The Fantasy Fantasy A2K NFL Pick-Um Thread for 2011-2012

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 06:43 pm
Mysteryman stumbles.
By my preliminary count, McGentrix and EhBeth are 11-3. No one else can win.
Each of them has Green Bay (as do the rest of us). McGentrix chooses Atlanta Monday night while EhBeth is going for New Orleans.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2011 06:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:
EhBeth is going for New Orleans.

aka ehBeth is going for

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/King-Cake.jpg

Wink at last week's CT
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 01:30 am
@George,
George wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
. . . change my picks to Denver (over Baltimore), and Kansas City (over
Oakland).
You'll be soooooorrrrreeeeeee.

And, yes .... I am sorry.
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u127/lizdrury/emoticons/head-smack.gif
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 09:59 am
@realjohnboy,
Beth-- will you explain this sandwich magic for me. I know I scoffed at it but recent results have led me to wonder whether there might be something in it which I could use when backing horses.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 10:35 am
Mixing sports metaphors, we're coming out of the final turn in Week #16 and will be heading down the stretch with Week #17.
Johnboy is 1o-4 so far this week and holds onto a 6 game lead over Ragman, also at 10-4. They will finish the season in 1st and 2nd place, respectively.
Then it becomes interesting. At the moment, with 2 games remaining this week, CoastalRat (.660) has broken out of a 4-way tie for 3rd. He is also 10-4.
George (.655) slips to 4th, while Fbaezer (.653) advances from 7th to 5th. Cowdoc and Tico have fallen to 6th (.647) and are tied with EbBeth who soars from 11th, and Wandeljw and LiontamerX who started the week in 8th.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 10:41 am
@spendius,
carbs

that's what's in sandwiches

Mr. Green
spendius

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Carbs are a chemical substance Beth. The same in all sandwiches.

It's the exotic aspect I'm seeking to finesse. "Soaring" past me must have a scientific explanation.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 05:54 pm
@spendius,
The thing with food concoctions is how items blend together, while maintaining distinction. This is one of the first things I caught on to when reading a thousand stupid articles, that didn't make that clear - some blends work really well, even very simple ones - including re sandwiches. Or sammichs. Also, perhaps, re football.

Well, hey, soon another game.
spendius

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I remember when some English nitwit had come back from walking to the North Pole he was asked by the baying reporters what he was looking forward to most. He said "a cheese and tomato butty".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2011 08:48 pm
@spendius,
English food remains mysterious to me, though it is probably progenitor of our bland stuff.

Oh, wait, there is a game going on..
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 10:22 am
Good morning. It seems mighty quiet today. Very little traffic on the road outside my house. I just got back from Kroger. It was almost empty.
My stores are closed today. Oddly, all of my key employees are not traveling this weekend.
So we have just 1 week left in this pick-um game. I prepared the schedule on Saturday only to discover this morning that the NFL shuffled the starting times for 4 games; moving 3 from early to later on Sunday and 1 from early to Sunday night. There will be no games on Thursday or Monday night.
It will be a challenging week for those players here trying to move up in the standings. Some folks may decide to make some bold choices and there is always a possibility that some playoff bound teams may decide to rest or protect some key players.

WEEK #17 SCHEDULE:
Sunday, 1/1, early-
New York Jets @ Miami
Buffalo @ New England
Tennessee @ Houston
Indianapolis @ Jacksonville
Washington @ Philadelphia
Chicago @ Minnesota
Carolina @ New Orleans
San Francisco @ St Louis
Detroit @ Green Bay
Late-
Baltimore @ Cincinnati
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
Kansas City @ Denver
Seattle @ Arizona
San Diego @ Oakland
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Night-
Dallas @ New York Giants (plus score)

Coin-Toss

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:21 am
Hi/Hi. So I may go 10-6 this week which would get me to .542 for the season. LionTamerX has agreed to help me choose in Week #17.
And then we move onto JohnBoy's next game. It's all about picking a winner in the Super Bowl. I think I can win the whole thing. I probably do better in a sprint then in a marathon. Would you agree with that, Mr Spendius?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:29 am
Region has an admirer. Does Jespah know?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 11:59 am
@realjohnboy,

she sees all...
she knows all...
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 12:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
...and deletes.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 12:05 pm
@Coin-Toss,
Quote:
I probably do better in a sprint then in a marathon. Would you agree with that, Mr Spendius?

Yes. The longer the marathon the closer to .500. In a very short sprint it's a toss up between 1.000 and 0.000.

I think your game needs an evolutionary tweak.
spendius

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 12:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
she sees all...
she knows all...

That's genuine intimacy.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 12:28 pm
@Coin-Toss,
Hi, CT/CT, our ever bright eyed flipper.
I did indeed start a new thread again this year which is perhaps our 6th or 7th:

The NFL Superbowl Thread! Back Again With Big Prizes*

That was a teaser which I will follow up on next Monday (Jan 2nd). I was surprised last year to get only 28 players, not much more then what we have in this game.
Anyway, there are "wild card" games on Jan 7th and 8th that will decide the final few slots. Only after that will the brackets be set for the remainder of the contest. So the "wild card" games will be called "optional, practice games" for those of us here. But then, after that, players will have to pick all the way through to the end in one sitting - three weeks in all.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 02:59 pm
Week #17:
Mia
NE
Tenn
Jax
Phil
Chi
NO
SF
Det (!)
Balt
Pitt
Den
AZ
Oak
Atl
NYG 30-23
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 04:11 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I think your game needs an evolutionary tweak.

What I have in mind will give CT a chance. And jespah. Would you like a demo on week 17? As it stands I think I could pick next seasons top 6 in the standings from 8 players.

BTW--I have no wish to take over. Making the game more interesting is all I want.
0 Replies