 4-4.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
NFL to Earl Bennett: You wear orange shoes, you get thrown out

"The NFL told me they called the Bears this week and told them this: if Bennett wears the shoes today during the game, he will be fined a minimum of $15,000," Casserly said on The NFL Today. "But more importantly, he will be removed from the game and he will not be allowed to go back into the game until he has the proper footwear on."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-to-Earl-Bennett-You-wear-orange-shoes-you-;_ylt=AlFdGcH4dzpRLP8Iwak3BdtDubYF?urn=nfl-wp12127
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
You're a genius so far.. not entirely kidding.
On the bit about the domes, I used to follow that somewhat, but how soon I forget. I also don't remember how predictive a dome on site was, one way or another. It affects passing more, I suppose, which would then depend on the teams in question.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 03:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Saw that - I am guessing that the orange shoes aren't all that swell for a player's feet on the fiekd, but maybe it's just about obeying regulation...
Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
I am guessing it's about shoe contract licenses and money...
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 04:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Quote:
It appears to me (cough, ahem) that Johnboy is a perfect 8-0.

Dang and blast!! I'll go t't bottom of our stairs.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm
@Rockhead,
Ah ha. Light dawns.
0 Replies