Slip?What does it mean here?

Nancy88

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:18 pm
I will start paying attention to myself .When I start thinking that I don’t need a shower because the plants didin’t die when I walked past, then I will know I’m starting to slip.

What does the word "slip" mean here? Does it mean the writer realizes that she is making a mistake when the thought that 'I don’t need a shower because the plants didin’t die when I walked past' emerges in her mind?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 700 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:11 am
@Nancy88,
No, this is a person who suffers from depression. She or he has made a promise to themselves, a vow that if or when things start to slip, or go wrong and before he or she falls headlong into the blackness where he or she stops caring about herself, they will notice the signs and work to keep things good, balanced, healthy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 03:56 am
The use of the verb "to slip" in this context means to begin to fall below a certain standard.
McTag

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 05:58 am
@Setanta,

Not too much to add to this.

"Your standards are slipping" is a common phrase which is self-explanatory I think.
0 Replies