US To Return To Moon ... and Beyond

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:05 pm
No Frank, your inability to see the distinction i am making is simply wrong--and i am not at all surprised by this mental lapsus on your part. You've always displayed a complete inability to see what you hadn't thought of yourself.

You, Frank, are wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
No Frank, your inability to see the distinction i am making is simply wrong--and i am not at all surprised by this mental lapsus on your part. You've always displayed a complete inability to see what you hadn't thought of yourself.

You, Frank, are wrong.

Nope, Set, I'm pretty sure you are wrong here.

But I can see that you are bunkering right now, so I doubt you will be able to see it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
No, Frank, Set, I am wrong.

'K, now can we get back to normal conversation mode ? ;-)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:00 pm
nimh wrote:
No, Frank, Set, I am wrong.

'K, now can we get back to normal conversation mode ? ;-)

Oh, since you put it that way -- sure we can.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:34 pm
Och, Frank, now you're out of character! Your in-character response would have been "Maybe we can, maybe we can't. There's no point in guessing about these things, and there's no shame in just saying 'I don't know'. It's a sign of strength even."

Good night Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
Och, Frank, now you're out of character! Your in-character response would have been "Maybe we can, maybe we can't. There's no point in guessing about these things, and there's no shame in just saying 'I don't know'. It's a sign of strength even."

Good night Wink

I like that, Thomas! :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:16 pm
Earth, cantcha all think of earth for a bit, with a trillion?

What would you do, with a trillion, here, given that another trillion would go towards understanding Mars. (****, Mars?)

I'm not as hostile as I sound. Let's say you have your trillion for the Mars colony, what do I get for the earth?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:33 am
ossobuco wrote:
Earth, cantcha all think of earth for a bit, with a trillion?

What would you do, with a trillion, here, given that another trillion would go towards understanding Mars. (****, Mars?)

I'm not as hostile as I sound. Let's say you have your trillion for the Mars colony, what do I get for the earth?

You get Mars!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 05:56 am
Why not get your trillions from the military's budget, that seeming bottomless well?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 06:43 am
I'd say, EB, that just like the space budget, the military budget is about PR--national pride--when it comes to administration decisions, as well as lining the pockets of wealthy contributors, which is the motivation of both the executive and the legislative branches. Claims about a "defense" budget are ludicrous, a truly ugly joke when viewed in the light of deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq. Military spending outstrips all other forms, because its such an easy sell to the electorate. Afghanistan is just barely justifiable, although its being screwed up by cheapness.

The space budget lines pockets as well, hence the attraction for members of Congress. But it can't appeal nearly so well to the fears of the electorate, so it isn't as attractive to the politician.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:12 am
setanta
I live in Houston. You can imagine the fever pitch that's been building here since Dumya began dribbling out his announcement all these days. To hear local casters, it's a done deal. I guess reality won't be allowed to enter any of it until the election is over.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:14 am
I see in today's news that Bush has asked for NASA's budget to be increased by 10% to facilitate some of these things.

The show goes on.

I bet they never get it!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:32 am
I don't understand the govt's willingness to spend all that time , science, and human life on the space station and just dump it like that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:38 am
I can imagine, HB, I used to live in Crystal City, just across the river from D.C. After the 1969 moon landing, the boys in the lobby of the Williard (the hotel lobby from which the term "lobbyist" comes) were walkin' on air.

Pork for millions of dollars is bad enough, but probably a necessary evil of the system. This latest scam, though represents, billions we don't have, thanks to the current adminstration, and is simply electioneering. I am very cynical, as i do believe we should support science, and off-planet exploration--but it's never about that, it's always about political pork, its always about electioneering.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:09 pm
in this case in particular i couldn't agree more. he is suddenly sprouting billion dollar programs for more and more issues.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
in this case in particular i couldn't agree more. he is suddenly sprouting billion dollar programs for more and more issues.

You'd almost think an election were just around the corner!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 01:42 pm
Bush will make his "Kennedy-esqe" announcement on resuming the lunar and interplanetary explorations this afternoon.

(Factoid: as Governor of Texas for two terms -- eight years -- Bush never went to NASA in Houston.

His first visit ever was when the Challenger astronauts perished earlier this year.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:56 pm
Remember the school yard game that was called "crack the whip"? No? it was a game in the fifties... Well, I can't remember what game aspect it had, but the person at the tail was in trouble.

I feel like that, in terms of power for change, sometimes.
I'm not unable to assert myself politically and do speak up, but still, sometimes I feel at the end of that line of kids.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:53 pm
Nice analogy. I know what you mean.

(We played it while ice skating, 70's-80's.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:35 pm
I think the idea of space travel and exploration is exciting, romantic and a stellar example of the best of the human spirit. But.........

WE CAN'T AFFORD IT NOW!!!!!!!

We need to quit pissing money away on useless crap and figure out how to take care of our own first......IMO

By the way, how about undersea exploration. We don't know much more about what's under water than we do space.
0 Replies