Ways you've changed since you started reading/posting at a2k

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 04:26 pm
whether it was because of something other a2kers expressed in their posts, or because you learned something elsewhere, or got tired of what you liked before -

I'll start with an easy one -

I used to rail mightily against whole wheat bread. I remember commenting about a good restaurant in Hopland, California ruining their otherwise delicious burgers by only having whole wheat buns.
Not having tasted those there lately, I'm not sure if it was the usual store bun bad taste emanating through, or if I would like them now. I do know that a good part of my shunning was because of the taste of ordinary store whole wheat bread. Bad flannel. Not that I liked ordinary store white bread either, but pretty good hearth breads made with unbleached flour were available. I did like, probably even back then, nice and gritty mixed grain breads, but not so much that I would somehow change from having unbleached flour or semolina breads be my dominant bread interest.

My biases broke down, enough that different grain breads interest me more now.. Well, it's taken long enough, cheesit. I first started not liking 'whole wheat' a long time ago.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 2,489 • Replies: 29

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I used to cook over mesquite briquets till roger gave me a host of ****.

Ive become sloppier in my writing since A2K is mostly a first darft world.

Ive been painting more ever since SHEPAINTS got me going again

Ive learned to keep a journal

Im waay more open to movies suggestions cause of many of you.

Ive gotten less tolerant of utter bullshit like the kind H2O, gunga, spendi and ANUS peddle.

Ive tried other boards whenever 2K gets relly boring like it often does around the US summer and the holidays.

Ive become less tolerant of gun nuts they seem to be stuck in one groove
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
((((shepaints))))
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive gotten less tolerant of utter bullshit like the kind H2O, gunga, spendi and ANUS peddle.
I second that motion.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@rosborne979,
Did you change any of your takes on any of your opinions?

This is sort of not fair as people like me post about our general interests more often than you do, rosborne - so I am just throwing this out.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
@ossobuco,
well, I think I read ros posts as much as anyone and he will extend his opinions in areas that interest him.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Why I like him, yes, not that he could know that, but, rosborne, have you changed on anything?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:11 pm
A2K has made me more tolerant of views different than my own. I am less self-righteous.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I've changed a lot since joining A2K/Abuzz, but I'm not sure how much of it is due to A2K or simply to me changing over (a long) time.

As a result of A2K, I've gained some answers to a few things which I didn't know before, but I don't think I've changed my basic viewpoint on most (or any) things. But my positions were very well considered and backed up long before A2K so it may not be surprising that not much has changed. I don't think many of my basic viewpoints changed much after 25 years of age (and that was long before I joined A2K).

One thing I've noticed from discussions on A2K is that I'm less tolerant of utter bullshit. I'm also far more cynical of much of the information available on the Internet (and A2K). Lots of people are frauds and lots of information is simply garbage.

One thing that I've learned from A2K is that there are many people out there that are worth listening to, some for a different viewpoint, some for valuable knowledge, and some just for sheer fun. But there are also many who are not worthy of attention. There is far too much information available in the world today (and in A2K specifically) to devote attention to every flashy light and buzzy noise that floats by.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
When I got a computer, I was intimidated by the whole process. Abuzz caught my attention for the interesting people on there. I was insecure throughout the whole experience, but hung in, until some good friendships began to develop. During this time, I began working at an apartment complex. Whereas I had been shy, to a point of morbidity, in that situation, I was forced to face people and deal with them. Between Abuzz/A2K, and that situation, I began to come out of a shell. I have learned to relax and deal with people these days, although I will put persons on ignore when they make my on line experience unpleasant.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Off the top of my head, on the run....

I read a lot more than I post these days. I don't feel the need to contribute to some threads which I find really interesting (like I used to) when I know heaps less about the subject than the contributing posters.

I used to become very upset by rudeness, overt & unnecessary aggression & personal insults. When directed at me or at other posters. Now I tend to just thumb down such comments & move on a lot more easily.

Ditto with posters who attempt to deliberately derail a thread discussion by continual trollish posts which have little to do with the intended discussion. I rarely read their posts anymore. I already know what to expect! Smile

I'm finding it much easier to walk away from threads I've initially been very involved in when they go completely off the rails.

I'm much more selective about which threads I read or participate in now. For example, some posters (like boomerang & quite a few others I could name) are always good value & have thoughtful, interesting things to say & I'll always check out their threads & comments. On the other hand, I think I know just about everything I need to know about the oppression of white men by "feminists", so there's no need to explore any further. Wink

I'll probably think of more things to say later, but this will do for now .....

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 07:53 pm
I'm somewhat shorter.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:07 pm
@George,
Snort.

You may be shorter, but not dumber.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Have you gotten wittier or just more free with expressing it?
To me, you seem more free.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:37 pm
Interesting thread, Osso. I don't know what to say. I began in 2002, I think, after a stint with Abuzz. I think I preach less than before, but I can still be very boring, as shown by the lack of responses I get to my "mystical" stuff.
Nevertheless, I'll continue because of the great opportunity to put ideas into words. A2K is wonderful for that.
msolga

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:44 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
...I can still be very boring, as shown by the lack of responses I get to my "mystical" stuff.

I always read what you post, JL.
Your posts to the art threads, your "mystical" posts, your jokes ....
You are not in the least bit boring.
Quite the opposite.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 08:55 pm
@JLNobody,
You know I'm a fan, JL - I think of you as a key poster on a2k and as a dear friend besides. However, I pretty much understand nothing you say (that's my way) - which you have long known - except about art. Well, that is slightly kidding, I do understand sometimes, but as a generality, that's true.

I know you are careful with your choices of words, and your precision is a kind of sculpture.

If anything, I think you have gotten more precise, but I'm not the one to say that (see above).

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:26 pm
@JLNobody,
I love your posts, jl. I just don't have the right stuff to reply most of the time.
farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Id say more to JL but Im afraid that Buddhism is catching
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2011 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm wrinklier, greyer and 50% wiser.
0 Replies