The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:55 pm
@Ragman,
The Texans have more improving to do, but it is obvious they are much better than other seasons - Hope they don't fall apart after I write this.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:56 pm
Blimey--that Bears TD eh. The tight end evaded three tackles all of which he wouldn't have done in our rugby and then the tackle that got him down was in the EZ and too late. But it looked good I must admit.

Are we having our legs pulled or what? Some of the tacking in the Eagles game was woeful.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Well, SF 9'rs won despite my doubts - let me tip a glass of irish coffee from the BV (Buena Vista) in their honor.

http://www.thebuenavista.com/irishcoffee.html

Hey I actually had Irish coffee there!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:50 pm
@George,
Me too, once. Something of a tourist spot but loved past that. Hans took me there in.. (shock) 1971.

There's a whole thing about the glasses, recently resolved, re getting the manufacturer to gear up again and make more. Big hubbaballoo in the SF Chronicle pages. Apparently the glasses' shape matters to the extreme re the perfection of the drink.
JPB

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
Tough week to be favored. I'm lucky to be at 9-5
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:58 pm
@JPB,
I have you at 8-6, JPB. Did I err?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:31 pm
By my accounting, Week #3 will come down to Wandeljw vs RealJohnBoy. Each is at 11-3 and have Pittsburgh tonight. Johnboy has the Skins tomorrow night while Wandeljw has the Cowboys. George is 10-4 and has the Steelers. He can not win the week.
CowDoc

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think I'm 8-6 as well, but it's better than the Miz!
Ragman

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 06:56 pm
@CowDoc,
Wahhh...I'm 9-5, according to my records!

I had been really eying the Raiders - NYJets game as THE one I really wanted to switch. Had I done so, it still wouldn't have helped me. My Pats let me down.

Pats ...please stay away from the Red Sox and Fenway. Drunk
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nope, you're right. I credited Arizona with a win that they didn't get.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:03 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
. . . Apparently the glasses' shape matters to the extreme re the perfection
of the drink.
Dontcha love it? I've got beer glasses in four different shapes. Each one
for a different kind of beer. I can mix and match to a fare-thee-well and
never taste the difference.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:10 pm
Hmm. I doubt the Steelers can count on going to the Superbowl, this year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 09:18 pm
@George,
I read all the reasons the glasses were so good, convincing while I read it.
That all did make some sense. Based on what I read, I could see their point.

Alas, I forget. You know me, flittering a2ker.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 04:18 am
It's scandalous that the cheer leaders are not given the sort of coverage that they very obviously deserve. In one shot at the Eagles game a player with a sore hand was shown walking past the cheer leaders who were shaking their tassles, kicking their legs and wiggling their jahangas and he never even glanced at them. The camera was trained on his ugly mug and these fine ladies were going past as if they were on a platform at a railway station.

Talk about misogyny.
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 06:54 am
@spendius,
There were four blokes in the studio during the game last night whose job it is the rabbit expertly about football and e-mails idiots have sent in whilst you are been shown adverts that go on longer than our TV companies are allowed to do.

Three of them were very wide black guys. One was a soft-looking Limey.

One of them was introduced as "Junior Head Coach" which is an odd title.

The main man took about three hours to say "Aaaaaaaaand weeeeeeeeeaal neoooow haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand baaaack toooooo the cooooooommmeeeeeeenntaaaaaaaaaaairy teeeeeam iiiiin Pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilaaaaaaadeeeelphiiiiiiiiiaaayye. You could have took a nap.

And a player was discussed, Mr Vick I think, who had had four separate bureaucracies check him out and pass him fit to play. No doubt all the individuals involved had long and imposing titles. We just had to show the coach that we could touch the end of our nose with the forefinger.

What the legal profession has achieved is mind boggling.
George

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 09:45 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
. . . What the legal profession has achieved is mind boggling.
That may turn out to be quite literally true in this case.
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:07 am
@George,
I noticed when the in running scores were going up that one team had scored 2. How does that happen?
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:15 am
@spendius,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_(American_and_Canadian_football_score)

"While safeties are generally worth two points, they are worth one point when they occur during a point-after attempt."

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:52 am
@Ragman,
Ahem! Would you mind being a bit more specific?
Ragman

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 11:55 am
@spendius,
Ahem: read the link I put from Wikipedia.

"A safety or safety touch is a type of score in American football and Canadian football and is worth two points (with one very rare exception). In American football, it is the only means by which a team not in possession of the football can score points. Analogous to an own goal in other team sports, a safety may occur in a variety of ways, most commonly when an opponent in possession of the football is tackled in his own end zone. "

Safety is how the score of 2 points is/was granted.